• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tonite's draft - MLB has us taking Vaughn

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Draft day mock: All 34 first-round picks

3. White Sox: Andrew Vaughn, 1B, California

The White Sox continue to debate toolsy high school shortstop CJ Abrams vs. the advanced bat of Vaughn. Bleday is in the conversation, too, and the club has at least investigated making a deal with Texas prep infielder Brett Baty. It’s probably safe to assume Rutschman wouldn’t get past this spot.

FWIW, I'm fine with Vaughn or Bleday, less thrilled with Abrams, who still seems to be the more popular choice for us amongst the pundits. The kid might have the most upside, but I want our #1 pick to be MLB ready in 2-3 years tops.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we took Vaughn. Nice

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we took Vaughn. Nice
Yep, no complaints at all. Actually, way back he was my initial pick out the gates. But the more I was reading about Bleday, the more I was beginning to inch toward him. But by draft time, I would have been equally happy with either selection. And not-so-coincidentally, Bleday was picked right afterward.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, no complaints at all. Actually, way back he was my initial pick out the gates. But the more I was reading about Bleday, the more I was beginning to inch toward him. But by draft time, I would have been equally happy with either selection. And not-so-coincidentally, Bleday was picked right afterward.

The surprise was taking Matthew Thompson in the 2nd round about 40 spots higher than FanGraphs and MLB.com had him ranked. He's a high school right hander with a fastball in the low-to-mid 90's. Big, athletic frame and most feel there's more velo there... but he's a project. Some feel this was a reach for #41 overall and I can't blame them.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found Vaughn's walk/strikeout numbers for his college years: 122/75 - again, almost unheard of for a power hitter. It wouldn't surprise me if we see him in early '21. Oh, and speaking of first round picks, our previous year's selection, Nick Madrigal, has gone 8-12 in his first three games since promoted to AA ball. A very small sample size no doubt, but at least he's coming out ripping.