• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: TOR @ SEA August 13-15 - Wild Card Race

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of the biggest series this time of the year the team has played in 20ish years. Let's hope the bats can wake up.

Game 1: Flexen vs Robbie Ray

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally an early lead.

Hard hit balls off of Flexen, luckily at guys so far, so gonna have to add on

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally an early lead.

Hard hit balls off of Flexen, luckily at guys so far, so gonna have to add on
Yeah, but how soon we forget...

YOU CAN'T TRUST US WITH AN EARLY L.EAD.

No sooner did that happen, we coughed it up and let them tie.

Still gonna see that from us here and there.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but how soon we forget...

YOU CAN'T TRUST US WITH AN EARLY L.EAD.

No sooner did that happen, we coughed it up and let them tie.

Still gonna see that from us here and there.

Toronto can mash the ball. Good defense so far, and that run scoring single was a good pitch, just beat the infield. Can't expect to score 2 and beat these guys, so just gotta hold on grind some at bats.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was a hell of a call by the home plate ump. He never tagged him? But video review called out?? hmmm

Msfann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The blue jays got screwed there. I don't think replay showed enough.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strings on the catcher's mitten barely caught the arm? Crazy having to make that call.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was a hell of a call by the home plate ump. He never tagged him? But video review called out?? hmmm

Crazy. The only thing I can imagine is Murphy grazed his hand as it's coming in. I'm shocked they overturned that, especially that quickly.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The blue jays got screwed there. I don't think replay showed enough.
My thought exactly, the initial call was safe and I thought there has to be indisputable video evidence to overturn a call, just like in football. Looks very disputable to me.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 22 year old to go up there with the bases loaded bottom of the 9th to have the strength and patience to take 4 straight balls is incredible. This kid will be special.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All with 2 outs. Great win

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a 22 year old to go up there with the bases loaded bottom of the 9th to have the strength and patience to take 4 straight balls is incredible. This kid will be special.

For the Mariners sake, lets hope your premonition holds true.

The 4 pitches I saw him take were far far off the plate and nowhere near even remotely being a borderline strike. When the count got to 2-0 Kelenic's had a spot the size of a chocolate chip cookie he would swing at maybe on the 3rd pitch, ONLY if the next pitch was a fastball and hit that 'cookie spot, - Then the 3-0 pitch was a 100% take no matter what. Luckily for him the 1st pitch was clearly a ball that helped him relax some and focus on making a good swing at a good pitch in the strike zone.

He can finish this season batting his current .150ish and focus on 2022 busting out of camp with a clear head and let at bats come naturally to him. he is a pure hitter and has always been EVERYWHERE all thru his career from the time he was 5yo up till the day of his call up earlier this season.

He has clearly put that ridiculous 0'fer 40 something at bats behind him and is making regular contact in his at bats. I am guessing he has hit around a .220ish clip these past few weeks or his avg would not have climbed from .097 to the .150ish it is now. All he has to do the last month or so of this season is NOT hit another 0'fer slump of 15abs or more and he will be alright I think.

Think back to Dustin Ackley a few years ago. he was regarded as a can't miss MLB hitting prospect - was NOT his defense that made him a #2 pick ( #2 overall pick by the Ms ) He was called up midseason near the all star break and raked the ball for 80 games or so ( hit around .275ish - had around 18 HRs - so he clearly had some pop in his bat - as that would be 36HRs for a full season and opened my eyes to him being legit ) fantastic numbers for a rookie over an 80 game span. Well I am sure everyone's aware of his quick fall from that excellent early projection. He drove off a cliff and crashed and burned quick.

Ms have to get hot and get hot quick as they are chasing 2 teams that are a far better ball club than they are with alot of post season pedigree that the Ms clearly do not have. This weekends games are a must win both to sweep TOR and get some swagger and roll into the last 6 weeks of the regular season with a case of the red ass and win some ball games.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was thinking about bashing us for continuing to play Murphy and hiding Raleigh from facing lefties. I still would like to see Raleigh vs LHP more but Murphy obviously came up huge yesterday. The homer and most importantly the block of the plate in the 9th. Also a shout out to Ty France for a heads up play as I would never of guessed he’d look this solid defensively

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s been better the last couple of weeks. Maybe the numbers don’t reflect it yet but he’s seeing the ball better, taking more walks and spraying it to all fields. Encouraging

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Mariners sake, lets hope your premonition holds true.

The 4 pitches I saw him take were far far off the plate and nowhere near even remotely being a borderline strike. When the count got to 2-0 Kelenic's had a spot the size of a chocolate chip cookie he would swing at maybe on the 3rd pitch, ONLY if the next pitch was a fastball and hit that 'cookie spot, - Then the 3-0 pitch was a 100% take no matter what. Luckily for him the 1st pitch was clearly a ball that helped him relax some and focus on making a good swing at a good pitch in the strike zone.

He can finish this season batting his current .150ish and focus on 2022 busting out of camp with a clear head and let at bats come naturally to him. he is a pure hitter and has always been EVERYWHERE all thru his career from the time he was 5yo up till the day of his call up earlier this season.

He has clearly put that ridiculous 0'fer 40 something at bats behind him and is making regular contact in his at bats. I am guessing he has hit around a .220ish clip these past few weeks or his avg would not have climbed from .097 to the .150ish it is now. All he has to do the last month or so of this season is NOT hit another 0'fer slump of 15abs or more and he will be alright I think.

Think back to Dustin Ackley a few years ago. he was regarded as a can't miss MLB hitting prospect - was NOT his defense that made him a #2 pick ( #2 overall pick by the Ms ) He was called up midseason near the all star break and raked the ball for 80 games or so ( hit around .275ish - had around 18 HRs - so he clearly had some pop in his bat - as that would be 36HRs for a full season and opened my eyes to him being legit ) fantastic numbers for a rookie over an 80 game span. Well I am sure everyone's aware of his quick fall from that excellent early projection. He drove off a cliff and crashed and burned quick.

Ms have to get hot and get hot quick as they are chasing 2 teams that are a far better ball club than they are with alot of post season pedigree that the Ms clearly do not have. This weekends games are a must win both to sweep TOR and get some swagger and roll into the last 6 weeks of the regular season with a case of the red ass and win some ball games.
I get what you are saying and maybe Kelenic will bust but Dustin Ackley was an anomaly and can’t really be compared to him. Ackley had to have surgery in college which left him without a position. The Mariners got him and had him focus so much on becoming a good defensive player instead of making any adjustments offensively. I doubt he would’ve amounted to anything but the Mariners did him dirty, at least with Chris Taylor they got rid of him before he had zero confidence left.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He’s been better the last couple of weeks. Maybe the numbers don’t reflect it yet but he’s seeing the ball better, taking more walks and spraying it to all fields. Encouraging
But the biggest take away thus far is his new approach has cut down massively on his swing and misses on off speed away pitches. His defense was fine, he did get unlucky on some balls he hit in play but it was his inability to recognize balls that were out of the zone really was the issue. I love his approach and love the confidence and intensity but man he needs to learn to quit barking at the umps.

Kernz

Sativa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with the above comments.

This was one of the more enjoyable games to watch.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the fact that the M's are showing ANY potential or possibilities for a WC spot is flat out amazing. It's been years since we've been able to MAYBE see light at the end of the tunnel. It's hard not to get excited, but I'm tempering my excitement a bit because I just don't want to get burned again with a major disappointment. Been there, done that, and it does not feel good. Being caustiously optimistic is where I am at this point in the season but letting myself get a little stoked at the possibilities.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was cool.

Every time I talk shit about Torrens he dies something cool.

Kelenic with the oppo taco