• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Duncan > Kobe Bryant

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the best of their generation? As a lifelong Lakers and Kobe fan, I've often viewed it as a toss-up. But, after much thought I've come to a conclusion that most basketball fans would view as obvious. Tim Duncan was the better person, leader, as well as the more consistent player.

It''s ironic that the thing that ended up ending Kobe's career was his selfishness and lack of trust in his teammates. If he had trusted the system and his teammates more perhaps he could have avoided his career ending injuries.

The proof is in the pudding, Magic Johnson often said that his strategy was to get the worst player on the team going. Kobe's strategy was to demean that player and treat him as though he were nothing. Tim Duncan is a far better leader in that aspect. Further proof is shown in Luke Walton's recent comments about Kobe wanting to help the team; he would only contact Kobe if the team was in need of tough love. That's all you need to hear in regards to Kobe's personality as a player.

Kobe had the potential to become his generation's Bill Russell but his selfishness and arrogance lead him to chase Shaquille O'Neal (one of the most dominant Centers in NBA history) out of town, as well as derail the Lakers' rebuild by demanding the ball and ignoring the development of the future of the franchise. Of course, some of the blame lies with Byron Scott, who showed no shame in being Kobe's fanboy during his final years with the Lakers. Kobe accomplished much during his career but could have been much more. In the same vein that we often view Shaq as having untapped potential due to being lazy, we have to view Kobe in the same light due to his arrogance.

In conclusion, there is no more doubt in my mind as to who was the greater person, player, and leader. Tim Duncan wins this one in a landslide.

Reactions: GNG

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was to build a team today with either player at their prime I'd take Duncan in a heartbeat. But I value defense more and would build my team around defense and smart shooting.

When you equalize it all Duncan had more blocks/steals combined than Kobe did and more rebounds/pts combined than Kobe did and rebounds IMO.

It's a VERY close comparison (like 55 to 45%) but I'll take Duncan. Both had fantastic surrounding teams but Shaq was playing out of his f'ing mind in some of the Kobe years. I'll say NOBODY on Duncan's team (outside of him) was even close to the duo, so that gets my nod.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Duncan

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It''s ironic that the thing that ended up ending Kobe's career was his selfishness and lack of trust in his teammates. If he had trusted the system and his teammates more perhaps he could have avoided his career ending injuries.

Meant to say 'fitting', not ironic.

If I was to build a team today with either player at their prime I'd take Duncan in a heartbeat. But I value defense more and would build my team around defense and smart shooting.

When you equalize it all Duncan had more blocks/steals combined than Kobe did and more rebounds/pts combined than Kobe did and rebounds IMO.

It's a VERY close comparison (like 55 to 45%) but I'll take Duncan. Both had fantastic surrounding teams but Shaq was playing out of his f'ing mind in some of the Kobe years. I'll say NOBODY on Duncan's team (outside of him) was even close to the duo, so that gets my nod.

In terms of skill, sure, it would be a close comparison. Once you add in intangibles though, I don't think there is any question of Duncan being better.

I would much rather tell a kid who is growing up with dreams of making it to the NBA to try to be a player like Duncan rather than a player like Kobe.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mm wasn't really referring to attitude, but if we're throwing that in the mix and leadership/tone on the court than it's Duncan hands down and not even close.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of talent I think they are pretty even adjusting for position played. Duncans consistency all the way to the end and his longevity seemingly without injury gives him the nod over Kobe.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we did this a while back, but I agree Kobe was a great player but i'll take Duncan.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
white chocolate > kobe

:playball::couch2::wink:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No potato salad option?

Poll = fail

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan by a mile.

But, mostly because I'm a hater.

Kobe was a phenomenal basketball player.

You can't go wrong either way.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan by a mile.

images93V9HFM6.jpg

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
images8RLZV29U.jpg

untitledwq.png

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to start some shit I will throw this here:

LeBron > both of those guys

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duncan by a mile.

You're just being nice, Mecca. Kobe was a horrible leader and actually had to come crawling back to Phil Jackson in order to even win a title after Shaq's departure. It's unfathomable; I mean, imagine if Steph Curry told Durant not to come to GS because he would steal too much of the spotlight, and it would no longer be Curry's team?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we did this a while back, but I agree Kobe was a great player but i'll take Duncan.
There was a poll a while back. Truth is that Duncan has always been a great player and Kobe has had up and down years. Duncan is the better.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe was a horrible leader and actually had to come crawling back to Phil Jackson in order to even win a title after Shaq's departure.

Disagree on both. Kobe definitely wasn't everyone's cup of tea as far as leadership styles, but for those who could handle his tough love approach, there were no issues and they got rings.

Kobe didn't require Phil to win 2 more championships, he required better players around him. Specifically the addition of Pau Gasol and the improvement of Andrew Bynum. Prior to that, they were bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round 2 years in a row with Phil as coach. Not to mention, how many titles did Timmy win without Pop?

Having said the above, I rate Timmy higher, but I wouldn't complain about having either to build a team around.

Last edited: