• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Witcher

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Character introduction: Princess Cirilla:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read the book if there is one.

Never play games.

But I have my calendar circled for Dec 20.

Popcorn ready.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final trailer:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's based on a series of books moreso than the game it seems
Makes sense. The game is probably 20x as popular so going with the books will make it a fresh experience for many.

It's also well written from what I've heard

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This show actually compelled me to order The Last Wish which apparently is the first book in the series. I needed a good book to read and Witcher 3 is one of my favorite video games of all time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
released today...anyone start it up yet?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I binged the whole damn thing today.

It's good. Y'all know way more about the books and video game than me so I'm spoilering my thoughts because I don't want to say something that screws it up for the insiders. Also I'm not holding back so this is really spoilery but my mind is a little warped right now and I gotta get some stuff off my chest.

Ok so that was alot to take in. Never played the game or read the books (although I might now) but read that it was a spiritual successor to GOT so Im intrigued. It started as me procrastinating on housework but by episode 3 I was like fuck it we're doing this.

Gerard was badass. Honestly he's the secondary protagonist in season 1. He's freaking unstoppable but it's really Yennifer's story. He spends a lot of time either killing monsters or deciding it's better to not kill monsters but the clear developed character arc was with the witch (her development-schwing!). You get to see some of his backstory towards the end, but for the most part he is who he is. Cavill is brilliant here-he plays someone who doesn't give a fuck until he needs to and it gives you a connection to a character that honestly you should struggle to connect to.

Anya Chalotra stole the show though. Yennifer went from ugly duckling to someone who didn't belong to someone who was so bent on power that I thought she was going to be the antagonist, to someone who softened and wanted to settle to someone who began to realize her place in the world-amazing performance.

The girl that played the princess. I was kind of meh. Obviously she will be important in future seasons but she didn't have a lot to do here.

The king and queen. The story jumps around a lot and that made it hard to follow. We saw the kingdom fall early so it was a little confusing to go back and see how all of this built up. King is an affable character. When he died I was like that sucked but after the backstory I'm gonna be a little more pissed about that when I rewatch. The queen-she got what she got. Great performance but it was apparent why her subjects hated her.

The bard was great character. Light character well played and added comic relief.

The bad guys were a little flat. The opposing armys leader was ok and I'm expecting more in season 2. Fringilla wasn't super evil. She was a classmate of Yennifer and had higher aspirations than Nilfguard until Yennifer stole her thunder. There has to be some friction there going forward.

So yeah. It is awesome but it was Yennifer's story. Looking forward to season 2. Sucks we gotta wait a year+ though. Netflix needs to go to 6 month seasons for shows like this.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first episode it definitely catches your attention from the start and the fighting/killing is solid. These are long ass episodes I don't know how you people have already binged the whole season

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finished episode 6 last night. I agree with everything @Cowboyinexile said.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the first episode it definitely catches your attention from the start and the fighting/killing is solid. These are long ass episodes I don't know how you people have already binged the whole season

That's where I'm at right now... Player of the games, started reading 'Blood of Elves' because I didn't know where to start, but based on what I know, they absolutely NAILED Geralt... Very compelling episode and the way they portray Geralt fighting is...... primo....

TemptressToo

The Godmother
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,242.61
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the first few episodes last night, it is like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones had a baby, narrated by Karl Childers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am watching ep 3 now. My background with the universe is W3 only. But it seems this takes place about the time of W1 or earlier?

Ciri is much older than she was pre-witching in the games. I get that change in a live-action telling of the story, though, so I am OK with that change.

I am not a fan of Cavills look, but he has the voice and monotone down perfectly.

I am unaware of Yennefer’s back story. I don’t remember her bloodline mentioned in W3, or her physical issues. I am not a fan of the aging they are going with for her. My understanding is the Yen and Geralt go WAY back and that she is quite old. This is showing her to be just a few years older than Ciri, and Triss being considerably older. I absolutely did not get that feel from W3. I think this is kinda important since it goes to their level of prowess and their varying relationships with Geralt.

all that said, the show seems alright so far. Not at all in the same boat as GoT (quality wise), but good enough, still.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a good watch thus far

I can appreciate people attempting to compare it to GOT but that is rather unfair considering it's stance all time among shows and the fact we are looking at GOT in a eight seasons worth of content as to at most eight episodes for those that have finished it.

Even more aggravating is the critics who are going well over the top criticizing the nudity. This world has always been grim and raw, that's how the story is told. Turn it off if you don't like it

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished the season I am a huge fan of the games I have played since Witcher 1 on PC I was hoping a little more of killing monsters and Geralt going on bad ass quests just like the game but like someone mentioned it seemed like this season was built around the character development of Yennefer whom has a nice set of titties. All in all I dont think it will win any awards but I will be down for season 2.

I dont know how soon they will work on Witcher season 2 I believe Cavill is still on the block to play superman so this could be a while