• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 Favorite Horror/Thriller Movies

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same as the others. These are not necessarily the movies I think are the best, but ones that I enjoy quite a bit for one reason or another. Probably catch a lot of flack for having some of these on here and not others, but oh well. I just really enjoy watching these.

10. Hereditary

9. Halloween 2018

8. Frailty

7. 1408

6. Alien

5. Halloween 1978

4. The Conjuring 2

3. Se7en

2. The Conjuring

1. The Thing

Difficult narrowing it down, I thought about Silence of the Lambs, Bone Tomahawk, The Descent, The Shining, Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, The Fly, Get Out, Nightmare on Elm Street, A Quiet Place, and many more, but for one reason or another, I just enjoy watching these more whenever they are on... or after a while, I find myself turning to these to rewatch more often.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge fan of the genre, but a few stuck with me (in no particular order)...

Poltergeist - After watching this one as a kid, I had a fear of closets, clowns and trees for who knows how long.

Event Horizon - The concept still freaks me out to this day.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a huge fan of the genre, but a few stuck with me (in no particular order)...

Poltergeist - After watching this one as a kid, I had a fear of closets, clowns and trees for who knows how long.

Event Horizon - The concept still freaks me out to this day.
I forgot about Event Horizon. Good one. Average movie, but great for that twisted/gore factor.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about Event Horizon. Good one. Average movie, but great for that twisted/gore factor.
The story behind it makes it even more intriguing. If any movie needed a director's cut it is Event Horizon. Too bad all of the original footage got severely damaged during storage in a salt mine in Transylvania!

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Jaws count?

Jaws
Alien
Aliens
The Fly
The Shining
Get Out
Silence of The Lambs
Se7en
Psycho
Re-Animator

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Jaws count?

Jaws
Alien
Aliens
The Fly
The Shining
Get Out
Silence of The Lambs
Se7en
Psycho
Re-Animator
That was tough. I thought about having Jaws on my list as well and I understand why you and others would, but the more I thought about it, the more it didn't really feel like a horror.

However, it's a personal choice. To each their own. No judgement lol.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. A Quiet Place
9. Drag Me to Hell
8. Us
7. Rosemary's Baby
6. Halloween
5. Pet Semetary
4. Frailty
3. Seven
2. The VVitch
1. A Nightmare on Elm Street

My number 1 is the scariest concept of a horror movie ever imo. Simple yet horrifying. An indestructible killer who brutally murders you when you fall asleep.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10. A Quiet Place
9. Drag Me to Hell
8. Us
7. Rosemary's Baby
6. Halloween
5. Pet Semetary
4. Frailty
3. Seven
2. The VVitch
1. A Nightmare on Elm Street

My number 1 is the scariest concept of a horror movie ever imo. Simple yet horrifying. An indestructible killer who brutally murders you when you fall asleep.
Interesting that you have Us on there, but no Get Out. Personally, I thought Get Out was better, but there were things I liked about Us as well. Lupita Nyong'o was fantastic and I also find her very attractive lol. Another interesting one is having Drag Me To Hell over Evil Dead, I get it, yet still seems strange probably just due to the new camera work that Raimi introduced in Evil Dead lol. I flirted with A Nightmare on Elm Street. It is definitely an iconic one from my childhood and one that I would appreciate a good reboot of (I liked Jackie Earle Haleys version too, but the rest sucked lol).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that you have Us on there, but no Get Out. Personally, I thought Get Out was better, but there were things I liked about Us as well. Lupita Nyong'o was fantastic and I also find her very attractive lol. Another interesting one is having Drag Me To Hell over Evil Dead, I get it, yet still seems strange probably just due to the new camera work that Raimi introduced in Evil Dead lol. I flirted with A Nightmare on Elm Street. It is definitely an iconic one from my childhood and one that I would appreciate a good reboot of (I liked Jackie Earle Haleys version too, but the rest sucked lol).
I hated Get Out actually. I thought it was cheesy. I preferred Ready or Not in that " your new loves family is going to kill you " ilk

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Jaws count?

Jaws
Alien
Aliens
The Fly
The Shining
Get Out
Silence of The Lambs
Se7en
Psycho
Re-Animator
It is the king of horror, imo.

That movie had a cultural impact like no other. Legitimately made people stop going to the ocean.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jaws
2. The Exorcist
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Aliens
5. Psycho
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Halloween
8. The Shining
9. Alien
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers

HM: Poultergeist, It, The Thing, Night of the Living Dead, Nosferatu

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated Get Out actually. I thought it was cheesy. I preferred Ready or Not in that " your new loves family is going to kill you " ilk
I thought Ready or Not was a fun horror style, but I did not like the ending at all.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Jaws
2. The Exorcist
3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
4. Aliens
5. Psycho
6. Rosemary's Baby
7. Halloween
8. The Shining
9. Alien
10. Invasion of the Body Snatchers

HM: Poultergeist, It, The Thing, Night of the Living Dead, Nosferatu
That definitely looks like a true list of all time greats. My list is more of just simply ones I really enjoy watching. I also thought about having Aliens on my list as it is definitely fantastic and a lot better than other movies I mentioned on my list. Only thing was that it felt more like an action than a horror/thriller to me.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(I liked Jackie Earle Haleys version too, but the rest sucked lol).
Clarification: I liked Jackie Earle Haley's take on Freddy, but the movie sucked lol. Didn't want it to read like I liked that movie.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious of @FaCe-LeE-uS and @returnofjakedog list, as I believe you two are some of the more prominent horror aficionados on here and give some possible recommendations as well.
Lol! I was trying to avoid it because it is the kind of question that will send me into hours of research and internal debate probably ending with a list of 60+ movies divided into different subgenres.

.....but since I've been tagged, I'll check it out and get back to ya.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, my list is entirely based off what I remember the most about certain movies.

Trilogy of Terror - that little doll haunts me to this day
Poltergeist - Clowns. 'nuff said
The Thing - just pulsates with dread; and quality spfx for that time (Rob Bottin)
Re-Animator - probably hasn't aged well, but for its time, was very memorable for a particular 'heady' scene
Evil Dead - the original two were great; the reboot wasn't too bad, either
The Hidden - might be more sci-fi, but the whole alien takes over a body thing is done pretty well here
Dawn of the Dead (remake) - I thought Snyder did a really good job with this