• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after game 1

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of build up to this game. Could Tomlin and Ben finally beat BB & TB at home? Improved Steeler D. NE Oline concerns. The AB factor. Brady too old...
So what's everyone's thoughts after game one?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game after very little sleep. The game started at 0720 here. Having said that here are my pros, cons and meh's.

PROS:
Brady and the WR group (-) JT, Nkeal and AB looked like they were mid season form.

Rex Burkhead impressed. Best game he's had in NE from my initial eye yest.

D looked good but I was surprised the pass rush didn't get to Big Ben more? Maybe Van Noy helps next week? Great job by the DBs and the line.

STs looked as good as advertised. Gunner and the new punter did their jobs.

CONS:
Sony Michel what was up with him? He looked slow and disinterested?

The Oline though looked good at times also didn't look quite sync'd yet.

Penalties, penalties dumb penalties.

MEHs:
Officials, this could've been a PRO as they didn't take over the game and didn't make any calls that the new stupid rules could've been overturned.

What was the BB TO at the end of the game? Let his D get an applause?

Did Bennett even dress? He was a non factor. I figured him to be getting to BR all game.

My 2 cents worth.

This and TNF were the only games I've watched so far. How was officiating in the other games? Any game that stood out to anyone and I should watch first?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the team looked solid and would have scored more if they needed to.

That said, the Steelers looked like a fucking high school team. Man it was still a 17 pt game when a Steelers LB broke through and tacked the Pats runner in the backfield. 4 of his teammates were right there and not one single high five or recognition that he'd just made a great play. The game was over then.

So mildly pleased but not ready to bet on -14 against the Phins.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the game after very little sleep. The game started at 0720 here. Having said that here are my pros, cons and meh's.

PROS:
Brady and the WR group (-) JT, Nkeal and AB looked like they were mid season form.

Rex Burkhead impressed. Best game he's had in NE from my initial eye yest.

D looked good but I was surprised the pass rush didn't get to Big Ben more? Maybe Van Noy helps next week? Great job by the DBs and the line.

STs looked as good as advertised. Gunner and the new punter did their jobs.

CONS:
Sony Michel what was up with him? He looked slow and disinterested?

The Oline though looked good at times also didn't look quite sync'd yet.

Penalties, penalties dumb penalties.

MEHs:
Officials, this could've been a PRO as they didn't take over the game and didn't make any calls that the new stupid rules could've been overturned.

What was the BB TO at the end of the game? Let his D get an applause?

Did Bennett even dress? He was a non factor. I figured him to be getting to BR all game.

My 2 cents worth.

This and TNF were the only games I've watched so far. How was officiating in the other games? Any game that stood out to anyone and I should watch first?
You know the addage about the Pats taking what the defense gives? I think the run game gave what the defense wanted and opened up more.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PROS:

You must have meant Josh Gordon and Dorsett. Harry is on the IR and AB wasn't at the game. Harry is eligible to return after week 6 I believe and Brown will start his Patriot career tomorrow at practice.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here are my thoughts.

Wynn made me feel comfortable last night, I mentioned before due to his height it's gonna be all about his footwork and man he looked good. Karras also looked good strong kid did really well. I think Collingsworth mentioned if the Pats are thin anywhere it's O-Line that is a bit scary.

Offense looked really good. Glad Gordon got the the first TD of the year hoping he can beat these demons of his. The whole WR group looked really good and of course we all know TB12 has a a lot to do with that. He puts players in the right position to succeed, great job by Tom and the offense as whole.

Defense held the Steelers to 3 points I think that say's all that needs to be said.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid game all around for NE. The O-line did a good job in pass protection allowing Brady to carve up the Steeler's secondary.

It was pretty obvious that the Steelers were keying on Sony Michel and the line didn't really give him much to work with so nothing to worry about there. Hopefully Marcus Cannon is not hurt too badly and will return shortly.

The Defense looks legit, it's going to be fun to watch.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game all around. The o-line did a great job pass blocking. Run blocking..... different story. The backs were getting hit behind the line of scrimmage a lot. Burkhead did well breaking some of those tackles. Sony, not so well.

I too was hoping for more sacks. But the Steelers o-line is pretty good. And Ben is hard to take down considering his fat ass weighs almost 500lbs.

Defense looked mid season form. The Steelers still have a top 10 WR and RB and both did hardly anything. Chung shut down their TE.

Solid game.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this defense really is as solid as they've been playing, holy shit!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have meant Josh Gordon and Dorsett. Harry is on the IR and AB wasn't at the game. Harry is eligible to return after week 6 I believe and Brown will start his Patriot career tomorrow at practice.

No I said (-) those three meaning they should look even better when those three are on the line up.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinions.....

Offense.

Sony Michel seemed to be somewhere else. Never have I seen him hesitate the way he did last night. If he plays like this against the Dolphins, he could be a victim of the "7 man sideline".

Rex Burkhead was great. Every tiomehe touched the ball he made something good happen.

Josh Gordon is a beast. He could be the TE in 90% of situations.

Philip Dorsett is a keeper. He made the Steeler secondary look like Pop Warner candidates.

Tom Brady is scary good. What asshole (Moose) said he couldn't throw downfield? Both bombs he threw were dead nutzand both were TDs.

Wynn has much faster feet than I could believe. He was a stud last night.

Karras really needs to work on tyhesnaps in the shotgun. He can't keep floating the snap to Brady.

Defense

DL......Good pressure but not great. They need to turn it up a notch.

LB......Terriffic. Every one of the played great on blitzes and coverage.

Secondary........Stellar. One PI call on Jackson and it was just a bit questionable, but he has got to keep his hands off the WR he playing against.

Against less tough offensive lines, this defense will be even more dominate.

Wish that Mayo would blitz just a bit more. Too often on third down he had seven (Dime) in coverage and four
rushing. On several plays he only had three rushers. When he sent five in after BR, the passes were thrown horribly and landed in a dead zone or were total misfires.

This group is only going to get better as the year progresses and just wait until Van Noy is back next week and is the blitzer.

Finally..............................................If D. Thomas and AB can catch on, this offense will bethescariest ever to play and holding the Patriots under 40 points will be considered a success.

Last but not least.....Nest three are against the division, Miami, NY Jets and Buffalo followed by the 'Skins, Giants, Jets and Browns. They don't get a real test until week( against the Ravens. They could be 8-0 when they go to Baltimore and I think the schedulers knew that this could be a blockbuster game when they scheduled it for Sunday night on November 3.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's pump the brakes a bit on this talk of steam rolling through the first two months.

Yes, NE looked very good last night and on paper the schedule looks easy, but.............................

I'll be very surprised if the Dolphins lay down next week in what will no doubt be their SB for this season. It's a division game and Miami has been a house of horrors for many years so it is setting up as a verified trap game.

The Jets rivalry is legit and they have shocked the Pats before. I remember being at Gillette a few weeks after Brady carved up gang green for 45 points and watching the Jets kick his ass and walk out with a playoff win.

Buffalo's defense is pretty damn good and the young QB can move and throw and that is a home game for the Bills so.............

@ Redskins and vs. Browns are wildcards. They should win them both, but will they lose their focus or overlook them?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's pump the brakes a bit on this talk of steam rolling through the first two months.

Yes, NE looked very good last night and on paper the schedule looks easy, but.............................

I'll be very surprised if the Dolphins lay down next week in what will no doubt be their SB for this season. It's a division game and Miami has been a house of horrors for many years so it is setting up as a verified trap game.

The Jets rivalry is legit and they have shocked the Pats before. I remember being at Gillette a few weeks after Brady carved up gang green for 45 points and watching the Jets kick his ass and walk out with a playoff win.

Buffalo's defense is pretty damn good and the young QB can move and throw and that is a home game for the Bills so.............

@ Redskins and vs. Browns are wildcards. They should win them both, but will they lose their focus or overlook them?
How about we keep talking about steam rolling the first half and acknowledge let downs can happen. One key will be focus 1 week at a time, but WE can talk optimistically

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about we keep talking about steam rolling the first half and acknowledge let downs can happen. One key will be focus 1 week at a time, but WE can talk optimistically

Suit yourself :thumb:

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attribute Sony's poor running to the Steelers simply game planning for it. Additionally, Devlin wasn't part of some of his runs so not sure what was up with that.

I have no idea how Antonio Brown is going to fit into this offense. I hope a good player with a good character doesn't get cut to make room. The offense clearly does not need him. Maybe BB anticipates another Gordon suspension? And then what happens when N'Keal comes back?

I assume the Pats didn't get to Ben very often because that wasn't the plan. I'm happy with giving up just 3 points to the Steelers no matter how they got it done. Could've been a shutout if Tomlin wasn't such a coward at the one friggin yard line.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I attribute Sony's poor running to the Steelers simply game planning for it. Additionally, Devlin wasn't part of some of his runs so not sure what was up with that.

I have no idea how Antonio Brown is going to fit into this offense. I hope a good player with a good character doesn't get cut to make room. The offense clearly does not need him. Maybe BB anticipates another Gordon suspension? And then what happens when N'Keal comes back?

I assume the Pats didn't get to Ben very often because that wasn't the plan. I'm happy with giving up just 3 points to the Steelers no matter how they got it done. Could've been a shutout if Tomlin wasn't such a coward at the one friggin yard line.

5 WR Set

Edelman
Gordon
Brown
Dorsett
Thomas or Meyers or Harry or ????