• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Lincecum Appreciation Thread

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, if Joaquin Arias can get one.....

It was announced today that Tim Lincecum will undergo season ending hip surgery, potentially ending his Giants career. It's an unfortunate, yet foreseen end to an illustrious career.

It was Timmeh who ushered the Giants from the post-Bonds era into the dynasty era, winning back-to-back CY Young awards, and then dominating in the 2010 playoffs, starting with a complete game shutout with 14 Ks in the opening round, and finishing with 8 innings of 1-run ball to clinch the first World Series in San Francisco.

He wasn't the pitcher his body allowed him to be after the 2011 season. He had to adjust to a loss of his freaky athleticism and flexibility, and the results were Tim 2.0 (or broken Tim). It wasn't his CY Young days, but Tim 2.0 had no-hitters, back-to-back years against the Padres.

No matter how bad his pitching was, he never blamed anyone but himself, and he was quick to thank his teammates whenever he pitched a gem. He was always a clubhouse favorite, a media favorite (2 links), a fan favorite, a marketing favorite, Amy G's favorite.

The numbers:

269 games (261 starts): 108 wins 83 losses, 1643.2 IP, 3.61 ERA, 107 ERA+ (138 5-year peak), 1704 Ks, 22.9 WAR (BBR).

2 CY Youngs, 3 World Series, 4 All-Star appearances, 3 Strikeout season leaders, 1 MVP of the postseason.

He'll finish 4th overall in Giants history in strikeouts, and 6th in strikeouts/walks ratio.

This never get's old. Cheers to you Tim

:doobs:

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well said, classy post. He definitely deserves a day to be honored for his contributions to the organization.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very sad that he wont get his swan-song start at AT&T. I think the Giants really did all they could to allow for that, but his hips just wouldnt allow for it.

GREAT Giant! 55 SHOULD be retired, but their STUPID STUPID STUPID HOF rule will prevent that.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always be a fan of The Freak! More great/good memories than bad. Can't ask for much more than that out of a player.......

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will always be a fan of The Freak! More great/good memories than bad. Can't ask for much more than that out of a player.......
My favorite from Timmeh...

2010 ALDS Game 1. He got outshined that day by Doc, but his game was arguably MORE dominant. 14K 1-hitter!

"STAY THERE!" I think this was in the 2010 NLCS. The go-ahead run was on third, but he was able to pitch out of the situation, standing him. As we walked off the field, The camera caught him pointing at third base screaming "STAY THERE!"

The Dogpile. Such an iconic image. Little Timmeh above the crowd of Giants celebrating the 2010 victory. When we were putting the banner together a few months back, this was a required image.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Timmy was rattling off great start after great start in 2008 and 2009, I didn't think his downhill slide would be so quick, or that I would want him off the team by the end of 2013. When he had his first down year in 2012, I had hoped it was a one year blip on an otherwise stellar career.
Being from Fresno, and a huge baseball card collector in my early teens, when Fresno got a minor league club again, I would try to watch a game once a year and get the team's baseball card set. I had gotten behind a few years and had ordered a few sets from the team's online store. There was an issue with the order so the store threw in the 2007 set for free! I was stoked to get the set with Tim Lincecum.
Here's to the pitcher who ushered in a great era of baseball for San Francisco and Giants' fans everywhere. I really hope he recovers from this hip surgery and does well wherever he lands. :suds:

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.

Timmy is my favorite current Giant, and I'm gonna be sad to see him go.

Between losing Panda and him, that's a lot of fun and flavor out the door. Hunter Pence is good that way, and Bumgarner somewhat too, but it won't be the same without Tim

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am very sad that he wont get his swan-song start at AT&T. I think the Giants really did all they could to allow for that, but his hips just wouldnt allow for it.

GREAT Giant! 55 SHOULD be retired, but their STUPID STUPID STUPID HOF rule will prevent that.

I agree. He'll go on the "Wall of Fame" thing, but he's not headed to Cooperstown. It'll be weird to see 55 on someone else in a few years.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Timmy was rattling off great start after great start in 2008 and 2009, I didn't think his downhill slide would be so quick, or that I would want him off the team by the end of 2013. When he had his first down year in 2012, I had hoped it was a one year blip on an otherwise stellar career.
Being from Fresno, and a huge baseball card collector in my early teens, when Fresno got a minor league club again, I would try to watch a game once a year and get the team's baseball card set. I had gotten behind a few years and had ordered a few sets from the team's online store. There was an issue with the order so the store threw in the 2007 set for free! I was stoked to get the set with Tim Lincecum.
Here's to the pitcher who ushered in a great era of baseball for San Francisco and Giants' fans everywhere. I really hope he recovers from this hip surgery and does well wherever he lands. :suds:

I think that the odds are better than even he ends up with us on a ST invite. I doubt he gets guaranteed money anywhere coming off 3 seasons of suck and surgery. We are an org known for taking flyers on players and he is one of our own. FWIW, Heyman reports the doctor says a full recovery is likely and that Timmy could return to pre-injury form. Sure it's a longshot, but let's all dream a little. We got nothing else good going on right now.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Timmy on top of the dogpile picture is a classic! I have the newspaper framed and hanging in my office.

I agree with the thought that we may not have seen the last of him. Could be rough water ahead for him in the Free Agent market.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the odds are better than even he ends up with us on a ST invite. I doubt he gets guaranteed money anywhere coming off 3 seasons of suck and surgery. We are an org known for taking flyers on players and he is one of our own. FWIW, Heyman reports the doctor says a full recovery is likely and that Timmy could return to pre-injury form. Sure it's a longshot, but let's all dream a little. We got nothing else good going on right now.

I choose to get excited about all the youngsters like Panik, Duffy, Tomlinson, Heston, Osich, Strickland, etc.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Timmy on top of the dogpile picture is a classic! I have the newspaper framed and hanging in my office.

I agree with the thought that we may not have seen the last of him. Could be rough water ahead for him in the Free Agent market.

Hey he loves it here, if we make a reasonable offer, i can't see why he doesn't go for it. He's never been a long contract guy, and he got paid, he can take a 1 yr deal to see if he's back to #3 form, and if so maybe we sign him for another 2 years....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I choose to get excited about all the youngsters like Panik, Duffy, Tomlinson, Heston, Osich, Strickland, etc.

Sure, me too. But RIGHT NOW, it's awful. Why not daydream of 2009 Timmah returning to the 16 rotation?
Wouldn't THAT be great?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, me too. But RIGHT NOW, it's awful. Why not daydream of 2009 Timmah returning to the 16 rotation?
Wouldn't THAT be great?

Damn right it would. I'm just saying if we're dreaming dreams like that why not dream of Heston winning a Cy and Panik winning a batting title?

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey he loves it here, if we make a reasonable offer, i can't see why he doesn't go for it. He's never been a long contract guy, and he got paid, he can take a 1 yr deal to see if he's back to #3 form, and if so maybe we sign him for another 2 years....
Exactly. I would be cool with it, as long as there is a short leash with next to zero expectations.