• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 Bednarik Trophy Candidates for 2014

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't this get as much hype as the Heisman? It's basically the same thing, except it's defense.... lets face it, they will never again give a Heisman to a defensive player. That being said, here's my candidates for the Bednarik Trophy:

1. Vic Beasely-DE-Clemson
2. Vernon Hargraeves III-CB-Florida
3. Myles Jack-LB-UCLA
4. Randy Gregory-DE-Nebraska
5. Eric Striker-LB-Oklahoma

Some names to watch for:

Landon Collins-SS-Alabama
Kendall Fuller-CB-Virginia Tech
Eddie Goldman-DT-Florida State
Jake Ryan-LB-Michigan
Anthony Harris-SS-Virginia

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit. The Heisman should be changed to two criteria

1. You're a quarterback
or
2. You're a running back who plays for an undefeated team.

You have to go back to 1999 Ron Dayne to find someone who didn't meet either of those two criteria.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
got a quick link to the list candidates this year?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought, without really looking around at players around the country that I've not watched in detail, i.e. more than just group of plays, or one game, etc., would be the guys I have watched closely in multiple games.

First up would be,

Malcom Brown, DT Texas very good at TFL for a DT. Played well last year, some games the best defensive player on the field for us.

Cedric Reed, DT Texas also a nice year last year, believe he had 10 sacks, number of TFL

Eric Striker, LB Oklahoma great nose for the ball, knack for pass rushing

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why doesn't this get as much hype as the Heisman? It's basically the same thing, except it's defense.... lets face it, they will never again give a Heisman to a defensive player. That being said, here's my candidates for the Bednarik Trophy:

1. Vic Beasely-DE-Clemson
2. Vernon Hargraeves III-CB-Florida
3. Myles Jack-LB-UCLA
4. Randy Gregory-DE-Nebraska
5. Eric Striker-LB-Oklahoma

Some names to watch for:

Landon Collins-SS-Alabama
Kendall Fuller-CB-Virginia Tech
Eddie Goldman-DT-Florida State
Jake Ryan-LB-Michigan
Anthony Harris-SS-Virginia

I don't see it.. Jack did more damage at RB last year. Great athlete, but way too early. Williams is probably the best in the PAC, maybe the #1 pick. Oregon CB is probably next, I am not even going to attempt it.
Shaq Calhoun needs to be on here. Pick a CB on FSU. I got Mario Edwards as the pick from the FSU Dline. Striker is moving to nickel back, so I am not sure how that plays out. I expect OU to be better vs the run this year, Striker moving is one of the reasons

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myles Jack is a novelty, not an amazing player. Good, yes. He was probably the 4th best linebacker at UCLA last year though.

He would not make my top 5 in the Pac 12. I'm not sure if he'd be Top 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following are in my opinion better defensive football players in the Pac 12 than Myles Jack:

Leonard Williams, DE, USC
Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
Hau'oli Kikaha, DE/OLB, Washington
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
A.J. Tarpley, LB, Stanford
Jordan Richards, S, Stanford
UCLA, LB, Eric Kendricks
Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford

And then you only start to consider Jack. I'm still not sure I like him more than:

David Parry, DT, Stanford
James Vaughters, LB, Stanford
Addison Gillam, LB, Colorado
Su'a Cravens, S, USC
Tra'Mayne Bondurant, S, Arizona
Damarious Randall, S, ASU
Jacoby Hale, DE, Utah
Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington
Derrick Malone, LB, Oregon

Last edited by a moderator:

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not ready to put Jack as one of the 5 best defensive players in the country this year. Definitely behind Williams and Oregon corner (can't spell his name) in the Pac. That being said Jack was the best player on UCLA's defense last year, including Anthony Barr. He is also a much better linebacker than a RB. He is a novelty at RB but at LB he is a star.

If you need proof of this watch UCLA's loss to ASU. First half he is at RB and UCLA can't stop ASU. 2nd half he is at LB and ASU's offense is largely contained. It cost UCLA the game IMO. Jim Mora says it's the one decision he would change at UCLA.

Jack is liking even better this fall practice so hopefully he'll have an even better year. But right now he needs to work on his pas rushing technique to really win any type of award. He doesn't have the size of a typical 3-4 OLB so his technique needs to be perfect. However, he is one of the best LBs in coverage I've seen and has great lateral quickness. He covers like a CB and with the way offenses are using TEs now he couldn't be more valuable. Oh and when he hits he brings the wood.