• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Timonen

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Timmy P put out an article on Timonen's decision whether he will retire or not after the season. As much as I love Timmonen in orange and black, I'm not sure if I'd give him another year? I guess if it's not for anything north of 5 million? I could have sworn he already said he was planning on retiring, no?

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the guy and he has been a solid player and everything we wanted in him. After this year I would keep him if it was a 4 million or less.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the guy and he has been a solid player and everything we wanted in him. After this year I would keep him if it was a 4 million or less.

Lol. That was a fast response. I was coming back bc I feel terrible for misspelling his name.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all hinges on how well he does this season, whether or not he'll even accept $4 million (because we won't have the money to pay him 6) and whether or not we're able to pull off a trade during or after the season to bring in a top defenseman.

Even if he performs well and is willing to take a pay cut, he will turn 40 during that next season and there may be better options in free agency or via trade.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This all hinges on how well he does this season, whether or not he'll even accept $4 million (because we won't have the money to pay him 6) and whether or not we're able to pull off a trade during or after the season to bring in a top defenseman.

Even if he performs well and is willing to take a pay cut, he will turn 40 during that next season and there may be better options in free agency or via trade.

This is kind of where I was going w this. I just can't imagine how we could possibly keep him after this season? I want Kimo to retire in a Flyer jersey, but if he plays an additional season, I don't see how or why we would sign a 1 yr deal north of 5 million? I believe a few teams would be willing to pay that price.
I'll

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of where I was going w this. I just can't imagine how we could possibly keep him after this season? I want Kimo to retire in a Flyer jersey, but if he plays an additional season, I don't see how or why we would sign a 1 yr deal north of 5 million? I believe a few teams would be willing to pay that price.
I'll

Let's hope he wins a Cup this season and retires as a Flyer while on top of the world.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way of telling what shape Kimmo will be in next June. I really can not imagine him maintaining his play for much longer, but if he is able to then I'll welcome him back with open arms.

Going off of what Mav said, my body is ready for the impending "Phaneuf to Philly" rumors at the deadline next year

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh god damnit 4706,why must you say these things :Cry:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably keep him around for another 2 seasons if I could. If they lose Timonen their the only puck carrying dman in the system is Mark Streit. Timonen was probably the brute at part of the Flyers' season last year, probably the single most important player they had last season. Letting Timonen go or retire without replacing him with someone who could take his place would put the Flyers back to what they were last season IMO.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would probably keep him around for another 2 seasons if I could. If they lose Timonen their the only puck carrying dman in the system is Mark Streit. Timonen was probably the brute at part of the Flyers' season last year, probably the single most important player they had last season. Letting Timonen go or retire without replacing him with someone who could take his place would put the Flyers back to what they were last season IMO.

They will replace him one way or another if he doesn't come back. With his $6 million off the books and a hole in the roster, that's a given.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will replace him one way or another if he doesn't come back. With his $6 million off the books and a hole in the roster, that's a given.

This is true, but looking at their system the only guy who could replace him is Hagg. I would probably wait till Hagg joins the team before I let Timonen go.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but looking at their system the only guy who could replace him is Hagg. I would probably wait till Hagg joins the team before I let Timonen go.

I'm just saying that there will be cap space to sign or trade for a top notch defender. They're not going to replace Timonen with a 19-20 year old rookie. As tight as the division is and will be, you may miss the playoffs for a season or two with a move like that (with or without injuries).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just saying that there will be cap space to sign or trade for a top notch defender. They're not going to replace Timonen with a 19-20 year old rookie.

I guess they could try to get some dman who could run the point with Streit & beyond until Hagg is ready to be the man. IDK tho, Timonen has been big for the Flyers, I think he was their most important player last year and still has enough in the tank to be one of the top dmen in the league for 2-3 more seasons. I could be wrong tho, maybe I'm overrating him, I have a tendency to overrate Fin players.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is the Finnish version of Lidstrom with regard to durability, then he can be solid for 2-3 more seasons. He is definitely one tough motherfucker either way...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is the Finnish version of Lidstrom with regard to durability, then he can be solid for 2-3 more seasons. He is definitely one tough motherfucker either way...

Yeah, I really respect how he's carried that blue line ever since Pronger went down. He's probably my favorite Flyer next to Max. Gotta respect his approach to the game, never really gets the credit he deserves from non-Flyer fans. He's probably the 2nd best dman in the Metropolitan Division next to Kris Letang.