• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Giroux?

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Is there any one player in the entire league you would trade GIroux for? Crosby? Ovechkin? DOughty? A goalie? Just hypothetical obviously. But I got to thinking about it, and I can't come up with one player I would hands down trade away #28 for. Definitely not a forward.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question/topic. Are you taking salary into account? Or is this just a straight up player for player swap (meaning $ is equal) to make your team better?

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Crosby was healthy it would take a lot more than Giroux to acquire him.

As for healthy players Tyler Seguin. This kid is going to be very special.

first bold, not true, it would take more than just giroux but not a lot.

second bold, don't see anything from him that i didnt see in giroux his first couple years.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's nobody i would trade him for straight up. only guy i'd think about it for would be lundqvist, cause he's single handedly gotten the rags to the playoffs basically every season they've been to the playoffs since he got there (this year is excluded, they actually have some decent players now)

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's nobody i would trade him for straight up. only guy i'd think about it for would be lundqvist, cause he's single handedly gotten the rags to the playoffs basically every season they've been to the playoffs since he got there (this year is excluded, they actually have some decent players now)

I have to agree with this.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming contract/money wasn't involved (i.e. - player for player swap to make my team better), I'd trade Claude Giroux for Shea Weber in a heartbeat.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming contract/money wasn't involved (i.e. - player for player swap to make my team better), I'd trade Claude Giroux for Shea Weber in a heartbeat.

this may be way off base, but i think a stud center has a bigger impact than a stud d-man.. JMO..

aka, i think shea weber might be better at his position than giroux, but i think giroux plays a more vital role.

ProppRules

Flyers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Take everything into account. I would trade him for a healthy Crosby, but he isn't. SO would you risk it? I would trade him for a 23 year old Datsyuk, but he is older. Money, contract, everything. SImilarly, Lundquist might be too old for me. I would need an under 25 year old proven talent coming back for him. I don't see too many that I would jump at. Seguin? Maybe in a few years. Right now, no way they are equal in value.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this may be way off base, but i think a stud center has a bigger impact than a stud d-man.. JMO..

aka, i think shea weber might be better at his position than giroux, but i think giroux plays a more vital role.

I think a Stud #1 dman is more important than a Stud #1 center. However, that's just my opinion, I'm not in any way saying that you're wrong. (it also obviously depends on what other types of players are on the team as far as needs go)

When doing these types of analyzations, I always try to see what I think would happen if the players actually switched teams. I think the Flyers would still easily make the playoffs with Weber and minus Giroux. I think the Preds would drop out of the playoff race with Giroux and minus Weber. Obviously, once again, just my opinion.

Shea Weber has been helping to lead the Preds to the playoffs year in and year out with only Ryan Suter and Pekka Rinne to help. Last year their #1 Center was David fecking Legwand. Don't get me wrong, he's very good defensively and can score 40 - 50 pts, but he's not a prototypcal #1 Center. Giroux is on a team that is near the Salary Cap ($69.1mil) and one that's middle of the pack but closer to the Salary Floor ($49.7mil). The Preds main offensive threat in the playoffs was Joel Ward!

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick Nash? Steve Stamkos? Nah, I'll stick with G.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a Stud #1 dman is more important than a Stud #1 center. However, that's just my opinion, I'm not in any way saying that you're wrong. (it also obviously depends on what other types of players are on the team as far as needs go)

When doing these types of analyzations, I always try to see what I think would happen if the players actually switched teams. I think the Flyers would still easily make the playoffs with Weber and minus Giroux. I think the Preds would drop out of the playoff race with Giroux and minus Weber. Obviously, once again, just my opinion.

Shea Weber has been helping to lead the Preds to the playoffs year in and year out with only Ryan Suter and Pekka Rinne to help. Last year their #1 Center was David fecking Legwand. Don't get me wrong, he's very good defensively and can score 40 - 50 pts, but he's not a prototypcal #1 Center. Giroux is on a team that is near the Salary Cap ($69.1mil) and one that's middle of the pack but closer to the Salary Floor ($49.7mil).

all fairness to weber, suter and rinne aren't a terrible supporting cast especially when barry trotz is coaching.. pekka rinne is actually another name i'll put in their with lundqvist cause i think rinne is outstanding and he's younger.. granted rinne does play behind suter/weber which definitely helps his case

the way i see it, a stud forward can carry a team and a stud goalie can carry a team.. i just think dmen have to do too much to really carry a team (scoring and defending)

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all fairness to weber, suter and rinne aren't a terrible supporting cast especially when barry trotz is coaching.. pekka rinne is actually another name i'll put in their with lundqvist cause i think rinne is outstanding and he's younger.. granted rinne does play behind suter/weber which definitely helps his case

the way i see it, a stud forward can carry a team and a stud goalie can carry a team.. i just think dmen have to do too much to really carry a team (scoring and defending)

They are a very capable supporting cast.....they're also the ONLY part of the supporting cast. Go look at their roster. Kevin Klein is the #3 defenseman. Trotz is a hell of a coach though, you'll get no argument from me there.

Again, all due respect to Giroux, I'd much rather have a supporting cast of Briere (even in his down year this year), Jagr, Hartnell, Timmonen, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn. Also, when you go down to the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defenseman, the discrepancies favor Philly as well. If Nashville just raised their budget $10mil per year, they could have signed Brad Richards and been a true Cup Contender....and they'd still have approximately $10mil less of a cap hit than Philly.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no one currently playing hockey who I would trafe straight up for giroux, if it was weber & a high 1st I'd consider it. Guys like G don't come along very often and he'll be a pleasure to watch in the orange & black for the next 12+ years. It'll be nice to see his number retired at some point as well.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a very capable supporting cast.....they're also the ONLY part of the supporting cast. Go look at their roster. Kevin Klein is the #3 defenseman. Trotz is a hell of a coach though, you'll get no argument from me there.

Again, all due respect to Giroux, I'd much rather have a supporting cast of Briere (even in his down year this year), Jagr, Hartnell, Timmonen, Meszaros, Carle and Coburn. Also, when you go down to the bottom 6 forwards and bottom 3 defenseman, the discrepancies favor Philly as well. If Nashville just raised their budget $10mil per year, they could have signed Brad Richards and been a true Cup Contender....and they'd still have approximately $10mil less of a cap hit than Philly.

oh i know, i wasn't saying the preds have a better supporting cast.. no way in hell.. i was just saying that weber has guys that make him look good too.. when he's out there, suter (they're a pair right?) and rinne are out there too.. there might not be a trio that'd be harder to score against than that one.. maybe girardi, staal, and lundqvist.. but after that, i dont think anyone is even close

edit: chara, seidenberg, and thomas are pretty tough too

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh i know, i wasn't saying the preds have a better supporting cast.. no way in hell.. i was just saying that weber has guys that make him look good too.. when he's out there, suter (they're a pair right?) and rinne are out there too.. there might not be a trio that'd be harder to score against than that one.. maybe girardi, staal, and lundqvist.. but after that, i dont think anyone is even close

edit: chara, seidenberg, and thomas are pretty tough too

Agreed. FWIW, if you were taking contracts into account, I would take Giroux above Weber. And yes, Suter and Weber are a defensive pairing.

Hey, at least you don't have Joe Thornton "leading" (and I use that term loosely, lol) your team and taking up $7.2mil of cap space. :L

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Stamkos SU. A huge package maybe, but other than that no.

JVR on the other hand... :) MWAHAHAHAHA

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. FWIW, if you were taking contracts into account, I would take Giroux above Weber. And yes, Suter and Weber are a defensive pairing.

Hey, at least you don't have Joe Thornton "leading" (and I use that term loosely, lol) your team and taking up $7.2mil of cap space. :L

heh ya.. i've watched a good number of sharks games this season since they're the home team nowadays, and i think rooting for them would drive me crazy.. thornton (and marleau really) almost never looks like he's trying, at least from what i've seen and he's supposed to carry them

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope.

And if you factor in salary, then he's even less expendable since G at $3.75 million is probably the best bang for your buck non-entry level contract in the entire Nhl. Then factor in the two and a half seasons remaining on his deal. That is insane value.

I just hope we make the right call before the deadline, acquire a top two defenseman and win a Cup sometime before we have to give G a raise.