• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TMQ is dumb

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
TMQ: Russell Wilson may be the NFL's best young quarterback - ESPN

I used to like this guy, but like him less and less the more I've read him (rarely do so these days).

A few thoughts just on his opening bit on Wilson. First, as a Niners' fan, I'm a bit indignant he says that all the guys taken higher than Wilson this year and in the first round last year are out of the playoffs. Undoubtedly true, but it overlooks kap.

Perhaps more bothersome is his statement that the NFL is a passing league because the top two running teams (Minny and Was) were eliminated from the playoffs. I don't disagree with his conclusion, but his rationale is idiotic. Those teams also happened to have serious issues at the QB position. No one has ever claimed that a team can get by with no passing game whatsoever, and that's effectively what those two teams attempted to do.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a healthy griffon would have beaten wilson and the seaguls. neither the vikings or skins had a legit healthy qb, which is why both teams will be watching the playoffs this weekend.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a healthy griffon would have beaten wilson and the seaguls.

neither the vikings or skins had a legit healthy qb, which is why both teams will be watching the playoffs this weekend.

Agreed! And Agreed!

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
a healthy griffon would have beaten wilson and the seaguls.

Disagree. Seattle is clearly a better team than the Redskins even at full strength IMO. It might've been different if they didn't lose Orakpo though.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the column, here is the thing, Luck inherited a 2 win team and no running game and a far worse offensive line and had no training wheels from the beginning. Wilson inherited a top 5 defense, one of the best running backs in football and a very good offensive line. He also was brought in slowly. I watched the game against the Redskins and he missed some open throws, got sacked a number of times, got off some good runs and had a cool head throughout the game. He did not have a great game.

I'm deep in the middle of Russell Wilson worship territory and it's getting a bit tiresome; he speaks in so many platitudes it's a joke, and people are saying it's an outrage if he's not the rookie of the year. He is a very accurate passer, prepares like a madman, keeps his cool no matter what and is a great runner. I still think far more was asked of Luck this year, and a couple of weeks ago every Seattle sports radio jockey was asking national media types whether they would choose Wilson or Kaepernick. Peter King, Matt Williamson, and others said that Kaepernick had a higher ceiling and a lower floor. Kaepernick has a stronger arm, is a better runner, and I think is as cool under pressure. I'm not a defensive coordinator, but I'm also convinced that his height will be a drawback once smart coordinators have a year of tape of him to study and plan for.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I used to religiously read TMQ for years now, but I feel the column has gotten stale recently. He pretty much cherry picks stats to prove his theories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Disagree. Seattle is clearly a better team than the Redskins even at full strength IMO. It might've been different if they didn't lose Orakpo though.

A better team, perhaps, but they were in serious trouble in that game if the Skins has been able to stage even a tolerable offensive attack after RGIII reinjured his leg. Even with his injury, it was really only the unforced fumble when he injured himself that handed the game to the Hawks.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A better team, perhaps, but they were in serious trouble in that game if the Skins had been able to stage even a tolerable offensive attack after RGIII reinjured his leg. Even with his injury, it was really only the unforced fumble when he injured himself that handed the game to the Hawks.

This.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think TMQ is running on fumes....they've stopped putting it on the front page for the most part, this was the first week in a while it was there. I always enjoy his asides at least as much as the football stuff - his analysis of the science in TV shows is always funny.

Crimson, as far as:

Perhaps more bothersome is his statement that the NFL is a passing league because the top two running teams (Minny and Was) were eliminated from the playoffs. I don't disagree with his conclusion, but his rationale is idiotic

He did include this quote a bit lower:

After the 2008 (Arizona), 2009 (Indianapolis) and 2011 (Giants) regular seasons, the lowest-ranked rushing team made the Super Bowl. After the 2012 regular season the 29th-ranked rushing team (Atlanta) won the NFC first seed.

He definitely gets stuck up on certain theories, but this one isn't so far off base.

As far as "dumb"......I'll assume you're just talking about football. The guy is a massive brainiac.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked what I saw from wilson, but I think we just have to accept that he is the easier story to write so that will give him the edge to some. small kid people doubted, drafted later but playing at a high level. That's easier than "the guy everyone thought was the most NFL ready QB in years who went #1 overall"

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think TMQ is running on fumes....they've stopped putting it on the front page for the most part, this was the first week in a while it was there. I always enjoy his asides at least as much as the football stuff - his analysis of the science in TV shows is always funny.

Crimson, as far as:

He did include this quote a bit lower:

After the 2008 (Arizona), 2009 (Indianapolis) and 2011 (Giants) regular seasons, the lowest-ranked rushing team made the Super Bowl. After the 2012 regular season the 29th-ranked rushing team (Atlanta) won the NFC first seed.

He definitely gets stuck up on certain theories, but this one isn't so far off base.

As far as "dumb"......I'll assume you're just talking about football. The guy is a massive brainiac.

As said, I think there's little argument that the NFL is a passing league. I don't think the fact that Washington and Minnesota lost in the first round of the playoffs in any way adds to that argument given the particular circumstances. Particularly considering that Seattle is the #3 rushing team.

As far as the dumb comment, I don't mean to be calling his overall intelligence into issue. I just think he gets hung up on silly stuff like this sometimes.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I used to religiously read TMQ for years now, but I feel the column has gotten stale recently. He pretty much cherry picks stats to prove his theories.

Whaaaaat. We're not allowed to do that??????

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I would say Seattle is a better team but I think the Skins win that game with a healthy RGIII.

Seattle was showing no signs of slowing down the Skins offense until RGIII went down and Seattle's D completely lost any respect for RGIII running the ball.

I see a healthy RGIII being able to score 10 more points in that game and keep the ball longer to help out his defense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Concerning Wilson the way I see it the Seahawks would be even better with Luck or RGIII behind center.

Give them both a top 5 defense and top 5 rushing attack before you crown RW as the best young QB in the league.

That's not to diminish what RW has done because he's played good especially as of late but there is no way I'm drafting RW over Luck, RGIII, or even CK.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concerning Wilson the way I see it the Seahawks would be even better with Luck or RGIII behind center.

Give them both a top 5 defense and top 5 rushing attack before you crown RW as the best young QB in the league.

That's not to diminish what RW has done because he's played good especially as of late but there is no way I'm drafting RW over Luck, RGIII, or even CK.

Luck on the Seahawks would be truly frightening, RGIII not so much because in about two years he will have no cartilage left in his knee.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luck on the Seahawks would be truly frightening, RGIII not so much because in about two years he will have no cartilage left in his knee.

I was just talking to a friend just the other day about this very topic when I found out he ripped his knee in college as well. You can only repair the knee so many times.

It is possible we will see a reduced # of rushing attempts from III as early as next season or at least more slides. Fortunately for him, he does have passing skills he can fall back on.