• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about getting a Tacoma...

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buying a truck, any input?

Planning on buying a half ton, four wheel drive, extended cab pickup sometime this summer or fall. I prefer to buy used, I have no use for a three quarter ton, I'm not against a crew cab but I don't need one. Gas mileage is a factor, but over the course of a year I typically don't put a lot of miles on my vehicle. It will be used to haul small loads and tow smaller boats on occasion, but nothing major. Leaning towards a Silverado, but I can be swayed. Anyone have any input/opinions?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go Jap! Stock Tundra can tow a space shuttle!

CarlWinslow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the new, ram, fifteen hunner
sam-elliot.jpg

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Planning on buying a half ton, four wheel drive, extended cab pickup sometime this summer or fall. I prefer to buy used, I have no use for a three quarter ton, I'm not against a crew cab but I don't need one. Gas mileage is a factor, but over the course of a year I typically don't put a lot of miles on my vehicle. It will be used to haul small loads and tow smaller boats on occasion, but nothing major. Leaning towards a Silverado, but I can be swayed. Anyone have any input/opinions?

the Tundra is good but really FORD OR CHEVY would be just as good,,I drive a Dodge but I'm not a big fan all though the 1 I have has been decent

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
buy an F150. They hold their value, are easy to find parts for, and will fit the average persons need better than most other full size trucks.

Nissan titans are nice full size trucks that you dont hear much about. My B&L had one for a while and it seemed to have good 4X4, plenty of power, and was pretty easy on gas.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw something on Bloomberg saying the new Dodge Ram was "truck of the year," had the best towing capacity and best mileage...but also that the F150 would outsell it by far, again. As to what that means, I'm not exactly sure.

But I used to have a Ram1500 and had absolutely zero problems until I sold it at 60k miles. I sold it to my secretary's husband who does stucco. Besides a new A/C compressor (because they'd sit in there for an hour everyday eating lunch) it made it to 250k miles when they hauled it to the dump because the cement dust had rusted the bed away.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go with the Ford F-150. I have a 94 F-150 that is a beast. Has over 200,000 miles and is still going strong. I know its time to get a new truck, I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. I love that cot damn thing.

Not my truck but this is what the black beast looks like. My truck has a little more rust in the rear fenders from living in Ohio is whole life. lol
Good luck on your search.

31748660003_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buy an F150. They hold their value, are easy to find parts for, and will fit the average persons need better than most other full size trucks.

Nissan titans are nice full size trucks that you dont hear much about. My B&L had one for a while and it seemed to have good 4X4, plenty of power, and was pretty easy on gas.

In Michigan there's a good chance of getting pinned down and raped, "Deliverance" style, if you're caught driving a foreign truck.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw something on Bloomberg saying the new Dodge Ram was "truck of the year," had the best towing capacity and best mileage...but also that the F150 would outsell it by far, again. As to what that means, I'm not exactly sure.

But I used to have a Ram1500 and had absolutely zero problems until I sold it at 60k miles. I sold it to my secretary's husband who does stucco. Besides a new A/C compressor (because they'd sit in there for an hour everyday eating lunch) it made it to 250k miles when they hauled it to the dump because the cement dust had rusted the bed away.

What year was it?

To add, I will probably be buying used. I just can't bring myself to buy a new vehicle when I can get a massive discount for one with 30k miles on it.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
A lot of folks will have stories of a truck lasting forever, with zero problems.
I would be in that category myself with Ford half tons.
But to be honest, I think you'd be safe buying Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Just do some research on one you like and get the one you like.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What year was it?

To add, I will probably be buying used. I just can't bring myself to buy a new vehicle when I can get a massive discount for one with 30k miles on it.

2004 I think.

It's worth a drive to FL, or any other no salt retirement haven, to buy a car. I've own some really sweet rides over the years I bought a few years old with no miles hardly from some old dude.

WPDAWG08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My state truck is an F-250 and it confirms why I hate fords. All suck except the 90s powerstokes, lightnings, and 70s years and back. Tundra low stock height makes them look gay imo. Dodges front end are ridic but the powertrain is solid. If I were you I would get a 10 or newer HD Z71 Sierra with some BF goodrich allterains you will be good to go.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
My state truck is an F-150 and it confirms why I hate fords. All suck except the 90s powerstokes, lightnings, and 70s years and back. Tundra low stock height makes them look gay imo. Dodges front end are ridic but the powertrain is solid. If I were you I would get a 10 or newer HD Z71 Sierra with some BF goodrich allterains you will be good to go.

Exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post.

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What year was it?

You live in That State Up North which has a proud history of automobile manufacturing. Ford built Detroit. Buy the cot damn F-O-R-D f-150 and put an American flag sticker in the back window and be done with it.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This should help:

This may be the funniest three minutes on the web.

I'm going to buy it, and then go peeling through a muddy construction site, demanding that the crane operator drop a pile of cinder blocks the size of a house into the bed of my truck.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that step! Didn't realize they had one of those - would be quite useful when piling dirty whores into the back of my truck to take home.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that step! Didn't realize they had one of those - would be quite useful when piling dirty whores into the back of my truck to take home.

Can I make a recommendation? Step or no step, piling dirty whores is rough on your back. If I were you, I would invest in a nice hydraulic lift trailer.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
LOL, Or just mount a cherry picker on the bed.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now we're getting somewhere! My boat mechanic has a 2500 chevy with one of these hydraulic arms on the back for lifting outboards n sech. He says he'd never own anything but a chevy truck. Good for him...he doesn't mind that his last 2 have gotten a leak in the rear main seal!

foldaway500_navara02.jpg