• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about a new travel trailer

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sold our 27' Forest River camper last year because we didn't use it much anymore. Now the wife and I are thinking about getting another one and semi retire to live a life of campground hosts.
Seems like everything we look at, in the size we want, has a queen master bed and bunk beds. It will only be the two of us, so we only need the one bed. The dealerships I've talked to around here have been no help.
We like to go a little bigger, maybe 28 feet.

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sold our 27' Forest River camper last year because we didn't use it much anymore. Now the wife and I are thinking about getting another one and semi retire to live a life of campground hosts.
Seems like everything we look at, in the size we want, has a queen master bed and bunk beds. It will only be the two of us, so we only need the one bed. The dealerships I've talked to around here have been no help.
We like to go a little bigger, maybe 28 feet.

Have you thought about buying an older one and remodeling the interior to fit your needs?

One of the guys I duck hunt with did that for his hunting trailer. He's a semi-retired lawyer who pretty much travels 8 months out of the year hunting and fishing. When he started out he just used the camper that he and his wife already had, but realized early on the setup wasn't going to work so he bought a slightly older model, pretty much gutted it and built it back to fit his needs, especially for his biggest need: gear storage.

Or if not a total gutting, just tear out what you don't need and repurpose the space.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you thought about buying an older one and remodeling the interior to fit your needs?

One of the guys I duck hunt with did that for his hunting trailer. He's a semi-retired lawyer who pretty much travels 8 months out of the year hunting and fishing. When he started out he just used the camper that he and his wife already had, but realized early on the setup wasn't going to work so he bought a slightly older model, pretty much gutted it and built it back to fit his needs, especially for his biggest need: gear storage.

Or if not a total gutting, just tear out what you don't need and repurpose the space.
It's a thought. I have a nephew who does that kind of stuff for Camping World. I'll have to get with him and talk about the costs of doing it that way.