• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things are heating up with Nelson Cruz

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would appear the Mariners suddenly have a bit more financial flexibility.

This was posted in the offseason rumors thread, but I figured since Nelson Cruz is one of the top remaining free agents, this topic deserved its own thread.

Just yesterday, the reports indicated that the Mariners were "back in business" in their pursuits of Nelson Cruz and Fernando Rodney, and their pursuit of Cruz appears to be picking up. MLB Network Radio's Jim Bowden said on the air today that the Mariners could make an offer to Cruz as early as today (Twitter link from MLBN Radio).

I honestly cannot imagine the contract that Cruz will get and probably don't want to guess out of the fear of looking stupid. Interest in him seems to have deflated over the past few months and it might appear as if he may be a 2 to 3 year signing.

I wouldn't be a fan of the move. I've expressed that Cruz is old, injury prone and does not hit that well away from Texas. Plus, he gives the Mariners another DH-type who cannot play defense, which we already have plenty of.

With the annual salary that Cruz is due to get I don't see why not spend the money on Ubaldo Jiminez instead. Hell, I'd rather give the money to Morales, or don't spend it at all and save it for next year.

I could live with the signing if it were for 2 years, simply because it appears there won't be much in next year's free agency class and his contract would come off the books when there are more options on the market.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point since pickings are thin, I wouldn't mind seeing the following:

Morales - 1/$10M (non tendered guarantee at end of year)
Cruz - 2/$20-25M
Maholm - 1/$6-7M
Rodney - 1/$5M
Hanrahan - 1/$2M
Bailey - 1/$2M

Again, picking is thin.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think fan is spot on. Getting bats for the team is important but at what cost? Keep acquiring bats but all of them playing the same position doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The attempt at possibly generating more power at the expense of always hurting your defense doesn't seem to be a great way of putting a team together that plays half of it's game in Safeco Field.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the m's desperately need rhb

that is where any discussion begins and ends when talking about the lineup right now

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And again, pickings are thin so you can't want what is not available. We need the RHB like cezero mentioned above and the only real options are guys that lack defensive positions and will be overpaid for what they have bring in a one-dimension game.

I would still take a chance on Jeff Baker on a one year deal. Cheap and can play OF just as poorly as the rest of the guys remaining in free agency.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that "momentum is starting to build" in Nelson Cruz's favor.

Cruz's market has moved slowly this winter but is evidently finally starting to pick up. Cafardo was told by a source that "there could be up to four or five teams who could take the plunge in the end" on the outfielder. The Mariners look like the most interested club at this point, and the Orioles are also in the mix. Cafardo adds that a one-year "pillow" contract is "still not out of the question," which would likely mean Cruz re-signing with the Rangers.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never been a huge fan of Nelson Cruz but I don't mind the Mariners bringing him in if it is for a short term contract. I really like the idea of a 1 or 2 year deal.

To be honest I still find it odd that Seattle is focusing on Nelson Cruz and not some sort of starting pitching help. Especially when you already have a couple of shitty defensive outfielders.