• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on the David Johnson debacle?

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has come up in a couple threads over the course of the past day, so I know it upset at least a few of you. My reaction, as someone not closely impacted was, "I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often."

It seems that many in the fantasy community have come around to being accepting of offensive players forgoing a chance to cross the end zone late in the game when they are leading by one score and can simply accept the first down and kneel to run the clock out. The thing here is, football objectives are rooted in misdirection and concealing intentions, and preparation can be part of that. I would venture to say that in this instance if the Cardinals did do anything improperly*, then they also hurt themselves in addition to fantasy managers.

Anyway, check out Matthew Berry's twitter if you want to hear him rant of this. I can't argue with him getting on some of the handling of it by whoever manages the Cards' social media, because saying you should have started Chase Edmonds is just dumb.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no thoughts on Johnson.
But I've been playing FF since 2001.
I like it. It's challenging.
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Still amazed people deliberately pay to play it.
But that's another subject I guess.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep - it's likely gonna cost me a win - - but over the yrs it's happened a fair amount of times. The fact that they may or may not have intended to play Edmonds over Johnson but never said it may piss people off - but it's unfortunately part of the game. Doubt anyone of us that started Johnson would have felt any better had he actually got injured on his first carry. ... I know wouldn't have, yet the result for this game would have been the same.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was disappointing. I am in big on him this year. Cost me at least three leagues but that is the risks.. But the worst is I am fielding texts from the guy in my work league who beat me tonight who is a Patriots honk. "Defense wins championships" he says as Mahomes and DJ sit in my lineup injured. :gaah::gaah::gaah:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their football gamemanship doesn't even do anything imo. They're gonna play the same style regardless of if Johnson or Edmonds was in there so its not like the opposing defense would change plans based on who was back there. Should have just held him out. Plus, its stupid to even throw him out there for 3 plays because he could have hurt himself more.

They were stupid. Should have reported him out

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Started him in one league. Which helped contribute to my worst nightmare in life.

Losing to micro.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My fantasy outrage is being suppressed by my 5-1 Bills.

Westbrook was a big one for me this week. No practice-big Sundays, are impossible to predict and can only be utilized when the alternatives are just plain garbage.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if only coaches cared about our fantasy team dammit:suds:

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing to take from this, which I think has some merit:

what if Johnson actually gave it a go, but the injury flared up and he didn't want to risk it.
THEN, the coach comes out in the media and says that was the game plan from the start, and that he wasn't planning on using Johnson unless emergency.

That would be a really cool thing for the coach to do for the player, to take some heat off Johnson's back while he recovers from injury. Last thing a RB with a bad back needs is media and twitter blowing up, asking why he couldn't suck it up and play through the injury if he was able to suit up and start the 1st series.

never forget, and this is especially true for fantasy football, there are at least two sides to every story.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happened, it's over - I kick myself for not starting Edmonds over R. Anderson in a flex spot. The signs were there, the stats were there to support it - yet I just didn't do it - it's on me, and me alone. .. there is no options other than to move on to this week.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jay Ajayi is working out with Arizona this week. Maybe Johnson is dinged up worse than thought.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
one thing to take from this, which I think has some merit:

what if Johnson actually gave it a go, but the injury flared up and he didn't want to risk it.
THEN, the coach comes out in the media and says that was the game plan from the start, and that he wasn't planning on using Johnson unless emergency.

That would be a really cool thing for the coach to do for the player, to take some heat off Johnson's back while he recovers from injury. Last thing a RB with a bad back needs is media and twitter blowing up, asking why he couldn't suck it up and play through the injury if he was able to suit up and start the 1st series.

never forget, and this is especially true for fantasy football, there are at least two sides to every story.

I think this is what happened.

The “emergency story” is complete BS.

If DJ really was only supposed to be used in emergency, they would not have played him in the first drive. That was not an emergency situation.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has come up in a couple threads over the course of the past day, so I know it upset at least a few of you. My reaction, as someone not closely impacted was, "I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often."

It seems that many in the fantasy community have come around to being accepting of offensive players forgoing a chance to cross the end zone late in the game when they are leading by one score and can simply accept the first down and kneel to run the clock out. The thing here is, football objectives are rooted in misdirection and concealing intentions, and preparation can be part of that. I would venture to say that in this instance if the Cardinals did do anything improperly*, then they also hurt themselves in addition to fantasy managers.

Anyway, check out Matthew Berry's twitter if you want to hear him rant of this. I can't argue with him getting on some of the handling of it by whoever manages the Cards' social media, because saying you should have started Chase Edmonds is just dumb.

I had Edmonds on my bench. I think that I qualify as your target audience here, yeah? lol. I'll do the math for you. Edmonds scored 34 in 0.5 PPR scoring. I would have won 145.1 to 136.7.

To make it worse. My team leads the league in points and this is the third time I've run into the week's highest scorer to lose (I also lead in points against and am 4-3). Really getting fed up with my team being so consistent posting 115-125 and having this happen. The Johnson/Edmonds incident was the icing on the cake.

Capture+_2019-10-23-06-23-40.png

To make it more painful. I totally called this.

Pickup Darrel Henderson and chase Edmonds if you haven't already

I just hope they rest him and I get to plug Edmonds in for a feature role vs a bad NYG defense (AZ's 3rd RB is ruled out already). Clearly, Johnson is not okay and I would rather have a Edmonds getting a full workload. As opposed to Johnson conceding 20-30% of his workload to Edmonds and operating in a less than 100% fashion. He could even leave the game early and I'm stuck with 4-5 points.

Ugh. Jesus.

But... that being said I don't think Arizona did anything wrong. Berry's rant came off as childish and even a little pathetic. lol