• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

To celebrate or not to celebrate?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assume we lose to Kershaw. Further assume the Brewers lose in Cincy.

Do the Giants celebrate? Should they celebrate?

I view the WC as a booby-prize, and unworthy of celebration. Winning the division is a flag that gets to be hung in the rafters. The WC is akin to being patted on the head by one of the older kids.

I expect the dogs to celebrate if they win tonight. I don't want to see it, but I understand it, and it is appropriate. If the Giants do anything more than a few hand shakes, I will be disappointed.

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No celebrations until it's all won. This team needs to get back in the mode of being on a mission to win it all.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can't win it if you're not in it.

And we will be in it.

If we can win the WC playoff, anything can happen. We have been there before with current personnel, and we know what it takes. LA can't say that, and the Pirates can't say that.

We will know when to celebrate. Right after our 12th postseason win.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are taking it an extra step and say that they should not celebrate in the event they win the NLDS or the NLCS?

That is a little too far, IMHO. The NLCS is a pennant. That is pretty big, regardless what happens in the World Series. The NLDS allows you to play for the NLCS. I am OK with dog-piles after those wins. Clinching a WC spot or winning the WC game, however, deserves nothing more than a larger smile than normal.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Pirates, during their clubhouse celebration yesterday, had on the usual t-shirts...except they just said "Postseason" on them, because they don't know yet if they will win their division. Too funny.

Kind of like Belushi in Animal House with his "College" shirt.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you can't win it if you're not in it.

And we will be in it.

If we can win the WC playoff, anything can happen. We have been there before with current personnel, and we know what it takes. LA can't say that, and the Pirates can't say that.

We will know when to celebrate. Right after our 12th postseason win.

We had Pagan for our runs, we don't now. I keep harping on this but to me he was as important to the team as almost any other player except maybe Posey. I'm not feeling very optimistic about the playoffs. Our chances are better than zero however and I'll be rooting, because it's a game and it's fun to hope you win, and most teams don't even get to hope in the postseason.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys are taking it an extra step and say that they should not celebrate in the event they win the NLDS or the NLCS?

That is a little too far, IMHO. The NLCS is a pennant. That is pretty big, regardless what happens in the World Series. The NLDS allows you to play for the NLCS. I am OK with dog-piles after those wins. Clinching a WC spot or winning the WC game, however, deserves nothing more than a larger smile than normal.

:agree:

Winning the WC game deserves some fun though.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winning the WC game deserves some fun though.

Winning the WC game will get celebration for 2 reasons...

1) Tradition. Baseball loves it some dog piles.

2) It is emotional. If the game were lost, the season would have been over. I understand celebrating that.

However, I feel it is too early in the process to celebrate. You have not won anything yet. You simply have not been eliminated. Celebrating the WC game is akin to celebrating each time a team below you gets eliminated from the pennant race.

Only celebrate if you win something (World Series, Pennant, Division). However, I am OK with celebrating a LDS series, though that is the very bottom of the barrel.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anytime you make the playoffs it's time for celebration. Party on and move on.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also depends on what you mean by "celebrate". As far as the team, I would not celebrate backing into a wildcard spot.

Win the wildcard game - a little celebration is appropriate, but no champagne and goggles.

Win the NLDS - a little celebration is appropriate, but no champagne and goggles.

Win the NLCS - some champagne and goggles. Hey, you're going to the World Series!

Win the WS - we know what to do. Been there, done that.

Fans should keep their celebrations in step with the above.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also depends on what you mean by "celebrate". As far as the team, I would not celebrate backing into a wildcard spot.

Win the wildcard game - a little celebration is appropriate, but no champagne and goggles.

Win the NLDS - a little celebration is appropriate, but no champagne and goggles.

Win the NLCS - some champagne and goggles. Hey, you're going to the World Series!

I can go with this.

:suds:

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get the some champagne part.

But no Googles?!? But I use Google all the time!