• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too early to talk about draft

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think houston takes bryce young, just seems like a houstony thing to do.

stroud doesnt have elite arm strength, but he has everything else according to the experts. having watched their last game against michigan though, I was not impressed. he did literally nothing in the second half and threw a terrible pick in desperation at the end.

levis has the arm strength and some are making comparisons to jared allen, ie raw but extremely talented. taking a guy like that top 3 is way too risky.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am being rigid about it but for reasons:
1) QB is the most crucial position
2) Looks like a good QB class
3) This could be the only chance to have a shot at the cream at QB in a draft. Seahawks won't have that again short of an utter collapse. Top 10 misses out on including the cream of QBs because QBs go so early.

This being said, Seahawks have not drafted a QB in the 1st under Pete ever. If Pete decides to wait until the 2nd first or wait until the 2nd round, so be it. I'll assume it's for good reasons. I haven't really studied the college QBs yet. In general though, if you need a QB and you have a top 5 pick in a good QB class you should take a shot IMO.

Now I understand that the QB could be a bust no matter which round you pick, but the odds of hitting are better if you take on early rather than taking one late.

True. I mean if Stroud was there at #2 snag him. I'm not huge on Young... I don't want another 5'11" QB and he's taken like 30+ sacks this year. Bleh. The rest of the projected QBs have dropped off quite a bit. Lot of folks initially thought 3-4 QBs would be taken in the top 10, but Levis hasn't had a great year (too many turnovers). But I think Levis draws comparisons to Allen and if that's the case then Schneider may very well want him (as he was trying to trade Wilson for Allen, at least reports say). I don't think Levis will last until the mid-late 1st, but I also think spending a #2 or #3 on Levis is way too high... if Will Anderson is there at #2/#3 and you want Levis 100%, finding a trade partner should be VERY easy and may net us another first in 2024.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it though? I don't think the pundits are in love with it right now as much as they were about a year ago. Houston is probably taking whatever QB is at the top of their board (most likely Stroud), and they are going to be picking ahead of us. When Stroud is gone, what QB do you think is worth our top pick?
I just took a look at some mocks and your right QBs are being touted much at all.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mock.png

At the moment Kiper has Young at pick 5......Small guy that could use better foot work.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 315315

At the moment Kiper has Young at pick 5......Small guy that could use better foot work.
Stroud is the only QB i'd consider with Denvers pick... Not a fan of Levis that high nor Young... Neither has really impressed me enough this year to take them at that pick... On the other hand, i'm gushing all over Jalen and Willy... Give me one of them with Denver's pick... I was jealous watching Max Crosby dominate us all day...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stroud is the only QB i'd consider with Denvers pick... Not a fan of Levis that high nor Young... Neither has really impressed me enough this year to take them at that pick... On the other hand, i'm gushing all over Jalen and Willy... Give me one of them with Denver's pick... I was jealous watching Max Crosby dominate us all day...
stroud doesnt have the strongest arm and his deep ball looks just ok.

levis is the guy they will probably target but taking him top 5 would be very risky

bo nix is another guy they might like, strong arm and good deep ball. plus he cant complain about wearing neon green

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stroud doesnt have the strongest arm and his deep ball looks just ok.

levis is the guy they will probably target but taking him top 5 would be very risky

bo nix is another guy they might like, strong arm and good deep ball. plus he cant complain about wearing neon green

100% agreed. Schneider liked Allen and Levis is the closest thing this draft (very similar playstyles). He needs to slide more often and stop throwing turnovers, but no question the talent is there. I also agree that top 5 is too soon, but I don't think he's going to be there past 15.... I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle trades down or if they can't find a partner (ALL depends on who is available with our 1st overall pick) I could see them just pull the trigger if that's who John is eyeing.

Now way too early to tell given the season isn't even over, no combine, no pro day, etc, and the fact Geno still hasn't completed a full season...

Dunno how Carter would fit into a 3-4 scheme (guess as a DE) but I think he'd be better in a 4-3/3 tech. I would be perfectly fine with Seattle going back to a 4-3.... I think Mafe projects better as a 4-3 OLB, Brooks was drafted for a 4-3 ILB, Nwosu whatevs, and Taylor seemed to be doing better things in a 4-3. Ford was also pretty serviceable in a 4-3 and hasn't seemed to adapt well. I get Harris is one of our better lineman, but Harris is getting older... that's on borrowed time.

If we could get Carter, and go back to a 4-3 and maybe find another EDGE rusher, I'd be perfectly happy. If we stay 3-4 I'd go Myles Murphy.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to watch these QBs more. I just watch Stroud vs Michigan and it was hard to judge much with all the passes behind the LOS or 5 or less, then I watched him vs Indiana and Buckeyes went downfield plenty ( weak opponent) and thought Stroud looked good. I'll have to see more games.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stole this from a different forum:

the last QBs taken in the top 5 of the draft:

2013- None
2014- Blake Bortles
2015- Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
2016- Jared Goff, Carson Wentz
2017- Mitchell Trubisky
2018- Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold
2019- Kyler Murray
2020- Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa
2021- Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance
2022- None

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it though? I don't think the pundits are in love with it right now as much as they were about a year ago. Houston is probably taking whatever QB is at the top of their board (most likely Stroud), and they are going to be picking ahead of us. When Stroud is gone, what QB do you think is worth our top pick?
I'm thinking Stroud will be at 2 for the taking. Texans take Young is my best guess from what I have been reading.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2013- None
2014- Blake Bortles
2015- Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota
2016- Jared Goff, Carson Wentz Prescott 2nd round
2017- Mitchell Trubisky Mahomes. Watson
2018- Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson,
2019- Kyler Murray Daniel Jones
2020- Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa Justin Herbert Jordon Love
2021- Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance Mac Jones
2022- None

Most years you can find a starting QB in the first round after the first it gets really slim pickings. Here's a list of QBs drafted in the second round this century up tp 2019.

second round qBs.png

2014 was a good year for second round QBs ( Carr and Jimmy G.) and Seahawks have two of these second round QBs ( Geno & Lock), Drew Brees ( over 20 years ago) was the rare gem and the rest were not starting material. If you need a starter the first round is where you should look, no guarantees as plenty have busted it's reallly a matter of picking the right one and having the right coaching staff and teamates.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Stroud will be at 2 for the taking. Texans take Young is my best guess from what I have been reading.
Yes Young is mocked to go to the Texans, Stroud is mocked to be the next QB off the board then Levis, but all that will likely change as we approach the draft.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not impressed with any of these QBs as a top 5 pick (if that's what the Denver pick turns out to be). I would much rather see the team draft Carter or Anderson and continue to build an elite defense. Every year, these so called draft gurus tout these kids at QB and they are almost always busts or at the very least, projects with "potential" and "ceiling". Aside from Burrow and Herbert in 2020, who really stands out in the last few years? Tua has come along thanks to elite talent around him but does anyone not cringe thinking he's one big hit from being carted off again? Mahomes is the real deal, obviously, but he sat for a year and has the benefit of being with Andy Reid. Allen has turned out good due to hard work and coaching but the way he plays, I can see Cam Newton and Andrew Luck injuries coming so the Bills need to win it all right now or they might be screwed. Lamar is dynamic but again with the danger. Jury is still out on Hurts sustainability with the way he runs at his size. Lawrence looks to be starting to live up to his promise but the Jags will likely fuck it up somehow. Almost every top 5 QB pick since Luck have been total busts. It's ridiculous to be forced to play these kids that clearly aren't ready for the big leagues. Just my 2 cents but damn, I'm sick of watching the Baker Mayfield's and Zach Wilson's and Sam Darnold's and Carson Wentz's of the world.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not impressed with any of these QBs as a top 5 pick (if that's what the Denver pick turns out to be). I would much rather see the team draft Carter or Anderson and continue to build an elite defense. Every year, these so called draft gurus tout these kids at QB and they are almost always busts or at the very least, projects with "potential" and "ceiling". Aside from Burrow and Herbert in 2020, who really stands out in the last few years? Tua has come along thanks to elite talent around him but does anyone not cringe thinking he's one big hit from being carted off again? Mahomes is the real deal, obviously, but he sat for a year and has the benefit of being with Andy Reid. Allen has turned out good due to hard work and coaching but the way he plays, I can see Cam Newton and Andrew Luck injuries coming so the Bills need to win it all right now or they might be screwed. Lamar is dynamic but again with the danger. Jury is still out on Hurts sustainability with the way he runs at his size. Lawrence looks to be starting to live up to his promise but the Jags will likely fuck it up somehow. Almost every top 5 QB pick since Luck have been total busts. It's ridiculous to be forced to play these kids that clearly aren't ready for the big leagues. Just my 2 cents but damn, I'm sick of watching the Baker Mayfield's and Zach Wilson's and Sam Darnold's and Carson Wentz's of the world.
So name me some QBs that impress you that were not taken early in round 1. Also what's the plan if Geno turns back into a pumpkin, how do the Seahawks find a franchise QB?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think QBs are over-drafted primarily because of how singularly important the position has become. They get paid the most, get the most attention, almost always win league MVP, most of the rules changes favor passing/QBs, and we frequently hear things like "It's a QB league." But I think the truth is that NFL talent evaluators and/or teams get it wrong at QB a lot and probably more than at any other position. Over-drafting is a likely culprit. And while I do agree that the QB is the single most important player on the field, that doesn't automatically mean teams with a perceived need for QB should be funneled into taking one any time they have a pick toward the top of the draft. A top 5 pick is just one way to find a good QB, and it might be the one with the most risk.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 teams in the NFL, and almost every team starting QB was drafted in the first round.