• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This time of year is awful

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are two different sports with two different dynamics. Not sure why so many people think you can mix and match the garanimals. Yes, today was a great day of CFB. No, expanding the CFB Playoff will not enhance the CFB experience by much. It never will be anything like March Madness, no matter what they do. It would just be a couple of extra games and still pretty dry like the NFL Playoffs are. In football, the better teams tend to advance. Has more to do with the sport than the format IMO. You either prefer one or prefer the other. Both options are OK. Just my onion.
Sure it'll never be the same but my point is that dpirts is supposed to be about the fan experience and enjoyment . Keeping fb interesting for more people longer would never be bad

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure it'll never be the same but my point is that dpirts is supposed to be about the fan experience and enjoyment . Keeping fb interesting for more people longer would never be bad
So says the the person who prefers basketball to football. IMO, as a football fan first guy, there is no reason to make changes just to try to get a few more fans at the expense of fans already supporting the sport as it is. Personally, I do not think having 8 or more teams in a CFB Playoff will make the sport better or more entertaining. As it is, football fans will watch, and non-football fans will not. I'm not a stick in the mud or trying to be a contrarian - as I have been for a four team playoff since the 70s. So, I like the way it is now. Different strokes, but I am saying this as a football fan first and basketball fan second. Respect your opinion, but...:)

SideSwipe52

The Franchise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree, unless its breaking news in college football land, or signing day, its slow, but thankfully college basketball is currently in season, and spring season for MLB starts soon.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So says the the person who prefers basketball to football. IMO, as a football fan first guy, there is no reason to make changes just to try to get a few more fans at the expense of fans already supporting the sport as it is. Personally, I do not think having 8 or more teams in a CFB Playoff will make the sport better or more entertaining. As it is, football fans will watch, and non-football fans will not. I'm not a stick in the mud or trying to be a contrarian - as I have been for a four team playoff since the 70s. So, I like the way it is now. Different strokes, but I am saying this as a football fan first and basketball fan second. Respect your opinion, but...:)
I actually like both sports the same ( CBB more than CFB but NFL more than NBA ). To me it's really just a matter of intetest . Probably the most exciting part of any sports regular season is the first half of CFB season . It's just the rest that loses most people . Sure we will still watch just it's not must see the tv anymore . All other sports ( college or pro ) the opposite is true . The intensity and importance builds . If cfb could figure out how to do that they would probably over take the NFL in popularity as people tend to care more about their college teams than their pro teams

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like both sports the same ( CBB more than CFB but NFL more than NBA ). To me it's really just a matter of intetest . Probably the most exciting part of any sports regular season is the first half of CFB season . It's just the rest that loses most people . Sure we will still watch just it's not must see the tv anymore . All other sports ( college or pro ) the opposite is true . The intensity and importance builds . If cfb could figure out how to do that they would probably over take the NFL in popularity as people tend to care more about their college teams than their pro teams
I actually get your point, 100%! I just don't think there is anything that can be done to make it better. Football is a grinder sport. So, I am okay with 4 teams like it is now, as I am relatively confident that most years with rare exceptions (1977 and 1983 come to mind), the best team is usually in the top 4. As it is, I enjoyed the hell out of the Orange Bowl (attended with my wife), and I didn't care as much about the Championship Game. To me, a lifelong CFB fan since 1971, the one extra Championship Game is already a stretch and anti-climatic. Cannot even imagine having to play a 3rd round. The football will only get worse each round, not better IMO.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are two different sports with two different dynamics. Not sure why so many people think you can mix and match the garanimals. Yes, today was a great day of CFB. No, expanding the CFB Playoff will not enhance the CFB experience by much. It never will be anything like March Madness, no matter what they do. It would just be a couple of extra games and still pretty dry like the NFL Playoffs are. In football, the better teams tend to advance. Has more to do with the sport than the format IMO. You either prefer one or prefer the other. Both options are OK. Just my onion.

You can absolutely mix and match garanimals in this context.

Obviously, the cfb playoff won't be exactly like March Madness. You simply can't have the steady stream of games that you get with March Madness and basketball is a sport where 1 player getting hot can completely change a game.

However, the context in this case is about generating and maintaining interest. In the case of March Madness, people stay interested because, even if their team doesn't win their conference or isn't a top 4 team in the country, they still have a shot.

Example: in 2017 USC won the PAC-12 championship in football, but I knew 5 games into the season that they weren't likely to make the playoff ,even if they won the conference, because they lost to Washington St. Any outside shot they may have had ended in their 7th game because they lost their 2nd game of the season. I continued to watch because I'm a football fan first and that's my favorite team in any sport. But it sucked as a fan that I knew their playoff chances ended 7 games into the season.

Meanwhile, the basketball team was a "bubble team" and had a shot at the tournament all the way to the last game of the season. Even though they didn't make it, it was fun to actually be in the mix all the way to selection day.

In college football, one loss can end a teams shot at the playoff and teams can win their conference and still not have a shot at the playoff.

Besides, since when is more football a bad thing? :noidea:

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can absolutely mix and match garanimals in this context.

Obviously, the cfb playoff won't be exactly like March Madness. You simply can't have the steady stream of games that you get with March Madness and basketball is a sport where 1 player getting hot can completely change a game.

However, the context in this case is about generating and maintaining interest. In the case of March Madness, people stay interested because, even if their team doesn't win their conference or isn't a top 4 team in the country, they still have a shot.

Example: in 2017 USC won the PAC-12 championship in football, but I knew 5 games into the season that they weren't likely to make the playoff ,even if they won the conference, because they lost to Washington St. Any outside shot they may have had ended in their 7th game because they lost their 2nd game of the season. I continued to watch because I'm a football fan first and that's my favorite team in any sport. But it sucked as a fan that I knew their playoff chances ended 7 games into the season.

Meanwhile, the basketball team was a "bubble team" and had a shot at the tournament all the way to the last game of the season. Even though they didn't make it, it was fun to actually be in the mix all the way to selection day.

In college football, one loss can end a teams shot at the playoff and teams can win their conference and still not have a shot at the playoff.

Besides, since when is more football a bad thing? :noidea:
USC was still in the mix after the Wash. State loss. It was getting hammered @ Notre Dame that did them in for the CFB Playoff. Followed that up with getting hammered by Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. Nothing wrong with more football, but I think the extra game for an 8 team playoff is not worth the extra grind for the top 4 teams.

Most years, the best team is in the top 4. There are exceptions, but I don't think adding 4 extra playoff teams makes the sport better in most years. 4 gets it done most years. I am not arguing against your solid points, I just have a different perspective. No matter how you shake it, I don't think USC was going to win an 8 team playoff in 2017.

I know it could have happened, but Iowa State could have won a Playoff game too (they won @ Oklahoma in 2017). There has to be a line. I want the playoff teams to be as pristine as possible. FWIW. I do think Ohio State deserved to be in the 2017 Playoff over Alabama, but I would not have favored an 8 team playoff to get Alabama in the mix.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC was still in the mix after the Wash. State loss. It was getting hammered @ Notre Dame that did them in for the CFB Playoff. Followed that up with getting hammered by Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl. Nothing wrong with more football, but I think the extra game for an 8 team playoff is not worth the extra grind for the top 4 teams.

Most years, the best team is in the top 4. There are exceptions, but I don't think adding 4 extra playoff teams makes the sport better in most years. 4 gets it done most years. I am not arguing against your solid points, I just have a different perspective. No matter how you shake it, I don't think USC was going to win an 8 team playoff in 2017.

I know it could have happened, but Iowa State could have won a Playoff game too (they won @ Oklahoma in 2017). There has to be a line. I want the playoff teams to be as pristine as possible. FWIW. I do think Ohio State deserved to be in the 2017 Playoff over Alabama, but I would not have favored an 8 team playoff to get Alabama in the mix.
P.S. @trojanfan12 I would have supported USC over Alabama in the 2017 Playoff too. Conference Champions OR Undefeated Independents ONLY in my book. Either way, my preference is for 4 instead of 8 even when there is a 5th team in the mix every once in a while.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC was barely in the mix. One more loss, which happened, or a couple of closer than expected wins would have dropped them out.

If the top 4 teams are truly the top 4 teams, one more game isn't going to matter.

Most years, I agree. But that doesn't mean that more teams shouldn't get a chance. I agree that USC wasn't winning the NC in 2017. But it would have been nice to at least be invited to the party (for lack of a better term). Plus, who knows, maybe they get hot or maybe they upset a team that had a real chance.

I get your perspective as well, but like you said, we just see it differently. :cheers:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S. @trojanfan12 I would have supported USC over Alabama in the 2017 Playoff too. Conference Champions OR Undefeated Independents ONLY in my book. Either way, my preference is for 4 instead of 8 even when there is a 5th team in the mix every once in a while.

To me, that's part of the reason to expand (I wouldn't go bigger than 8) though. Expanding to 8 would eliminate the conference champion vs. non conference champion argument.

In 2017, 2 conference champions were left out of the playoff. Having only 4 automatically eliminates at least 1 conference champion every year. So, if we go by your conference champions and undefeated independents criteria, we still have at least 1 and possibly 2 conference champions left out.

Additionally, if we assume that the team that wins the NC is the best team in the country, Alabama wouldn't have been in under that criteria, so we wouldn't have had the best team in the playoff that year. An 8 team playoff would have allowed for all 5 conference champions, Alabama and a couple of other top teams.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, that's part of the reason to expand (I wouldn't go bigger than 8) though. Expanding to 8 would eliminate the conference champion vs. non conference champion argument.

In 2017, 2 conference champions were left out of the playoff. Having only 4 automatically eliminates at least 1 conference champion every year. So, if we go by your conference champions and undefeated independents criteria, we still have at least 1 and possibly 2 conference champions left out.

Additionally, if we assume that the team that wins the NC is the best team in the country, Alabama wouldn't have been in under that criteria, so we wouldn't have had the best team in the playoff that year. An 8 team playoff would have allowed for all 5 conference champions, Alabama and a couple of other top teams.
I accept 2017 as an exception year. I just think most seasons are not exception years and having a format that corrects 2017 but will be an unnecessary grind in most years is just not that important enough to expand. The extra game already waters down the teams. 2 extra games would water them down more. The Championship Game would not be that exciting to me. We have already agreed to disagree but wanted to say it one more time! Fight On! :thumb:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I accept 2017 as an exception year. I just think most seasons are not exception years and having a format that corrects 2017 but will be an unnecessary grind in most years is just not that important enough to expand. The extra game already waters down the teams. 2 extra games would water them down more. The Championship Game would not be that exciting to me. We have already agreed to disagree but wanted to say it one more time! Fight On! :thumb:

I do see your point. I just don't think 1 extra game is that much of a grind. Especially since we're talking about a 15-16 game season which is right there with the number of games played in the lower divisions that have playoffs and the league that many of these players are trying to get to.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to buy this game and play it with your friends. It will help you pass the time before next season begins:

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely nothing on TV now. Turn to a sports channel to find either Northern Western Mountain School of Economics playing Eastern Mississippi Tech in basketball or listen to if Tom Brady's jacket will be able to make the flight to the Patriots next AFC showdown.

I guess you could follow the NBA, but I'll ruin the surprise for you, the Golden State Warriors will win the title in June.

So.....College Football, please come back.

can't you go down to Eugene and stare at the trophy case?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can't you go down to Eugene and stare at the trophy case?
I do have to admit when the Ducks made the CFB Playoffs I was a tad more excited than when they made the Final Four in basketball. Anyone one else feel that way when their school went to the Final Four in both sports? Which one were you more pumped up about?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have to admit when the Ducks made the CFB Playoffs I was a tad more excited than when they made the Final Four in basketball. Anyone one else feel that way when their school went to the Final Four in both sports? Which one were you more pumped up about?

i feel exactly the same way as you....

wait.....one minute. are you making fun of Nebraska?

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Tournament Appearances: 7
Final Fours: 0
Championships: 0
Win-Loss: 0-7

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i feel exactly the same way as you....

wait.....one minute. are you making fun of Nebraska?

Nebraska Cornhuskers
Tournament Appearances: 7
Final Fours: 0
Championships: 0
Win-Loss: 0-7
That's funny - but no I wasn't making fun of Nebraska- mad respect for Scott Frost here.

UtahUte

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,143.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to have these 2 ladies to keep me busy and entertain until CFB returns.
Does anyone know about camping and getting out of the fucking house? I guess some of ya are pretty close to mountains, and know theirs more to life then college football. Shit spend time with your kids and shit. It will be here pretty soon. Find something to do for Christ’s sake.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know about camping and getting out of the fucking house? I guess some of ya are pretty close to mountains, and know theirs more to life then college football. Shit spend time with your kids and shit. It will be here pretty soon. Find something to do for Christ’s sake.
Threesome with two hot chicks > playing Grizzly Adams out in the sticks

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CFB
CBB
MLB
Premier League Soccer
NFL