• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Too Clever By Half?

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that phrase aptly describes Pete Carroll's attitude. I love the guy, but his need to prove he's more clever than the next guy, that he's always one step ahead of the competition, has cost the team big time. I need only refer to the Super Bowl debacle a few years ago. The ill-advised, unnecessary pass that was intercepted near the end of the game was one of the worst calls in Super Bowl history.

The failed fake field goal attempt in last night's game against the Falcons reminded me of that disastrous call. With only 7 seconds left in the first half and the ball at the Falcons' 17-yard line, the Hawks could have kicked an easy field goal to narrow the Atlanta lead to 3. Instead, he called for a fake FG that had little chance of success, especially with the slow-footed Willson receiving the pass, and the Hawks ended up losing by 3.

I think Carroll will go down as one of the best coaches the Hawks have ever had, but his accomplishments would be even more impressive if he reigned in his own ego a bit.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that phrase aptly describes Pete Carroll's attitude. I love the guy, but his need to prove he's more clever than the next guy, that he's always one step ahead of the competition, has cost the team big time. I need only refer to the Super Bowl debacle a few years ago. The ill-advised, unnecessary pass that was intercepted near the end of the game was one of the worst calls in Super Bowl history.

The failed fake field goal attempt in last night's game against the Falcons reminded me of that disastrous call. With only 7 seconds left in the first half and the ball at the Falcons' 17-yard line, the Hawks could have kicked an easy field goal to narrow the Atlanta lead to 3. Instead, he called for a fake FG that had little chance of success, especially with the slow-footed Willson receiving the pass, and the Hawks ended up losing by 3.

I think Carroll will go down as one of the best coaches the Hawks have ever had, but his accomplishments would be even more impressive if he reigned in his own ego a bit.

sounds like a pretty apt description

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah he's a great coach, great talent evaluator, builds a strong program, but when it comes to play calling the man gambles... sometimes those gambles pay off, but sometimes the gambles are UTTERLY not worth the risk... I think he has a philosophy of never playing scared, but sometimes being conservative is the right choice...

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Quit reading after that comment.
Carry on.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
willson is actually one of the faster TEs in the league, still stupid play call, really stupid.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bevell called the slant pass not Pete. Pete took the fall for it cause he never throws his coordinators under the bus.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, another 'worst call in history' post.