• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Titans extend Derrick Henry - 4 years $50M

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the beginning of the year last year, I think Derrick Henry was something like RB15-RB20. I'd have to go back and look at it but I got him late rd3 in the 16 team league on this board.

Derrick Henry had 1 monster year in his rookie contract. There are two ways to look at that. Either he doesn't have much wear on the tires are he'll get 1-2 more on this next contract *or* he is going to regress back to being an inconsistent commodity.

Titans were the #1 red zone offense in 2019 and #23 in 2018. Maybe it was Henry. Maybe it was adding Saffold from the Rams who was tearing it up for Gurley for a couple of years.

History says this is going to be a bad contract. I think they should've paid Conklin.
Well in the beginning he was a RBBC. The year before his monster year he was showing flashes, which is why they gave him the reigns. Since he started off so light. He has a good few years of heavy use before possibly breaking down IMO.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He established himself as the best RB in the league with that post season.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in the beginning he was a RBBC. The year before his monster year he was showing flashes, which is why they gave him the reigns. Since he started off so light. He has a good few years of heavy use before possibly breaking down IMO.
I do think there is a possibility of it working out for a couple of years. Henry was a beast in college.

Titans play a really physical brand of football but the physical brand is still dependent on timely QB play. If Tannehill regresses at all then I think there is a chance that the Titans brand of football might not ever get them over the 9-7 hump.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They essentially paid out these two contracts for about a half of a season production. Like Clayton said, Henry wasn't a top 10-15 RB before this past year or even half the year. Tannehill didn't start for his team. They lose Conklin...I get why they are doing this but it isn't the long-term solution.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He established himself as the best RB in the league with that post season.

Sure, he was the best RB for a 6 game stretch. If he can maintain that but he has always been inconsistent, getting more carries helps but they essentially gave him this money bc of a 6 game stretch.

Tannehill for the 10 games he played.

It sounds like a team that will consistently be a playoff team or borderline playoff team that will never get over the hump.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They essentially paid out these two contracts for about a half of a season production. Like Clayton said, Henry wasn't a top 10-15 RB before this past year or even half the year. Tannehill didn't start for his team. They lose Conklin...I get why they are doing this but it isn't the long-term solution.
They did beat the Chiefs, Patriots, and Ravens during that half of a season. I get why they stuck with the same hand but its a really small sample size. The Chiefs played them again and won and the Chiefs are known for having issues against the run. If KC can do it, the other top dogs probably have a good shot, too.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, he was the best RB for a 6 game stretch. If he can maintain that but he has always been inconsistent, getting more carries helps but they essentially gave him this money bc of a 6 game stretch.

It sounds like a team that will consistently be a playoff team or borderline playoff team that will never get over the hump.

He lead the league in rushing as well. Wasn't just some 6 game stretch for him last year. But he elevated his game to a completely dominant level at exactly the right time.

I don't quite get the hate for Tannehill either. He was the 8th overall pick in his draft who was seen as this athletic project QB with a lot of talent to develop. He got stuck in a crappy organization but he's only 31 years old which is really that prime age for QBs and winning. It's not a crazy belief that he might just now be reaching his potential on a well coached team.

You look around the AFC and besides Mahomes and Lamar there isn't a whole lot there in regards to top QBs in the conference. Re-signing Tannehill puts the Titans in a much better position QB wise than a large amount of the conference.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he did. but also, consider the source

flacco established himself as the best qb in the league with a 4 game stretch, remember?
Yea those are my favorite times

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Christian McCafrey die?

No, he just got a dark tan

McCaffrey-madden-profile.jpg

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never support paying a RB that kinda money. I definitely cannot support it for one who is not a 3 down back......and who has disappeared for times.....

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Titans have now locked in Ryan Tannehill ($91M) & Derrick Henry ($25.5M) to over $116M of guaranteed money this offseason. All-in on the 2019 offense,
Tannehill’s contract was stupid and disqualified them from getting Brady which in hindsight looks like it would’ve been the best fit. Henry on the other hand was a great signing. He is a beast and in the prime of his career.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did beat the Chiefs, Patriots, and Ravens during that half of a season. I get why they stuck with the same hand but its a really small sample size. The Chiefs played them again and won and the Chiefs are known for having issues against the run. If KC can do it, the other top dogs probably have a good shot, too.
They also had a lot of their cap money distributed to other positions. It’s going to be a matter of whether they can keep this kind of quality going on both sides of the ball after dumping a lot of wasted money into Tannehill.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah that's why I say...they really didn't have a choice. They were one half away from the SB...and Henry is still young even though I think he is a bit overrated.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Titans one week: obvious Super Bowl contenders
Titans the next week: get beat by local high school

That's the Titans.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lead the league in rushing as well. Wasn't just some 6 game stretch for him last year. But he elevated his game to a completely dominant level at exactly the right time.

I don't quite get the hate for Tannehill either. He was the 8th overall pick in his draft who was seen as this athletic project QB with a lot of talent to develop. He got stuck in a crappy organization but he's only 31 years old which is really that prime age for QBs and winning. It's not a crazy belief that he might just now be reaching his potential on a well coached team.

You look around the AFC and besides Mahomes and Lamar there isn't a whole lot there in regards to top QBs in the conference. Re-signing Tannehill puts the Titans in a much better position QB wise than a large amount of the conference.

That 6-7 game stretch had a lot to do with it. He would have been hovering around 1,000 keep up. Maybe we see a different Henry from now on but up until that stretch he was pretty inconsistent. The first 9 games he was averaged 71 a game then he had 4 games over 150...yes that is inconsistent. We saw it in 2018 as well just even more inconsistent. I will say when he gets yards he gets in the endzone too though...just lackluster in the passing game as well for the most part.

Definitely, overall they had to make these moves and a little better Henry is still young so not really against it...just telling the facts. Don't be fooled by a stretch. Good guy though I hope he keeps it up.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titans one week: obvious Super Bowl contenders
Titans the next week: get beat by local high school

That's the Titans.

At least they have hope...the Browns haven't had hope in 30+ years