• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trades made while drinking....legit?

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone please take a moment to comment if you have a chance here.

A trade was made in a keeper league over the weekend at my party SAT night.

Here's my best recollection of the events:

When talking over potential keepers, the owner of Jimmy Graham said that JG is probably his only locked in player as of now. The owner of AP then said that he loves Graham, and would trade AP for Graham straight up.

Both parties confirmed the deal, shook hands.
At which point, (as commish) I said that I witnessed the deal and could put it up for league vote the next day.

Original AP owner then said he thought he was getting extra draft picks in the deal, at which point everyone that witnessed the deal began laughing, further increasing his feelings of making a bad deal.

Now the AP owner wants out of the deal, and is claiming that he wasn't in the proper 'state of mind' as we were all drunk at a party.

What are your thoughts on how I should handle this as the commissioner?

most up-to-date info on proceedings: I told them to hash it out and tell me what they come up with. So far, they have only come up with a lot of name calling and no deal. AP owner wants it to be a multi player deal before giving it the green light now. Graham owner wants the straight up deal that they agreed upon.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say the only one who can let him out of it is the other owner.

But if there's a league vote process, let him plead his case to everybody.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't like one was drinking and the other wasn't. They both agreed, and it sounds like the AP owner is having second thoughts. My opinion, they shook on it, deal done.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats one of the biggest negatives to being a commish. I myself have had way too many of these situations myself.

I say force them to talk it out and if they are still at an deadlock leave it up to league vote.

Bandit

RIP to the real Bandit
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Wil. I think the only person that can let them out of the deal is the other owner. Drunk is not an excuse to get out of the trade. As commish I think you have to just let the league vote on it. Look at it this way, if they had both been drunk while on their computers and agreed to the trade on the website, you wouldn't let them pull out of it later. Just because you witnessed the drinking doesn't change the fact that they both agreed to the trade.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there is a league vote on trades, then put it to the league to decide.

personally, if I was a manager of another team, I'd probably vote it down, just because it would seem the guy getting AP would get significantly better as he's not giving equal value.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well - made them hash it out on their own, like big boys.

Graham owner decided to not force the trade through. IMO, he is better for it. He has some decent value with his current RB group (gets to drop Rice and free up his 2nd or 3rd rd pick, Mathews at 5th rd value, Murray at 6th) so I think all should be good in the long run.

The AP owner would have been screwed at RB with Reggie Bush the only one worth keeping, and no picks in the 1st 2 rounds if the trade went through.

Sent a league wide message encouraging all owners to bust the balls of the AP guy for backing out. Im pretty sure 2-3 of the other guys will get him good throughout the season.

I even went as far as telling the Graham owner to throw Rice into the deal and get Antonio Brown, cause he is set at RB, and needs WR help in the worst way

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if there is a league vote on trades, then put it to the league to decide.

personally, if I was a manager of another team, I'd probably vote it down, just because it would seem the guy getting AP would get significantly better as he's not giving equal value.

My only question is when do trades become official in your league? I think the AP owner could make a case that the trade is not official until accepted on whatever fantasy platform you all use. The drunk part is irrelevant IMO.

Also, this is not a trade that I would do, but I don't think it is a bad trade at all. In redrafts, AP is a top 3 pick and Graham is usually ranked between 10 and 15. In a keeper though, AP has lot of miles on his tires. Contrary to popular belief, he is not superman and he will in fact decline at some point. Maybe this year?

IMO, Graham should be a fantasy stud for years to come, while AP may only have 1-3 more seasons of fantasy dominance. I don't think a straight up deal is any way unreasonable, and I think it is quite possible that everyone would be laughing at the owner getting AP in a couple years.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only question is when do trades become official in your league? I think the AP owner could make a case that the trade is not official until accepted on whatever fantasy platform you all use. The drunk part is irrelevant IMO.

Also, this is not a trade that I would do, but I don't think it is a bad trade at all. In redrafts, AP is a top 3 pick and Graham is usually ranked between 10 and 15. In a keeper though, AP has lot of miles on his tires. Contrary to popular belief, he is not superman and he will in fact decline at some point. Maybe this year?

IMO, Graham should be a fantasy stud for years to come, while AP may only have 1-3 more seasons of fantasy dominance. I don't think a straight up deal is any way unreasonable, and I think it is quite possible that everyone would be laughing at the owner getting AP in a couple years.

I made that exact same point to the Graham owner, cause they were still trying to work out a multi player or player + picks deal, and once I mentioned that to him via text, all of their trade talks quieted down real quick. I think he finally realized the value in his mid-round RBs already on his roster. having good players as your keepers AND having some of your top few draft picks available is a huge advantage in this league

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would need to know the keeper rules of the league...

For example if there is only one keeper and that keeper is a first rounder automaticallty, then it is a totally unfair trade...

Depending on the keeper league rules, its hard to measure the fairness of the trade, and therefore, can not really give you a good answer to the question...

But with a voting system, and if your fellow owners are fair, then i am sure it doesnt matter...

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yeah, i always send my trade proposals on fri/sat nights for that exact reason!

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if it's a voting league, let the votes determine.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tlance makes a great point. It would be no surprise if Graham outscores the average of the top 12 TEs by 50 FF pts per season over the next five years. That might make him the single most valuable keeper you can have.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm in the minority here, but for me, in the fantasy world, the technological age has taken over hand shakes and "given words". If it isn't accepted on the website, I say it's free game to flip flop how ever one chooses.

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm in the minority here, but for me, in the fantasy world, the technological age has taken over hand shakes and "given words". If it isn't accepted on the website, I say it's free game to flip flop how ever one chooses.

Gotta agree with TKO. If your teams didn't make it official on whatever web site and click on "Accept Trade" then there is still time to change one's mind. About the only time I'd say the trade goes through is if it occurs mid-draft and picks are exchanged. Once one of the first traded picks is used, the deal can't be undone.

DuffBeer Doug

Burn on big river,burn on
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wazzup gentlemen? See you guys pretty much set the land-speed record for the draft this year. Again, sorry I couldn't take part. Been fixing stuff up around the house and it goes on the market Thursday morning. Then it's house hunting for the wife and I. Houses have been selling in under 3 weeks in my development so hopefully I'll be all settled in a new house and ready for the MBBRL draft come August or whenever we draft.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Normally i would agree with this but the problem is that an owner believes the deal to be true, there was no rule against handshake deals, and the league has a voting system...

If the league didnt have a voting system then i would say no trade, but since it does, why open up a case for potential problems???

If the league is with GOOD owners, it will not be a problem!!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A mans only as good as his word. Drunk or not drunk, I say it's a deal. :suds:

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't like one was drinking and the other wasn't. They both agreed, and it sounds like the AP owner is having second thoughts. My opinion, they shook on it, deal done.

:agree:

As commish, i would tell the JG owner its up to him, if he wants to let him out, let him out, if not, it goes to league vote............you shook, thats binding

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:

As commish, i would tell the JG owner its up to him, if he wants to let him out, let him out, if not, it goes to league vote............you shook, thats binding

everyone has a great point

i being ol school believe in Steelers point you shook that is binding

Tlance's assessment of JG/Ap value is bang on i myself would rather have Jimmy in a keeper league..

and of course i ever present voice of reason WW mentions the perfect solution and that is to leave it the JG owners hand as did Steeler

and again a handshake should be as good as gold...never shake if you don't mean it....