• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top Free Agents

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN posted their top 25 for this year's class and I thought us losers whose teams are trash and couldn't keep up with the Carolinas of the world could entertain ourselves by guessing where the top ten land. Don't need to put cap hits or anything (although feel free to do so).

Artemi Panarin - Florida
Erik Karlsson - SJ
Sergei Bobrovski - Arizona
Matt Duchene - Nashville
Jeff Skinner - Buffalo
Anders Lee - NYI
Joe Pavelski - SJ
Brock Nelson - Montreal
Tyler Myers - Vancouver
Mats Zuccarello - Dallas

Gonna put these two as well because I think they're both better than a couple of names in that top ten:

Jordan Eberle - Colorado
Jake Gardiner - Vegas

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSN posted their top 25 for this year's class and I thought us losers whose teams are trash and couldn't keep up with the Carolinas of the world could entertain ourselves by guessing where the top ten land. Don't need to put cap hits or anything (although feel free to do so).

Artemi Panarin - Florida
Erik Karlsson - SJ
Sergei Bobrovski - Arizona
Matt Duchene - Nashville
Jeff Skinner - Buffalo
Anders Lee - NYI
Joe Pavelski - SJ
Brock Nelson - Montreal
Tyler Myers - Vancouver
Mats Zuccarello - Dallas

Gonna put these two as well because I think they're both better than a couple of names in that top ten:

Jordan Eberle - Colorado
Jake Gardiner - Vegas

So they think that the Jackets will not keep Bob, Panarin or Duchene AND miss out on everyone else?

lol

I see the Jackets keeping Duchene, and possibly going after Skinner too. Kind of a long shot, but they did apparently show interest in Skinner already.

If they don't keep Duchene they will be all over Lee and Eberle.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see, the last few years the Flames have gone after Troy Brouwer and James Neal. I think we need new top men to look at free agency.

giphy.gif

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Eberle to the Devils makes a lot of sense. They need a top 6 winger and it probably helps in the "re-sign Taylor Hall" effort.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So they think that the Jackets will not keep Bob, Panarin or Duchene AND miss out on everyone else?

lol

I see the Jackets keeping Duchene, and possibly going after Skinner too. Kind of a long shot, but they did apparently show interest in Skinner already.

If they don't keep Duchene they will be all over Lee and Eberle.
LMAO those were my picks not TSN's. I wanted people to do their own list but re-reading can see why people may think otherwise.

I think they could keep Duchene but it's a long shot for me. I just can't see him sticking with a team where so much turnaround is probably about to happen when he just spent years trying to get out of non-playoff situations. For the rest they've just historically not been a UFA destination but I suppose with their cap space they could blow a guy or two out of the water with their offers.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO those were my picks not TSN's. I wanted people to do their own list but re-reading can see why people may think otherwise.

I think they could keep Duchene but it's a long shot for me. I just can't see him sticking with a team where so much turnaround is probably about to happen when he just spent years trying to get out of non-playoff situations. For the rest they've just historically not been a UFA destination but I suppose with their cap space they could blow a guy or two out of the water with their offers.

Atkinson, Foligno, Nash, Bjorkstrand, Wennberg, Jenner, Jones, Savard, Nutivaara all signed for at least the next 2.

Werenski, Dubois, Murray and Anderson all about to get deals in the next year. Shortest of those will be Murray prob a 3 year "please stay healthy" deal.

Some very strong prospects on the way and around 32 mil in cap space once Bob and Bread walk.

The only turn around this team is facing is the turnaround from being an also ran to a contender. 5 years from now when the young guns come looking for deals (and Jones expires) we could be in some pain. But this is about as stable an environment as he could hope for.

Reactions: gob

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sharks don't win it all this season, I'm not sure I want the Joe's or EK back

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sharks don't win it all this season, I'm not sure I want the Joe's or EK back

Thornton might be done either way. I disagree on Pavelski. Lose him and this is a much thinner team up front.

EK really depends on cost and opportunity cost.

Lose all three and we will not be a good team next year. Unless we can replace them via trade or free agency.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton might be done either way. I disagree on Pavelski. Lose him and this is a much thinner team up front.

EK really depends on cost and opportunity cost.

Lose all three and we will not be a good team next year. Unless we can replace them via trade or free agency.
If they win it all, then my dislike of how they play will be just one of style.
If not, I see a culture of soft and passive play that needs to be douched. I'm much more into body on body hockey

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jumbo is as good as gone no matter what. I don't see any reason for him to return.

EK is 50/50. Guy can cash in anywhere he wants to go.

Is Pavelski really "soft" though?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atkinson, Foligno, Nash, Bjorkstrand, Wennberg, Jenner, Jones, Savard, Nutivaara all signed for at least the next 2.

Werenski, Dubois, Murray and Anderson all about to get deals in the next year. Shortest of those will be Murray prob a 3 year "please stay healthy" deal.

Some very strong prospects on the way and around 32 mil in cap space once Bob and Bread walk.

The only turn around this team is facing is the turnaround from being an also ran to a contender. 5 years from now when the young guns come looking for deals (and Jones expires) we could be in some pain. But this is about as stable an environment as he could hope for.
A team that's losing its Vezina-calibre goalie and its leading scorer after barely scraping into the playoffs isn't going to be looked at as stable.

I guess he could just want the most money and the Jackets can offer him the 8th year. Entirely plausible.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't really see what else they can do. They've used most of their draft/prospect assets, their roster gets really thin without those guys, they've signed all the other older players long-term so it's not like they can strip down and rebuild. And Jones is there until 2037.

So might as well keep the band together and keep going for it.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jumbo is as good as gone no matter what. I don't see any reason for him to return.

EK is 50/50. Guy can cash in anywhere he wants to go.

Is Pavelski really "soft" though?
I think it starts with Wilson.
This culture of which I speak pre-dates out current coaching staff.
The two constants has been the GM who puts the team toghther and the veteran leadership.
I think the toughest guy on the team is Justin Braun. Nobody takes as many hits to make the play.
On the other hand, I think he'd struggle to open a jar.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't really see what else they can do. They've used most of their draft/prospect assets, their roster gets really thin without those guys, they've signed all the other older players long-term so it's not like they can strip down and rebuild. And Jones is there until 2037.

So might as well keep the band together and keep going for it.
Yeah , I know. Rinse and repeat and just hope the hockey gods are all in. What more( the hockey gods) can they do?
The Sharks offer up too much of an easy chair atmosphere. If they bring back the cup, then sure bringback the Joe's pull out the cushioned bench and let them playout thier days as basking sharks

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A team that's losing its Vezina-calibre goalie and its leading scorer after barely scraping into the playoffs isn't going to be looked at as stable.

I guess he could just want the most money and the Jackets can offer him the 8th year. Entirely plausible.
Yeah, they scraped by to get in, but they were also 3 wins from winning the division.

And that was with Bob finishing outside the top 20 in GAA and SV%.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, they squeaked in, but were six points from winning the division. And there is some truth to the fact that Bob's mental vacation in January/February was a key factor in why they were in a position to squeak in. Obviously not all on Bob. Murray's injury and Foligno's struggles off ice hurt more than Bob's issues and the Panarin distraction.

They have a steady defense and stand to get better there. Plus there are some strong goalies available on the UFA market. Yeah, they won't be replacing a Vezina caliber guy like for like, but they don't need Vezina caliber goaltending to succeed. Where are the three Vezina candidates at right now?

Duchene has already said that the offer the Sens made was "fair", and that was rumored to be 8x8. Jackets can easily meet or sweeten that a bit.

The teams I legit worry about losing him to are Montreal (not in better position than Columbus, ATM), Nashville (13m space this year and Josi to sign next year) and Colorado (Tons of space, but have to sign pretty much half a team).

Reactions: gob

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even thinking of cap space and assuming teams will somehow magically make room.

Panarin - Florida
Karlsson - Sharks
Bobrovski - Florida
Duchesne - Yotes
Skinner - Yotes - and will finally make the playoffs
Lee - Isles
Pavelski - Vegas
Nelson - Bolts
Myers - Jets
Zuccarello - Rags
Eberle - Devils
Gardiner - Leafs

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even thinking of cap space and assuming teams will somehow magically make room.

Panarin - Florida
Karlsson - Sharks
Bobrovski - Florida
Duchesne - Yotes
Skinner - Yotes - and will finally make the playoffs
Lee - Isles
Pavelski - Vegas
Nelson - Bolts
Myers - Jets
Zuccarello - Rags
Eberle - Devils
Gardiner - Leafs