• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year crop of QBs was one of the worse for a decade, this years crop is much much better.Heck 3 will be top 10 maybe top 5.
They all have significant flaws, 2 of the top 4 are huge risks.
Richardson is a 3rd round prospect that may go round one. Thats scary

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ll see, combine always changes things…

It does but it rarely sends top of the draft QB prospects further down the draft.

The only guy I recall anyone suggesting MIGHT get taken fairly high was Malik Willis and even he wasn't ever considered a top 5 guy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They all have significant flaws, 2 of the top 4 are huge risks.
Richardson is a 3rd round prospect that may go round one. Thats scary

The only one on paper that doesn't have massive alarm bells going off is Stroud. And even has some pretty big concerns given the talent he always had around him and his general play.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta had 550 yards of offense.
The Bucs, once of the worst rushing teams in football, had 161 yards rushing
The Raiders had TWO AND EIGHTY yards rushing.
The Panthers had 223 yards rushing

Thats right and those were still winnable games thats why I brought them up. It was a offense gaff that caused them to lose. duh, how is this so confusing to you guys? These were games they had a chance to win if the QB was a little more disciplined and Cerebral. Pete had these guys in position to win these games.

Like I have stated for the past 2 years Geno is good enough to win with, he has the arm talent and has ALWAYS had the arm talent. He doesn't have the rest though. I said last year when Wilson went down. I can easily see Geno go 2-2 or 3-2 in the games Wilson will miss. Then Wilson came back sooner than expected. Thats who Geno is. Always had the Arm talent but also turns the ball over in big moments. We saw it in 2021 in a couple loses and saw it in 2022 also.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats right and those were still winnable games thats why I brought them up. It was a offense gaff that caused them to lose. duh, how is this so confusing to you guys? These were games they had a chance to win if the QB was a little more disciplined and Cerebral. Pete had these guys in position to win these games.

It's not confusing to me in the least. Yes. If we had a QB that didn't make mistakes we would win more games. Unfortunately EVERY QB makes mistakes.

Like I have stated for the past 2 years Geno is good enough to win with, he has the arm talent and has ALWAYS had the arm talent. He doesn't have the rest though. I said last year when Wilson went down. I can easily see Geno go 2-2 or 3-2 in the games Wilson will miss. Then Wilson came back sooner than expected. Thats who Geno is. Always had the Arm talent but also turns the ball over in big moments. We saw it in 2021 in a couple loses and saw it in 2022 also.

I don't know why you think that people are really disagreeing with you here. I think just about EVERYONE has said something similar to this in varying degrees. Geno is a front running QB. Keep hum on schedule and he can do well. Force him to succeed in high pressure situations and he will make mistakes.

It's not about saying that Geno is the answer to all of our problem. It's about the available options. Our basic options are the following..

1. Resign Geno. Draft to rebuild the defense. Take a day 2 or 3 QB and see if he can develop.
2. Not resign Geno. Draft a QB with our top 5 pick. Sign a rent-a-QB with the expectations that the drafted QB will take the reins at some point in the season.
3. Not resign Geno. Find some other QB that approximates what Geno can do but a drastically lower price tag.
4. Not resign Geno. Go after Derek Carr or one of the more marquee names out there.

If there is some other option that I'm not considering I would love to hear what it is. But if we accept that those are the 4 basic options available to us, then I'm just not sure how can reasonably say that bringing Geno back is a bad idea, provided that he can be signed on a cap friendly deal. Meaning if they can bring him in on a cap hit of 15 million or so this year then that is pretty clearly the best option that enables us to truly rebuild the defense.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually expect to see all 3 to be gone top 10 and maybe even top 5. Based on nothing but past experience with drafts, I actually think that Levis will wind up being the 1st QB drafted and maybe the No. 1 pick.
Very well could work that way. Most teams earning top 10 picks tend to have a problem at the QB position. The idea of Chicago trading down seems to be becoming more popular, and that would definitely support a scenario where 3 QBs could go in the top handful of picks. And I would be just fine if they went top 4!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very well could work that way. Most teams earning top 10 picks tend to have a problem at the QB position. The idea of Chicago trading down seems to be becoming more popular, and that would definitely support a scenario where 3 QBs could go in the top handful of picks. And I would be just fine if they went top 4!

Chicago has a lot of holes to fill. If they could trade down and get a future 1st and change that could be pretty beneficial. They would need to decide if that would be better than drafting Carter/Anderson.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago has a lot of holes to fill. If they could trade down and get a future 1st and change that could be pretty beneficial. They would need to decide if that would be better than drafting Carter/Anderson.

Yeah, and the first pick has so much value in a trade. Though it's only happened once since 2010 - Tennesse got 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds from the Rams.

I looked back to see if historically it was benefiticial to trade out of the #1, and it appears that whether it's traded or not - as long as you aren't Cleveland you generally have a winning record within a year or 2 and a playoff appearance within three years.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and the first pick has so much value in a trade. Though it's only happened once since 2010 - Tennesse got 2 firsts, 2 seconds and 2 thirds from the Rams.

I looked back to see if historically it was benefiticial to trade out of the #1, and it appears that whether it's traded or not - as long as you aren't Cleveland you generally have a winning record within a year or 2 and a playoff appearance within three years.

If the Bears can get 2 1st, 2 2nds and 2 rds they almost have to do it unless it is a huge drop from No. 1

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it plays out like this... Please let QB's be drafted in the top 4 along with the OLB from Alabama... :D

From a pure ability perspective, Carter has generational ability. Doesn't mean he will be that good. But he could be.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a pure ability perspective, Carter has generational ability. Doesn't mean he will be that good. But he could be.

Imagine though, having a Tez on our DLine. Not say Carter is on that level but man. Someone like Tez would transform our defense, Weakest spot i think is Dline and Linebackers on this team. The Backend played better than expected and with growth i think they continue to improve. Add in a healthy Front 7 and everything looks better.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen this on ESPN and thought it was worth a mention here:

• Jerrod Clark, a 6-3, 343-pound defensive tackle from Coastal Carolina, had his top performance of the week on Thursday. He's a massive two-gapping presence at his best when allowed to eat up blocks inside. His pass-rush moves are limited -- he has relied relied heavily on bull-rushing blockers -- but he still has been tough to handle. Clark likely is a two-down player at the next level, with teams that play a 3-4 scheme targeting him in the mid-to-late rounds. He will help a run defense early.

Anyone know anything about this kid?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

• Jerrod Clark, a 6-3, 343-pound defensive tackle from Coastal Carolina, had his top performance of the week on Thursday. He's a massive two-gapping presence at his best when allowed to eat up blocks inside. His pass-rush moves are limited -- he has relied relied heavily on bull-rushing blockers -- but he still has been tough to handle. Clark likely is a two-down player at the next level, with teams that play a 3-4 scheme targeting him in the mid-to-late rounds. He will help a run defense early.

Seems like Mone all over again. If Seattle is going to stick with this dumbass 3-4 or 2-4-5 system, we better address the NT, ILB, and DE position because Woods is basically done, Ford is probably going to walk... and at that point I might as well plug Jake or Anointed into the DL at the league minimum for a better chance.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Certainly has the size for a NT. Sounds like he's slated as a day 3 pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Certainly has the size for a NT. Sounds like he's slated as a day 3 pick.
If the Seahawks miss out on the top DTs this guy sounds like he could help with the run defense. I'd really like a true NT rather than a DT more suited to a 4-3 because they weigh 285. I don't know much about this player but will be watching to see who drafts him and in what round and how he does.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarrod Clark would be a fine 2 down NT in a 3-4 with the ability to increase his role to a 3 down NT as he matures. The only thing i know about this guy is the one thing we lacked on our line. He eats up blockers. They will need to double team him or he will have no issues pushing a center right into the QB's lap. If he is still on the board in the 3rd then i say go for it if there isn't any better DT talent available. He isn't a bad option. If he is still there in the 4th i would jump at the option to choose him but once again thats totally dependent on who is still available. Could be some studs still left on the board.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we turn to the draft for a QB instead of re-signing Geno or bringing in another FA, I am hoping for Max Duggan from TCU. Maybe he didn't have his best game vs Georgia, but the roster around him was woefully overmatched. He has the grit that PC likes, and I think he has a ceiling.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we turn to the draft for a QB instead of re-signing Geno or bringing in another FA, I am hoping for Max Duggan from TCU. Maybe he didn't have his best game vs Georgia, but the roster around him was woefully overmatched. He has the grit that PC likes, and I think he has a ceiling.

in the 3rd round I would 100% take him.