• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This year's cold-weather Super Bowl, argue the case for your team

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl XLVIII is being held in East Rutherford, NJ at Metlife Stadium. I looked up the daily averages for February 2nd on The Weather Channel website and the sunset is at 5:16 PM (1 hour and 14 minutes before kickoff), Average High is 39 degrees, Average Low is 20 degrees, Mean is 29 degrees, Record High 66 degrees in 1989, Record Low is -8 degrees in 1961. All temperatures in Fahrenheit for you international posters. Averages of around 5-6 inches of Snow in February.

So, assume that your team had a good year and advanced through the playoffs and are making a Super Bowl appearance. I want to hear the strengths and weaknesses you see in your team when it plays in what could be a cold and snowy field.

I'll go first with my 49ers.

Weaknesses: Looking at their schedule they only have one possible snowy weather game this year when they play at Washington on MNF on November 25th, and it still might not even be snowy, so depending on how they went through the playoffs that might be their first crappy weather game of the year and it could really hurt them. Maybe they'll get lucky and the Dec 23rd MNF game at home against Atlanta is a rainy sloppy mess, or they get home-field advantage and the NFCC is a wet sloppy game, but no guarantee there so I still see the inclement weather as a weakness. Another big concern for me is the secondary, last year they were the 4th ranked secondary but they completely fell apart in the playoffs and Super Bowl last year. If that happens again this year it will be more bad news because WRs have a HUGE advantage over DBs in snow.

Stengths: They have a very good offensive line and a very good front seven, which will help them control the line of scrimmage in bad weather games and sometimes this is the biggest difference maker in crappy weather games. If their O-Line can dominate and open big holes for the running game, good night. If their front seven dominates and forces the other team to pass in cold weather the opponents QB might struggle with accuracy with a hard ball and the WRs might have a hard time catching a hard ball with cold hands. Another strength would be a mobile QB in Kaepernick, just like how WRs have a big advantage over DBs on snowy fields, fast runners have a big advantage over defenders in space as it is hard to react quickly to cuts and changes of directions.

Overall: I think I'd have to honestly give my 49ers a 50/50 chance if they got to the Super Bowl this year. If it turns out to be a slugfest in the trenches because neither team can get the passing game going in the cold, snowy, and slippery weather; I think the 49ers have a big advantage here with their top-notch O-line and front 7 on Defense. On the other hand, if the opponent can establish a passing game and the QB/WRs aren't affected by the weather, it might be like last year where they couldn't do anything to stop Flacco and lead to a loss. I do believe that defenses win Championships, so with that a struggling secondary obviously loses Championships.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you are talking about just the cold for the Super Bowl than if the Bears made it they would have no disadvantages at all. Obviously that is a whole different story if you are talking about personal, schemes, etc but just based on weather The Bears would be one of the few teams that would have no problem in the cold.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you are talking about just the cold for the Super Bowl than if the Bears made it they would have no disadvantages at all. Obviously that is a whole different story if you are talking about personal, schemes, etc but just based on weather The Bears would be one of the few teams that would have no problem in the cold.

Yeah, just talking about the possible weather conditions. I figured most of the cold-weather home teams wouldn't bat an eye at the conditions since it is likely you'll have 2 or 3 games like that under your belt. Bears, Packers, Patriots, Jets, Giants, etc. no big deal, typical December home games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams (pretty ridiculous hypothetical but I have no problem making it):

Weaknesses - We don't have an established power back. Givens and Austin would likely be neutralized to a large degree and Im guessing that they would be a huge part of our offense if we somehow miraculously got to the Super Bowl.

Strengths - We have a young team and they should in theory play in cold weather better than older players. D line would have to be really dominant to get to the Super Bowl so I don't think anyone would be able to run on us...certainly not anyone from the AFC if we got past teams like the Niners and Hawks.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the last time I checked, Brandon Weeden was still our QB, so there isn't an environment that could make us suck and more or less.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably going to be in the 20's, maybe a little warmer or colder. Picture if it snows?

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weaknesses - We don't have an established power back. Givens and Austin would likely be neutralized to a large degree and Im guessing that they would be a huge part of our offense if we somehow miraculously got to the Super Bowl.

Strengths - We have a young team and they should in theory play in cold weather better than older players. D line would have to be really dominant to get to the Super Bowl so I don't think anyone would be able to run on us...certainly not anyone from the AFC if we got past teams like the Niners and Hawks.

He is talking about weather conditions only and the Rams would be at a disadvantage because of the Dome they play in.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is talking about weather conditions only and the Rams would be at a disadvantage because of the Dome they play in.
Well, yeah. I was just spelling out that the Rams, if they hit on all cylinders, would be a GSOT finesse team. They would struggle on offense. Their defense is good enough for the task but they would be at a disadvantage against teams like the Bears

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Might work out that the AFC team is a finesse team too and that weakness would get cancelled out for the Rams. I think the really interesting thing about this Super Bowl is that the weather might make the teams change what they did to get there for better or for worse. It might make this SB really unpredictable and exciting.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might work out that the AFC team is a finesse team too and that weakness would get cancelled out for the Rams. I think the really interesting thing about this Super Bowl is that the weather might make the teams change what they did to get there for better or for worse. It might make this SB really unpredictable and exciting.

That is why I am not a huge fan of the SB being played outside because it shouldnt be unpredictable. Yes I know its football and they play in all weather except lightning but the SB should be played in an atmosphere where the weather doesnt predict the outcome of the game, only the teams should predict the outcome.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is why I am not a huge fan of the SB being played outside because it shouldnt be unpredictable. Yes I know its football and they play in all weather except lightning but the SB should be played in an atmosphere where the weather doesnt predict the outcome of the game, only the teams should predict the outcome.

I don't mind if it is just one Super Bowl, but I do agree with your concerns. This could end up being a really boring Super Bowl if it ends up where one team is put at a huge disadvantage by the weather. I just think its kind of interesting that this year, how your team can play on a snowy and cold field will more than likely determine if they are good enough to be Champions.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind if it is just one Super Bowl, but I do agree with your concerns. This could end up being a really boring Super Bowl if it ends up where one team is put at a huge disadvantage by the weather. I just think its kind of interesting that this year, how your team can play on a snowy and cold field will more than likely determine if they are good enough to be Champions.

Yes it will def be interesting to see how it goes for a year but I would hate for a team to lose because the Snowy and Blizzard conditions doesnt allow them to kick an easy 25 yard field go the way they would be able to in a dome or in warm conditions. Than again they probably have a lot of plans in mind in case it turns out to be crap weather.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what football is. They should cut this pussy dome bullshit out and always have the game outdoors. It can rotate between warmer and colder areas, but football was meant to be played outdoors, not in climate control.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,532.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say play the SuperBowl in Baltimore. That way the Ravens get to watch the game.....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id just to point out that the offense of the Rams will be finesse and thusly limited in a fashion that would look similar to what their offense looked like last year. The defense would be quite good in these conditions and our FG kicker in theory has a ridiculous leg but he lost his confidence about halfway through last year so Im not sure about that.

I have no problem mixing in indoor, outdoor and dome sites as long as the game stays in America

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what football is. They should cut this pussy dome bullshit out and always have the game outdoors. It can rotate between warmer and colder areas, but football was meant to be played outdoors, not in climate control.

This is such an idiotic post.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure my team guaranteed the SB win so close the thread, Lions will be trying for back to backs before the season starts.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure my team guaranteed the SB win so close the thread, Lions will be trying for back to backs before the season starts.

If you are saying your team is the Lions and you are going to win the SB than HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lame:

indypatfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cold weather team playing in a dome is also at a great disadvantage. A dome is more likely built on speed with more deep or too the outside passing. A cold weather team will be more ball control and between the hash marks. This is more to due to the wind then temp. The windiest stadiums are probably New England, Buffalo, Cleveland and New York.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cold weather team playing in a dome is also at a great disadvantage. A dome is more likely built on speed with more deep or too the outside passing. A cold weather team will be more ball control and between the hash marks. This is more to due to the wind then temp. The windiest stadiums are probably New England, Buffalo, Cleveland and New York.

I understand that but its much easier for a team to adjust to an indoor stadium than it would be for a huge snow storm passing through. I think its going to be interesting but overall lose a huge crowd of followers for this year.