• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Thread

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first of many trades that should occur in the next couple of weeks.

Angels Acquire Joe Thatcher, Tony Campana

via MLBTR

10:19am: The Diamondbacks will receive outfielder Zach Borenstein and right-hander Joey Krehbiel, tweets Heyman.

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times notes (via Twitter) Borenstein was the Angels’ minor league player of the year in 2013 (.337/.403/.631 at Class A-Advanced Inland Empire). The 23-year-old (the Angels’ 23rd-round selection in 2011), however, hasn’t been able to replicate those numbers this season while bouncing back and forth between Double-A (.266/.338/.440 in 207 plate appearances) and Triple-A (.256/.279/.342 in 123 plate appearances).

Krehbiel is an interesting bullpen arm with a fastball sitting between 92-95 MPH with a good slider, tweets Piecoro. The 21-year-old (taken in the same draft as Borenstein, but in the 12th round) has compiled a 2.00 ERA, 11.5 K/9, and 3.5 BB/9 with five saves in 17 appearances covering 18 innings this season for Class-A Burlington and Class A-Advanced Inland Empire.

10:00am: Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (on Twitter) heard last night that the Halos would be giving up a minor league second baseball in a Thatcher deal. Either Taylor Lindsey or Alex Yarbrough makes sense, according to Passan.

9:48am: The D’Backs get a few prospects in the deal and one is a high-ranking prospect, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Arizona is saving about $1.1MM with this deal, Piecoro tweets.

9:33am: The D’Backs are receiving a prospect and another minor leaguer in the deal, tweets Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic.

8:57am: The Angels are set to acquire Joe Thatcher and Tony Campana from the Diamondbacks, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The return is not yet known.

Rosenthal reported late last night that the Angels were on the hunt for a left-handed reliever and Thatcher was high on their wish list. Thatcher, who will be a free agent at season’s end, has a 2.63 ERA with 9.4 K/9 and 1.1 BB/9 through 37 appearances this season.

For his career, the 32-year-old owns a 3.26 ERA with 9.4 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 across eight seasons with the Padres and Diamondbacks. Now, he’ll ply his craft for the Halos in what will be his first time outside of the NL West. Thatcher is a rather inexpensive addition for the Halos as they’re on the hook for the prorated portion of his $2.375MM deal.

Campana, 28, hasn’t done much offensively this season, hitting .150/.164/.200 in 61 plate appearances. In four years for the Cubs and D’Backs, Campana has hit .246/.294/.286 in 239 total games. Still, the speedy outfielder has managed to provide value even when he’s not doing much with his bat. He has 66 career stolen bases and a career 14.6 UZR/150 in the outfield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trades have begun. I predicted that about the 2nd week in July is when we will start seeing some trading.

I like Krehbiel. But I think adding Borenstein is just a flyer or AA/AAA filler for upcoming trades that could possibly involve Parra/Ross. He set to be 24 in 2 weeks so the chances of him panning out are slim. But you never know with guy who was just raking last season in A+. I think Krehbiel is they key in the trade.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buzz is picking up around Prado/Hill to the Blue Jays. With them preferring Prado.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now essentially the Ian Kennedy trade ends up being for Matt Stites, Joey Krehbiel and a draft pick.

Stites already looks like a promising 7th/8th inning guy and Krehbiel could turn out to be a very nice late game reliever as well. Not too shabby.

This also probably means that La Russa was the one that pulled the trigger.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buzz is picking up around Prado/Hill to the Blue Jays. With them preferring Prado.

I wonder what we could get for those guys. Both of their contracts are pricey, so I imagine we'd have to eat some salary in order to get a decent return.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what we could get for those guys. Both of their contracts are pricey, so I imagine we'd have to eat some salary in order to get a decent return.

I would prefer that Hill gets traded & we let the trio of young guys man up the middle for the rest of the season. And then trade either Ahmed or Didi in the offseason when we figure out if those guys will be able to hit or not. Ownings is a keeper whether at SS or 2B.

A possible trade package being rumored doesn't look that good. What I've read so far doesn't seem like much of a return from Toronto unless we eat more salary. But the guys being rumored are "meh" guys like Kevin Pillar, Ryan Goins, or Anthony Gose & a mix of lower level guys. To me that is junk.

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on Hill would be the better for a trade

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like this deal! I would give it a B/B-. We actually got some potential for thatcher. He was one of the less hated guys in our bullpen. This definitely doesn't smell like a towers trade. Hill should be next!

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of the cubs/A's trade? I think it was a great deal for both teams and could be what puts the A's over the hump. Maybe even World Series contenders?!?!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of the cubs/A's trade? I think it was a great deal for both teams and could be what puts the A's over the hump. Maybe even World Series contenders?!?!

That rotation is scary good now. Love that team... I'm gonna pull for them to win it all because they do it "the right way".

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the trade for the A's. This puts them in serious contention for the WS. I hope they can sign Samardjdsjj to a long term deal.

While the cubs got some top level talent, I think they have accumulated more than enough high-ceiling SS. So even though he ranked as one of the top hitting prospects in the game it's almost redundant with Castro on the team with a good contract through 2019. But I read that both Baez & Russell are big for the position & may not stay there.

Either way, both clubs made out in this deal for now.

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Diamondbacks need a completely new pitching staff. I have never seen anything as terrible as the pitching the team has had this year. The only two starters I would keep are Chase Anderson and Josh Collmenter. However, I would put Collmenter back into the bullpen. I think him as the long reliever with spot starts throughout the season is what he is best at. As for the rest of the starters, get rid of them. Especially the two biggest losers McCarthy and Cahill. I bet some people forgot about Cahill because he is in Triple-A. That horror of a pitcher still lurks down there in the depths of the Diamondbacks system and they need to get rid of him as soon as possible.

The only players I would keep are Goldschmidt, Owings, Parra, and Pollock. Peralta is also someone to hold onto. I do not really care about anyone else. I would get rid of Gregorious too. He makes so many careless errors and can barely hit. Get rid of everyone in the bullpen too except Marshall and Stites. The Diamondbacks basically have to undo almost every single move that Kevin Towers made. The guy has been a disaster for this franchise. Mickey Mouse would run this team better than Towers.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see what La Russa does now that he is pulling strings. And, it will be interesting to see how long he holds onto KT.

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Diamondbacks need a completely new pitching staff. I have never seen anything as terrible as the pitching the team has had this year. The only two starters I would keep are Chase Anderson and Josh Collmenter. However, I would put Collmenter back into the bullpen. I think him as the long reliever with spot starts throughout the season is what he is best at. As for the rest of the starters, get rid of them. Especially the two biggest losers McCarthy and Cahill. I bet some people forgot about Cahill because he is in Triple-A. That horror of a pitcher still lurks down there in the depths of the Diamondbacks system and they need to get rid of him as soon as possible.

The only players I would keep are Goldschmidt, Owings, Parra, and Pollock. Peralta is also someone to hold onto. I do not really care about anyone else. I would get rid of Gregorious too. He makes so many careless errors and can barely hit. Get rid of everyone in the bullpen too except Marshall and Stites. The Diamondbacks basically have to undo almost every single move that Kevin Towers made. The guy has been a disaster for this franchise. Mickey Mouse would run this team better than Towers.

Yep...pretty much. My list only includes goldy, pollock, owings and Marshall. Peralta would be a nice keep and I have not given up on stites even though he has looked ineffective so far. The rest are expendable!

Btw...it is very hard to forget that we still have Cahill! 10 million times hard!

tuffydahog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is actually gone. Very good news. Now the next big one to go has to be Cahill. The Diamondbacks will probably have to eat some salary to get rid of him, but it will be worth it. They must trade him.