• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The value of wide receivers

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no team will ever have AB & Julio on the same team. While dominating the trenches gets you a lombardi.

besides could you imagine paying that payroll for those 2 WRs. The rest of your team would suck! (not enough money to go around)

I didn't mean both. I meant one or the other.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no team will ever have AB & Julio on the same team. While dominating the trenches gets you a lombardi.

besides could you imagine paying that payroll for those 2 WRs. The rest of your team would suck! (not enough money to go around)
Cowboys will have $40 million in Tyron Smith, Frederick and Martin next year for what thats worth. I'd imagine most teams paying franchise QB money won't be able to do that, either.

Drafting well has a lot of awesome benefits with the current salary structure. You guys are basically like Seattle back when Russell Wilson came on to the scene.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't mean both. I meant one or the other.
I know the way you are thinking is sexier & probably sells more tickets, but ....
I still believe you build your team from the inside out. (better bang for the buck as well in cap era)
Control the trenches & give me a 3 down back, just above avg. WRs. I would take that offense all day long.

All teams will always overpay for a QB, so a QB on Rookie contracts always help as well (Wilson, Dak, Wentz, etc...)

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the way you are thinking is sexier & probably sells more tickets, but ....
I still believe you build your team from the inside out. (better bang for the buck as well in cap era)
Control the trenches & give me a 3 down back, just above avg. WRs. I would take that offense all day long.

All teams will always overpay for a QB, so a QB on Rookie contracts always help as well (Wilson, Dak, Wentz, etc...)

I agree with that totally but I'm not a big Center guy. Tackles yes. But if the Cowboys said, you can have Fredricks or Zeek... I'm taking Zeke.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys will have $40 million in Tyron Smith, Frederick and Martin next year for what thats worth. I'd imagine most teams paying franchise QB money won't be able to do that, either.

Drafting well has a lot of awesome benefits with the current salary structure. You guys are basically like Seattle back when Russell Wilson came on to the scene.
Excluding the Patriots vs. Falcons

All Superbowl winners won the battle of trenches

BTW Dallas has an offense, but no defense is why they dont make it in. They make scrub QBs look all pro against them in the recent past. Which is why I have been wanting improvement on the DL while so many more concentrate on DBs

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that totally but I'm not a big Center guy. Tackles yes. But if the Cowboys said, you can have Fredricks or Zeek... I'm taking Zeke.
I know. We already had this discussion in the past.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BTW Dallas has an offense, but no defense is why they dont make it in. They make scrub QBs look all pro against them in the recent past. Which is why I have been wanting improvement on the DL while so many more concentrate on DBs
The Colts won their first one with Peyton with a fairly soft D that relied on Bob Sanders being a badass and Dwight Freeney attacking with the lead. Dallas has one badass flying around and a badass pass rusher.

I'm not going to say Dallas is the favorite but I wouldn't rule them out

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did they resign Martin? They have a ton of big money contracts due in succession. Lawrence is gonna get HUGE money in 2017. Then Martin in 2018, then Dak in 2019, then Zeke in 2020.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Dallas DLINE has been very good this year. Lawrence trying to win DPOY in his contract year. If he gets to 20 sacks I wonder what he pulls in?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Trenches are where it's at. I agree 100% and that's why Philly is playing well on D. If Sidney Jones turns out to be a star Phillys D will be dynamite. We shall see if he's any good. I think they are sitting him this yearm

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they resign Martin? They have a ton of big money contracts due in succession. Lawrence is gonna get HUGE money in 2017. Then Martin in 2018, then Dak in 2019, then Zeke in 2020.
Having no clue about their situation I'm guessing they lose Lawrence at some point, they get either L'ael Collins or Martin and lose the other and then they sign Dak and Zeke to be lifetime Cowboys.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin isnt going anywhere.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd rather have Travis Frédrick and Alex Mack over Antonio Bowne and Julio Jones. Not me. Ant TE needs to be further down the list.
This ole thing. I didn't say top of their position, just quality players. Most WR1's are not Antonio Brown or Julio Jones.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin isnt going anywhere.

Yes but how does Dallas manage 4 straight years of mega conteacts. I always thought there should be a.discount for resigning your own guys. They're getting penalized for drafting great.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Balljim55

To answer your question directly....Ideally, no. But, I think you're glossing over the overall effect of a top shelf WR1. Obviously a DEF must game plan for this player because they are capable of changing the game at any moment. The other component is making plays available to other players...Muhamid Sanu is a good player, teaming with Julio, he's a bigger threat because teams have to invest more resources to defend Julio.

That's a major contribution without touching the ball.

At the end of the day, if you are winning football games you must have playmakers on OFC and you don't typically win without talent outside. The TE position has been growing because the middle of the field is different than it was 20 yrs ago.

The big problem I see with the NFL is not all WR1s are the same. When you look at the top of the food chain...maybe 3 or 4 of those guys imo are really worth it. The rest are beneficiaries of the pay scale.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I look at the top teams in the NFL at the halfway mark, one thing sticks out to me. Very few over-paid diva wide receivers.

New England
Philly
Dallas (OK - Dez probably fits but he doesn't seem to be key to their winning)
The Saints
The Chiefs
The Seahawks
Pittsburgh ( AB fits the mold)
The Rams
The Panthers
Minnesota
Tennessee
Jacksonville

So the question is: Should someone who gets 6-10 touches a game get $15+ million a year? I realize that teams have to account for them which could open up other opportunities but still....

I see more success happening by spreading the ball around on offense, running the ball effectively, playing good defense, solid special teams and winning the turnover battle. It doesn't seem that you have to have a top flight - go to number 1 receiver. Particularly since the tight end is becoming more and more important.

Over the next few years I see the WR group getting a smaller share of the pie. More will go to both sides of the line and if you can get a top flight QB, TE, CB or Safety - pay them.

Not many overpaid guys there, but there's a compelling argument that all of those teams have some pretty good WRs.

I think a lot of the guys on those teams are younger, smaller guys who don't fit the Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, A.J. Green model.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the Eagles of the 2000s had had even decent receivers, and not Freddie Mitchell, James Thrash, Todd Pinkston and Greg Lewis, they would have won multiple rings.

Comedy Gold... :pound:

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
@Balljim55

To answer your question directly....Ideally, no. But, I think you're glossing over the overall effect of a top shelf WR1. Obviously a DEF must game plan for this player because they are capable of changing the game at any moment. The other component is making plays available to other players...Muhamid Sanu is a good player, teaming with Julio, he's a bigger threat because teams have to invest more resources to defend Julio.

That's a major contribution without touching the ball.

At the end of the day, if you are winning football games you must have playmakers on OFC and you don't typically win without talent outside. The TE position has been growing because the middle of the field is different than it was 20 yrs ago.

The big problem I see with the NFL is not all WR1s are the same. When you look at the top of the food chain...maybe 3 or 4 of those guys imo are really worth it. The rest are beneficiaries of the pay scale.
I totally get and agree with what you are saying. My contention is that an elite receiver is not a necessary component to a championship team, and if a big enough diva, that elite receiver could be a bit of a hinder acne. I would never consider Julio Jones a diva,

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get and agree with what you are saying. My contention is that an elite receiver is not a necessary component to a championship team, and if a big enough diva, that elite receiver could be a bit of a hinder acne. I would never consider Julio Jones a diva,

I'm inline with this thinking as well, but I'm not so much anti elite WR as I am anti diva.

A. Brown is a diva, I have issues with some of his antics, but at the same time he's one of the hardest working guys on the team during the season and offseason. His thing for a long time was the money and I couldn't blame him or OBJ...WRs really get one shot for a big contract...normally if they are still good enough for a 3rd contract it's as a 3rd or 4th guy type deal.

My contention more than anything...you need players outside to perform to win titles...if you have an elite TE like a Gronk or a Kelce, you can get by with avg talent at WR...or your draft pick develops quick (like a Mike Thomas) in NO for Brees.

I wouldn't shun an elite WR (i.e. not pick one high in the draft), but I'm not trying to build my team around a WR. And I think that's the crux of this thread.