• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Television Broadcast Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just opened LP Digital, and a pop-up said that the Jazz-Raptors game was within 5 points.

I don't want to know these things, I want to watch the game from the beginning with no expectations.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me,too. I hate spoilers. This is why I can't watch the game with my dad unless it is live. He will show what's happening with his attitude or he'll say something. Best game for Alex Smith, we were watching a couple minutes short of live and he looked at his phone and said, wow.". I knew what was going to happen. I was happy that it happened, but I wanted to be surprised when I saw it. He will act like he is really busy if he knows we're going to lose and he'll leave and then act like he didn't see the score. Then, he'll teasingly blame me. I know I will miss it when he's gone, but no spoiling.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just figured out how to turn off game alerts.

I turned them off.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me,too. I hate spoilers. This is why I can't watch the game with my dad unless it is live. He will show what's happening with his attitude or he'll say something. Best game for Alex Smith, we were watching a couple minutes short of live and he looked at his phone and said, wow.". I knew what was going to happen. I was happy that it happened, but I wanted to be surprised when I saw it. He will act like he is really busy if he knows we're going to lose and he'll leave and then act like he didn't see the score. Then, he'll teasingly blame me. I know I will miss it when he's gone, but no spoiling.

Can you have a rule that no cell phone checking on the days that the NFL game is played?

I would have said "no score checking", but then I wouldn't want your dad to be doing something legitimate on the phone, then a few swipes later get diverted into checking scores.

Hence the stronger version, "no cell phone checking".

Besides, unless he's running his own business, if he's with you, your wife, and the kids, what does he need to use the cell phone for on game days? He can talk to all of you right there!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad that you and your dad share sports bonding.

I don't have that with my immediate family.

The closest would be with my brother-in-law. I'll watch the Broncos when they're in the playoffs, with him.

Other than that, he'll watch a few mins of whatever sports I'm watching, or ask me for my thoughts on recent games. But he won't watch full games.

If I liked football, and Berkeley (I hate calling them "Cal"), I could watch that with some family. But I don't.

Barely any of my friends, especially local ones, care about sports.

Even a few weeks ago, when a friend from out of town was visiting, we watched the World Series games. But he doesn't have a TV, so he was there just to see what these teams were about, and didn't know the teams that deeply from the regular season, or the playoffs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you have a rule that no cell phone checking on the days that the NFL game is played?

I would have said "no score checking", but then I wouldn't want your dad to be doing something legitimate on the phone, then a few swipes later get diverted into checking scores.

Hence the stronger version, "no cell phone checking".

Besides, unless he's running his own business, if he's with you, your wife, and the kids, what does he need to use the cell phone for on game days? He can talk to all of you right there!

But you don't get it, if I tell him no cell phone, he'll say there's no reason for that rule because he doesn't check. I know he checks. Before you call that lying, I've never called him out before, so he's never said anything. Besides, there's always plausible deniability that he actually has some work to be doing. And I think, if it was don't watch the game and do what you want or watch the game and no cell phone, he might check not watching the game. For his college team, he won't check early but he'll make sure he's live. For the Jazz, if he decides to watch it, he will try to build up some time not only to skip commercials, but to check to see if it's worth watching.

It's simple for me, I won't watch my football team with him, but I watch the Jazz games sometimes with him or college football. If the Jazz basketball game is close, I will try to ignore him. Whenever my football team loses while I watch you with him, and he had made a comment, high superstitiously think it's his fault we lost. He'll act like he had to leave before the losing play and it was my fault. He obviously doesn't believe that, as we have no effect on the game.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you don't get it, if I tell him no cell phone, he'll say there's no reason for that rule because he doesn't check. I know he checks. Before you call that lying, I've never called him out before, so he's never said anything. Besides, there's always plausible deniability that he actually has some work to be doing. And I think, if it was don't watch the game and do what you want or watch the game and no cell phone, he might check not watching the game. For his college team, he won't check early but he'll make sure he's live. For the Jazz, if he decides to watch it, he will try to build up some time not only to skip commercials, but to check to see if it's worth watching.

It's simple for me, I won't watch my football team with him, but I watch the Jazz games sometimes with him or college football. If the Jazz basketball game is close, I will try to ignore him. Whenever my football team loses while I watch you with him, and he had made a comment, high superstitiously think it's his fault we lost. He'll act like he had to leave before the losing play and it was my fault. He obviously doesn't believe that, as we have no effect on the game.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I have any more suggestions on how to improve the cell phone spoilers situation.

I do like reading about family dynamics.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What is the impact of this?

Will the call letters change?

Is it still part of ROOT sports?

(btw, I saw a Fox Sports logo, instead of ROOT sports, a few regular season games ago. Which one is it, FOX or ROOT)?

Does that mean advertising is now sold by Sinclair Broadcasting? And they buy programming?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much did the Miller Group buy the station for?

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this thread title.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the impact of this?

Will the call letters change?

Is it still part of ROOT sports?

(btw, I saw a Fox Sports logo, instead of ROOT sports, a few regular season games ago. Which one is it, FOX or ROOT)?

Does that mean advertising is now sold by Sinclair Broadcasting? And they buy programming?
Bump.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard some stories about former Celtics broadcaster Johnny Most today, from Greg Papa.

* While broadcasting, he would call Rich Mahorn and Jeff Ruland as McFilthy and McNasty.

* He smoked while broadcasting. One time, he dropped his cigarette on his pants, and screamed "Aagh! I'm on fire."

* When broadcasting the Italian team for the Olympics for NBC, he didn't know the players names. So he called them "the short guy", "the tall guy", "the guy with the mustache".

* He was really into the game. When calling a Celtics-Pistons game, after a physical sequence, he said that the Celtics player "was bleeding all over the court".

Here's transcript from an interview, confirming the fire story:

+++++++++

OSZfRN2.png

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel TNT scheduled the Mavericks game against the Suns because they thought they were going to be the two worst teams and they wanted to represent that market. It’s sort of like what they do on Thursday night Football often.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So I respond, I have no idea. I liked having a channel. KJZZ used to be on regular non-cable, non-satellite. But I don’t know who gets normal television these days anyway. I like having a channel named after the Jazz. I also like knowing that it was going to be on Channel 14 most, if not all, games. That was when I used to be able to watch every game as a kid. Then, it obviously continued, even when I couldn’t watch, until whenever I posted that link.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t worry, I didn’t delete your thread. I just copied your opening post so I could have in this thread as well. He can comment in either one you want. I might not transfer all the replies from that one to this. Or I might. I just wanted this to be a placeholder.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel TNT scheduled the Mavericks game against the Suns because they thought they were going to be the two worst teams and they wanted to represent that market. It’s sort of like what they do on Thursday night Football often.

No, TNT does not schedule games between the worst teams. They've never done that before.

If they do broadcast a bad team, it will usually be at home, against a decent team.

What I mean is that TNT wouldn't schedule a game that was only because of lottery implications.

ESPN might, though. But I don't think they really would.

The problem is that those bad teams get bad ratings. Even less people tune in to see who might be the worst team.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I respond, I have no idea. I liked having a channel. KJZZ used to be on regular non-cable, non-satellite. But I don’t know who gets normal television these days anyway. I like having a channel named after the Jazz. I also like knowing that it was going to be on Channel 14 most, if not all, games. That was when I used to be able to watch every game as a kid. Then, it obviously continued, even when I couldn’t watch, until whenever I posted that link.

I believe in the early 2000s, the Clippers still had a few games every year that would be on a normal broadcast channel. Most would be on cable, except for those few.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don’t worry, I didn’t delete your thread. I just copied your opening post so I could have in this thread as well. He can comment in either one you want. I might not transfer all the replies from that one to this. Or I might. I just wanted this to be a placeholder.

Thanks. Copying is better than moving. Makes it easier to find things.