• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 remaining free agents

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As ranked by USA Today Sports:

MLB free agents remaining: Top 10 players still available

First off, I'm really perplexed as to why Nick Castellanos remains on the board. I woulda thunk he'd have been one the first four or five FAs to be signed. Makes me wonder now if he'll do what's becoming more popular amongst the players, and that is take a one year deal with a team, then come back next year looking for a long term deal - the ol' betting on yourself approach.

But the main reason I posted this article is because it has been reported here and there that the Sox might still be seeking a R/H OF to platoon with Mazara in RF. Would Cameron Maybin fit this bill?

8. OF Cameron Maybin: Still a power-speed threat who produced an .858 OPS with the Yankees and a solid defensive outfielder, though he turns 33 in April. Can certainly do worse if you’re seeking a right-handed outfielder for a timeshare.

Maybin is primarily a CF, but he has the arm to handle RF as well. Unless he's insisting on signing with a team who will give him a clear shot as a full time starter, I'm wondering if he would otherwise be an adequate fill for the Good Guys.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same reason Kuechel remained last year until summer. Same reason why JD Martinez remained until spring training two years ago.

Every year there's a big name or two who doesn't settle until spring training. Castellanos looks like that guy. He hasn't gotten the offer he likes and he thinks it is still out there.

Anyway, we HAVE been linked to Maybin according to a rumor outlet or two. I'm not crazy about him but he's a better 4th OF'er than Engel and can play all three positions. Can actually hit a bit unlike Engel.

He's not a guy you necessarily want platooning with Mazara and I don't think that would be the idea. I'm starting to realize that we want Mazara to be our everyday guy in right. Which is scary... but that's a whole other topic. The point is... it looks like that is happening.

Maybin and Leury in the corners for the 9th with a lead in place of Eloy/Mazara is a solid defensive way to go.

I think outside of a signing like Maybin or another cheaper bullpen arm that we're about done spending. Maybe more action around the trade deadline.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Maybin is a poor platoon option with Mazara since he's a reverse splits guy and hits RHP better.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always good to throw out as many possibilities as we can, Mingo. One part of the article that has me a bit perplexed tho is the suggestion of possibly going after Jason Kipnis. Not that he's bad by any stretch - a veteran 2b, a two time AS with postseason experience. That's a pretty good resume, but it's also obvious his best days are behind him. The perplexing part is the writer says until Madrigal shows up, we have a void at 2b. I highly disagree. Mendick and Garcia can easily fill the void until Nick arrives and settles in. I also wonder if Kipnis would want to sign with a team knowing he's going to ride pine for the majority of the year. My guess is he wouldn't. Same with Scooter Gennett. Man, it's amazing how he went from one of the hottest hitting infielders in the game to a roster drop, primarily resulting from the effects of a savage groin injury.

I'm much more on board with signing Strop for the pen. His numbers took a big drop last year. Guess that's the result from pitching 500 innings in relief over his career. But prior to '19, he was one of the steadier, more reliable RPs in the game, especially during his years with the Cubs.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EDIT: Forgot to add that Maybin is a poor platoon option with Mazara since he's a reverse splits guy and hits RHP better.

Didn't know that. So no doubt, it could be a big reason why there has been no serious Maybin talk leaking out of the front office. BTW, when I said I wasn't for us signing Puig, I didn't know at the time he also has that same issue - his career numbers against righties are much better than against lefties. So maybe that's why neither OF appears to be in our plans.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always good to throw out as many possibilities as we can, Mingo. One part of the article that has me a bit perplexed tho is the suggestion of possibly going after Jason Kipnis. Not that he's bad by any stretch - a veteran 2b, a two time AS with postseason experience. That's a pretty good resume, but it's also obvious his best days are behind him. The perplexing part is the writer says until Madrigal shows up, we have a void at 2b. I highly disagree. Mendick and Garcia can easily fill the void until Nick arrives and settles in. I also wonder if Kipnis would want to sign with a team knowing he's going to ride pine for the majority of the year. My guess is he wouldn't. Same with Scooter Gennett. Man, it's amazing how he went from one of the hottest hitting infielders in the game to a roster drop, primarily resulting from the effects of a savage groin injury.

I'm much more on board with signing Strop for the pen. His numbers took a big drop last year. Guess that's the result from pitching 500 innings in relief over his career. But prior to '19, he was one of the steadier, more reliable RPs in the game, especially during his years with the Cubs.

:agree: - I agree 100%. STrop is the only other guy who caught my eye.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know that. So no doubt, it could be a big reason why there has been no serious Maybin talk leaking out of the front office. BTW, when I said I wasn't for us signing Puig, I didn't know at the time he also has that same issue - his career numbers against righties are much better than against lefties. So maybe that's why neither OF appears to be in our plans.

It is L. Garcia who has the good splits for rotating with Mazara. He is also probably a better lead off hitter than Anderson would be. I don't know if the Sox will go that way.

I suspect the Sox hope EE can rub off on Mazara since EE's career didn't take off until he was 29. Also, of course, new hitting instructor may have had input of the Mazara acquisition.