• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Prospects

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over at the dumdum, but I thought you guys would enjoy as well...

This is my top-10 list as of now. I put it together relatively quickly, so I am sure there are points of argument to be had, so blast away :)

1) Brandon Belt
2) Zach Wheeler
3) Thomas Neal
4) Brandon Crawford
5) Steve Edlefson
6) Charlie Culberson
7) Gary Brown
8) Francisco Peguero
9) Thomas Joseph
10) Chris Dominguez

I used a mix of MLB-ready and potential. This is not consistent (I included Wheeler, but left RafRod off, for example), but I worked off of gut as well. I probably have Edlefson rated too high, to be honest, but he will likely be graduating this year, so that carried a lot of weight.

Others could make a move: Jones, Perez, Surkamp, Verdugo, Kickham, Gillaspie, Noonan, Rodriguez, Windster, Willoughby, Villalona(!!)

Our top 2 prospects are legit top 2 prospect. Any team in the MLB would be happy to have them as their top 2 prospects, especially given that we just graduated 2 A+ blue-chippers and a solid B prospect from the system this year.

After that, however, there is a pretty steep downgrade at the top. The system is deep, but not top-heavy. Let's hope we have a guy or two step up to be a legit B+ or better prospect this year. Early faves would be Neal, Culberson, Gillaspie, and Jones.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you copy and pasted, I'll copy and paste my comment ;)

I agree with this for the most part, but Chris Dominguez shouldn't be in the top 10 IMO. He has plus power for sure, but the rest of his game is suspect. He doesn't hit for a high average (.272), he strikes out a ton (133) and doesn't walk enough (35). He is also expected to be moved off of 3rd, but he has improved his D over there. Another concern is that he is old for his league.

Now, if he can make the move up to AA and cut down his K's a bit, then I would re-consider him for next year. But he definatly has power going for him. He could possibly turn into a RH Russel Branyan, which wouldn't be that bad at all, he could also turn into Pedro Feliz, though worse with the glove.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have actually heard good thing about his glove (not Feliz good, but better than average). I can see him as a Dunn, Uggla, Deer, Kingman type of hitter at his top side, a Joey Meyer at the lower side. I do not see him as a star, but I think he will deliver a decent career.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have actually heard good thing about his glove (not Feliz good, but better than average). I can see him as a Dunn, Uggla, Deer, Kingman type of hitter at his top side, a Joey Meyer at the lower side. I do not see him as a star, but I think he will deliver a decent career.

I can buy that. How do you think he'll progress through the minors? Do you think he will start in high A ball and move to AA when the weather is warmer or do you think they will take it slow? He is already 24 years old.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that if he starts in SJ, than he HAS to be promoted in the first wave of promotions or it is over for him (as a serious prospect). If he goes to Richmond, then he will have a bit more of an easy road of it. I will be OK if he starts next year in either Richmond OR Fresno, but he needs to be pushing for a mid-season call-up in '12.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess that if he starts in SJ, than he HAS to be promoted in the first wave of promotions or it is over for him (as a serious prospect). If he goes to Richmond, then he will have a bit more of an easy road of it. I will be OK if he starts next year in either Richmond OR Fresno, but he needs to be pushing for a mid-season call-up in '12.

That was just my concern. He is already 24 (maybe 23 when the season started) and the Giants had him in low A ball, so I was worried that there was something that we don't know about.

My guess is that he starts in AA, makes a Sept. callup, if not sooner this season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His problem is that he swings through everything.

But when he connects, it goes a mile. He is soooo close, that if he can just reel in his swing just a bit, he is there. That is something you can work on in AAA or in little league. Once it clicks, it clicks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's mine:

1) Belt- 2nd best 1st base prospect in the minors
2)Wheeler-projected #2-3 starter with possibly more upside
3)Neal- Tremendous raw power, still needs work on pitch selection
4) Culbie-Great offense from 2B, needs to work on glove work
5) Joe Paterson-Sidearmer lefty who could be another Javier Lopez
6) Gillaspie- Former 1st round sup. pick, looks like he could take a big step next yr
7) Brown-1st round pick who has tremendous speed and a plus defender
8) Surkamp-Soft tossing Lefty with an insane curveball. Great K rates in san jose, we'll see how AA treats him.
9) Edlefson-Good AAA numbers, possibly a decent Pen' arm.
10) Peguero- Tremendous tools. Power, speed, range. Needs to work on baseball instincts, such asplate discpline, base running. Similar to Geno Velez at this point. We'll see how Richmond treats him.

Honorable mentions:

Rafael Rodriguez-disappointing so far, but all scouts still LOVE his projectability.
J
oseph-Great raw power, however had a bad 1st year. Still young, and still hope.

TKellion

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1) Brandon Belt-Yup yup
2) Zach Wheeler-Uh huh ok
3) Thomas Neal-needs to improve his avg
4) Brandon Crawford-needs to hit period lol
5) Steve Edlefson-:confused:
6) Charlie Culberson-3 errors in AFL champ games says he needs to work on glove alot :L
7) Gary Brown-Jarrett Parker ,Charles Jones,Chris Lofton who starts where this year and who will excel :cool:
8) Francisco Peguero-same as #7
9) Thomas Joseph-A man with no position is most likely trade bait:eek:
10) Chris Dominguez-Can he make more contact

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Brandon Belt-Yup yup
6) Charlie Culberson-3 errors in AFL champ games says he needs to work on glove alot :L
7) Gary Brown-Jarrett Parker ,Charles Jones,Chris Lofton who starts where this year and who will excel :cool:

I would guess the top tier is Brown, Parker and Peguero, with Jones either going to extended ST or MAYBE Augusta. Lofton will be either Augusta or SJ.

Peguero will likely be the first to reach the majors, probably getting his cup o' joe this season. Brown will probably be a Sept call-up in '12.

There is still a TON to be learned about Brown, Parker, Lofton and Jones, though. They are all brand new to the org.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Brandon Belt-Yup yup

Like I said, probably have him rated too high. But I expect him to graduate this season, so due to his MLB-ready status, I rated him there. In reality, he will just be a bull-pen arm / trade bait.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked about Fairley in another thread, but whatever happened to Roger Kieschnik (sp)?

EDIT: Yosh, by the way, the ESPN Sharks board is now here too.

Last edited by a moderator:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I asked about Fairley in another thread, but whatever happened to Roger Kieschnik (sp)?

EDIT: Yosh, by the way, the ESPN Sharks board is now here too.

Kieschnick is still around, but he played hurt for much of '10, so it is hard to extrapolate him.