• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trade Courtland Sutton. Trade him

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that trading any player to just replace them with a rookie draft pick is insanity.

But I'd still trade most of the players for the right price, simply because sentiment is a great recipe for disaster.
You’re, right, Bill.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only player I would be giving up Sutton for is Watson. Until we have a legit QB, we need as many weapons to give whoever we have under center as possible. Lock was a much better QB with Sutton on the field. If we get rid of Sutton and are stuck with Lock, gonna be a long 21.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with trading Sutton is that his value has never been lower. Coming off a serious injury and only having one year of cost control I just can't see anyone giving up more than say a 2nd round pick in value. If he is included in the Watson/Wilson trade or possibly a trade up to get one of the top QB's I could maybe get behind it, but otherwise I think he is more valuable to the Broncos than to any other team in the league.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that trading any player to just replace them with a rookie draft pick is insanity.

But I'd still trade most of the players for the right price, simply because sentiment is a great recipe for disaster.

Back when Von Miller was in his prime there were people spouting off the Broncos need to trade him too. This stuff makes a lot of sense if you're a "win the draft" type of person. And there are a staggering number of fans and analysts alike who would rather win the draft than the Super Bowl. But I'm not one of them and I am always amused at this group who think trading one of the best pieces is always a good idea. That could make sense when the team is an utter dumpster fire with no pieces to build around and a complete rebuild on tap. But despite the 5-11 record I don't consider this team a dumpster fire. I consider 2020 a very unfortunate season. No off season for our young QB, an insane number of injuries to key components of both the offense and the defense, and a league showing favoritism to some teams and snubbing others. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying I don't think that was a normal 5-11 and I'm willing to give everyone involved a mulligan.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No no no in trading him. Absolutely not minus a no brainer or like someone else said if it involved Watson.

But absolutely not even a question here minus those scenarios.

Can we cut our covid scrub kicker from last year?

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when Von Miller was in his prime there were people spouting off the Broncos need to trade him too. This stuff makes a lot of sense if you're a "win the draft" type of person. And there are a staggering number of fans and analysts alike who would rather win the draft than the Super Bowl. But I'm not one of them and I am always amused at this group who think trading one of the best pieces is always a good idea. That could make sense when the team is an utter dumpster fire with no pieces to build around and a complete rebuild on tap. But despite the 5-11 record I don't consider this team a dumpster fire. I consider 2020 a very unfortunate season. No off season for our young QB, an insane number of injuries to key components of both the offense and the defense, and a league showing favoritism to some teams and snubbing others. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying I don't think that was a normal 5-11 and I'm willing to give everyone involved a mulligan.
Agreed, short of giving everyone a mulligan. I'm for trading anyone if it makes the team better (a Watson deal, for example). Again, I'm not in favor of trading anyone for a draft pick that has yet to prove himself in the NFL.

I'm willing to go to work with the team as it exists currently, and I'm not sure I buy the rumors that they dumbed down the playbook or that he can't get past his first read. He's got a huge footwork problem and problems trusting the pocket, but I think his brain is fine.

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the tread author, I want to clarify that I posted initially bassEd on an article written elsewhere. Also, the subséquent Racey McMath post was tongue-in-cheek as an opportunity to post a link of a mostly obscure prospect that has some talent. Not suggesting a Sutton for McMath swap.

I’m also not a ‘win the draft’ guy. I‘m more a (Mc)math guy. Re-read the featured article. Building a roster is tricky when you have a lot of big talent getting their slice of the teams limited resources. I’m not trying to get rid of, nor dislike, Sutton. Just thinking big picture and possibilities. If another GM called with a great proposal, then I’m listening if I’m Paton.
Here is more Courtland ink.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only trade Sutton for (2) 1sts and a 2nd .....and Ed Reeeeeeds Canton jacket.
Imagine that - you got POTM for having the most wrong takes we've seen in years. Still you have much more hair than @SpringStein and I'm sure that pays off with the chicks - and the hidden cabal of guys who pick POTM.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the tread author, I want to clarify that I posted initially bassEd on an article written elsewhere. Also, the subséquent Racey McMath post was tongue-in-cheek as an opportunity to post a link of a mostly obscure prospect that has some talent. Not suggesting a Sutton for McMath swap.

I’m also not a ‘win the draft’ guy. I‘m more a (Mc)math guy. Re-read the featured article. Building a roster is tricky when you have a lot of big talent getting their slice of the teams limited resources. I’m not trying to get rid of, nor dislike, Sutton. Just thinking big picture and possibilities. If another GM called with a great proposal, then I’m listening if I’m Paton.
Here is more Courtland ink.

Yeah, to clarify I was not talking about you, I was talking about the article you linked and the countless other idiotic articles like it. Over the years these types of articles pop up at the cyclic rate and over the years few of them ever make any sense.

As for the math, Sutton is on his rookie contract still. Most of our young offensive talent is, in fact. There will be big decisions looming for the offense after 2021. Let's have that discussion then, not now. Let's see if we can actually develop this unit into a functional offense for now.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, to clarify I was not talking about you, I was talking about the article you linked and the countless other idiotic articles like it. Over the years these types of articles pop up at the cyclic rate and over the years few of them ever make any sense.

As for the math, Sutton is on his rookie contract still. Most of our young offensive talent is, in fact. There will be big decisions looming for the offense after 2021. Let's have that discussion then, not now. Let's see if we can actually develop this unit into a functional offense for now.

I'll add to this.

As much as I personally still appreciate defense when watching a football game, the NFL has clearly decided it is no longer good for business. While it may be true that defense has stolen the show in 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, this is likely much to the league's chagrin. And let's not overlook that even though the Bucs defense played an eye-popping game against the Chiefs, the Bucs had a complete offense through the 2020 season.

The NFL will reward teams that forsake traditional football and get with the program and start towing the party line. Defense is no longer relevant. It sucks from a fan perspective but I guess it makes business sense in this era of the NFL. I'd love to see the Broncos defy that and make Goodell and his cronies wince and cringe by building a perennial contender who does it by playing defense. But we've seen what that gets the team: it just won't work anymore.

To be relevant the Broncos need to have a top-5 offense. They need a charismatic QB who has face of the league potential and they need to surround him by talent.

This is one of the biggest reasons I think any articles suggesting the team should trade Sutton are just fabulously idiotic. And I'm trying to be polite when I say that. That is a complete and utter failure to recognize the climate of the NFL today. Two of the last three Super Bowls show us defense still wins championships (give the NFL time and they'll figure out how to negate that) but you have to have an offense to even have a shot to get there.

Talk of trading Sutton is, quite politely, stupid.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine that - you got POTM for having the most wrong takes we've seen in years. Still you have much more hair than @SpringStein and I'm sure that pays off with the chicks - and the hidden cabal of guys who pick POTM.

lol... The "cabal" texts a few people in group chat and says "I'm gonna give it to "_______". The rest of the cabal go "okay" and minutes later, a thread is born.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... The "cabal" texts a few people in group chat and says "I'm gonna give it to "_______". The rest of the cabal go "okay" and minutes later, a thread is born.
Don't eat in restaurants where you've worked in the kitchen.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add to this.

As much as I personally still appreciate defense when watching a football game, the NFL has clearly decided it is no longer good for business. While it may be true that defense has stolen the show in 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls, this is likely much to the league's chagrin. And let's not overlook that even though the Bucs defense played an eye-popping game against the Chiefs, the Bucs had a complete offense through the 2020 season.

The NFL will reward teams that forsake traditional football and get with the program and start towing the party line. Defense is no longer relevant. It sucks from a fan perspective but I guess it makes business sense in this era of the NFL. I'd love to see the Broncos defy that and make Goodell and his cronies wince and cringe by building a perennial contender who does it by playing defense. But we've seen what that gets the team: it just won't work anymore.

To be relevant the Broncos need to have a top-5 offense. They need a charismatic QB who has face of the league potential and they need to surround him by talent.

This is one of the biggest reasons I think any articles suggesting the team should trade Sutton are just fabulously idiotic. And I'm trying to be polite when I say that. That is a complete and utter failure to recognize the climate of the NFL today. Two of the last three Super Bowls show us defense still wins championships (give the NFL time and they'll figure out how to negate that) but you have to have an offense to even have a shot to get there.

Talk of trading Sutton is, quite politely, stupid.

I would say what we are seeing with a lot of NFL teams is understanding that you have to be great at QB. That is a no brainer situation unless you have just some crazy luck fall your way like the Eagles did a few years ago. Given though they did have a top-5 QB most of the season that helped get them into position to win a Super Bowl. You have to have an average defense once you hit the playoffs. Chiefs last year saw their defense peak at the right time. Tampa Bay had one of the worst defenses to start the season, but got better as the season progressed. If you can have an elite QB with an average defense you stand a very good chance of competing for Super Bowls.

Beyond those two thoughts then we see weapons do matter as look at the final-4 teams in the Packers having maybe the best WR in football, great RB, and some ok complimentary pieces. Chiefs obviously loaded in this category as was Tampa Bay. Buffalo trading for Diggs was one of the best trades of the offseason. Then OL wise I would say as long as you have a competent unit you are fine.

Personally if we are looking at any skill position player to trade away it has to be Tim Patrick. His value has never been higher than it is now and if we are looking long-term future Sutton has the bigger chance to be a part of that. I think there will be some teams interested in him for a trade.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say what we are seeing with a lot of NFL teams is understanding that you have to be great at QB. That is a no brainer situation unless you have just some crazy luck fall your way like the Eagles did a few years ago. Given though they did have a top-5 QB most of the season that helped get them into position to win a Super Bowl. You have to have an average defense once you hit the playoffs. Chiefs last year saw their defense peak at the right time. Tampa Bay had one of the worst defenses to start the season, but got better as the season progressed. If you can have an elite QB with an average defense you stand a very good chance of competing for Super Bowls.

Beyond those two thoughts then we see weapons do matter as look at the final-4 teams in the Packers having maybe the best WR in football, great RB, and some ok complimentary pieces. Chiefs obviously loaded in this category as was Tampa Bay. Buffalo trading for Diggs was one of the best trades of the offseason. Then OL wise I would say as long as you have a competent unit you are fine.

Personally if we are looking at any skill position player to trade away it has to be Tim Patrick. His value has never been higher than it is now and if we are looking long-term future Sutton has the bigger chance to be a part of that. I think there will be some teams interested in him for a trade.
Patrick will have to sign is RFA tender before we can trade him. I have heard some rumblings of him getting a 2nd round tender and that he may get offers at that price. If he does, then I say good for him and we will take that 2nd round pick. He was undrafted so an original round tender doesn't buy us much, just like Lindsay.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick will have to sign is RFA tender before we can trade him. I have heard some rumblings of him getting a 2nd round tender and that he may get offers at that price. If he does, then I say good for him and we will take that 2nd round pick. He was undrafted so an original round tender doesn't buy us much, just like Lindsay.

Yeah I would say worth it to put that 2nd round tender on him and see if you get anyone to bite. Same with Lindsay although I have a hard time seeing anyone willing to trade a 2nd round pick for a RB that is a bit limited and has some injury history when you have a decent RB class to pick from.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would say worth it to put that 2nd round tender on him and see if you get anyone to bite. Same with Lindsay although I have a hard time seeing anyone willing to trade a 2nd round pick for a RB that is a bit limited and has some injury history when you have a decent RB class to pick from.
Agreed. Lindsay is probably on the team this year if we offer him a 2nd round tender. Patrick might get picked up for a 2nd round pick and I would be very happy for him and the Broncos. Patrick gets a chance to be starter and the Broncos get a 2nd round draft pick to make some of my dreams come true in the draft. :D

I think Cleveland is his replacement.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Lindsay is probably on the team this year if we offer him a 2nd round tender. Patrick might get picked up for a 2nd round pick and I would be very happy for him and the Broncos. Patrick gets a chance to be starter and the Broncos get a 2nd round draft pick to make some of my dreams come true in the draft. :D

I think Cleveland is his replacement.

I really liked what Cleveland showed in his limited reps. And agree that if you can get a 2nd for Tim Patrick it is really a win/win for both sides. If Sutton is healthy then Patrick is going to struggle to get the reps that he deserves.