• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The small victories thread

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most I'm not expecting much once this season is done, but seeing a few glimmers through the fog, this thread is to discuss the positives along the way. What are you hoping to see positively and what is emerging as a potential beacon in the distance?

There are plenty of places on this board for your negatives. Don't think I don't have my own, just post them there and let's keep this thread for the potential upside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously Spring Training is what it is, but I have optimism for more than a few of the young guys.

Only going off of short clips I can find and box scores, Sheffield looks like he has good stuff, Kikuchi too.

Marco Gonzalez is going to be a solid #2 in all of baseball IMO. He has the stuff and the attitude, health has to follow and I don't see any reason it won't.

I like the stuff I'm hearing from Mallex Smith, even if his ceiling isn't necessarily All Star level. Wants to get to every ball that's even close.

Domingo Santana will be fun to watch and might look like a young Nelson Cruz. Whiffs, yes, but bombs, hell yes.

I'm expecting big numbers from Mitch Haniger. Dude can be a quiet leader and has tools to really be one of those sleeper stars in the league, if he isn't already.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see Seager take his contract year seriously, and show up in the best shape he's been in a few years. Don't take this in a negative way, since this is the positive thread and all, but a healthy productive Seager could net us some young talent at the deadline. I can't imagine he is with the M's after this year so netting that prospect would be a great bonus.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t necessarily for the Mariners but from the little bit of spring games I’ve seen and what my buddies told me how they looked, they have a serious amount of all star caliber minor league talent in the OF, like Marlins Osuna, Yelich and Stanton good.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn’t necessarily for the Mariners but from the little bit of spring games I’ve seen and what my buddies told me how they looked, they have a serious amount of all star caliber minor league talent in the OF, like Marlins Osuna, Yelich and Stanton good.

Also from looking at the box scores it looks like Santana is really hitting the cover off the ball.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most I'm not expecting much once this season is done, but seeing a few glimmers through the fog, this thread is to discuss the positives along the way. What are you hoping to see positively and what is emerging as a potential beacon in the distance?

There are plenty of places on this board for your negatives. Don't think I don't have my own, just post them there and let's keep this thread for the potential upside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously Spring Training is what it is, but I have optimism for more than a few of the young guys.

Only going off of short clips I can find and box scores, Sheffield looks like he has good stuff, Kikuchi too.

Marco Gonzalez is going to be a solid #2 in all of baseball IMO. He has the stuff and the attitude, health has to follow and I don't see any reason it won't.

I like the stuff I'm hearing from Mallex Smith, even if his ceiling isn't necessarily All Star level. Wants to get to every ball that's even close.

Domingo Santana will be fun to watch and might look like a young Nelson Cruz. Whiffs, yes, but bombs, hell yes.

I'm expecting big numbers from Mitch Haniger. Dude can be a quiet leader and has tools to really be one of those sleeper stars in the league, if he isn't already.

I probably mentioned this in the "should we trade Haniger" conversations, but given his relatively brief time in the majors, despite his age I could see him improving even more if he can stay healthy.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's good to see Seager take his contract year seriously, and show up in the best shape he's been in a few years. Don't take this in a negative way, since this is the positive thread and all, but a healthy productive Seager could net us some young talent at the deadline. I can't imagine he is with the M's after this year so netting that prospect would be a great bonus.

I agree on Seager. If he has a good year he is someone that we could possibly move for something if a team is willing to take on his contract.

I have to assume the weight he had added over the past couple of years could've been detrimental to his base running and defensive ability since it didn't really look like it was "good weight."

He's a guy that we really need to play well so that we can try to land something for him and move his contract.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Seager. If he has a good year he is someone that we could possibly move for something if a team is willing to take on his contract.

I have to assume the weight he had added over the past couple of years could've been detrimental to his base running and defensive ability since it didn't really look like it was "good weight."

He's a guy that we really need to play well so that we can try to land something for him and move his contract.
54436370_10212734674636191_2369745426724159488_n.jpg

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn it I knew as soon as he did it and was trying to stretch it out.....This sucks....

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings up a legitimate debate though, is Healy dead locked on moving to third or will they try Long there?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brings up a legitimate debate though, is Healy dead locked on moving to third or will they try Long there?

Long got sent down yesterday I believe. Regardless I think he needs to be the minors at least most of this year. The big league roster is what it is. Im ok leaving holes up there and not trying to rush guys

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the bright side, putting Healy at 3B opens up some ABs at 1B and DH for Bruce/Encarnacion/Vogelbach.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long got sent down yesterday I believe. Regardless I think he needs to be the minors at least most of this year. The big league roster is what it is. Im ok leaving holes up there and not trying to rush guys

Didn’t realize that so my bad. With his spring though, I’d prefer Long step in for Seager and DFA Bruce or Vogelbach, or sell pennies on the dollar for Encarnacion.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side, putting Healy at 3B opens up some ABs at 1B and DH for Bruce/Encarnacion/Vogelbach.

True, but to me, Vogelbach needs to be given a full month as an everyday 1B/DH otherwise he is a useless roster spot. He has zero versatility as someone off the bench and to me has appeared to be a guy who can get in a groove but finding a groove is stunted when you aren’t an everyday player. But I’ve also stated I am not a fan at all of younger players (which I still categorize him) being stuck in a platoon role. I think it stunts any potential growth a player has. My firm belief is that that confidence is the main issue between 90% of players players in MLB and the AAAA type players.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but to me, Vogelbach needs to be given a full month as an everyday 1B/DH otherwise he is a useless roster spot. He has zero versatility as someone off the bench and to me has appeared to be a guy who can get in a groove but finding a groove is stunted when you aren’t an everyday player. But I’ve also stated I am not a fan at all of younger players (which I still categorize him) being stuck in a platoon role. I think it stunts any potential growth a player has. My firm belief is that that confidence is the main issue between 90% of players players in MLB and the AAAA type players.

I agree with you on that. I have to imagine it takes time adjusting to MLB pitching. He's a guy who relies on his patience, and I can't imagine it's easy to make the jump from AAA pitching to MLB pitching with that approach.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season being the "throw away" that it is, I don't like Encarnacion on the roster at all. With Seager down, give Healy 3B and Vogey 1B with Bruce in LF and let them play it out. Why not? EE is just an older power guy who has no place on a team looking to see what the young guys can do. He doesn't excel at any defensive position and won't be on this team when they hope to compete. I guess the hope is he mashes early and his trade value skyrockets for a contender, but where does he play regularly to provide that opportunity without blocking someone else from having their shot?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have really tried to talk about Vogelbach but this seems like the 3rd spring in a row they have that. Either give him ABs and playing time or cut bait.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you on that. I have to imagine it takes time adjusting to MLB pitching. He's a guy who relies on his patience, and I can't imagine it's easy to make the jump from AAA pitching to MLB pitching with that approach.

Your last sentence is what every person I have talked to has said and why I dislike platooning young players. They need to not be afraid of going 0-4 then not getting 4 AB’s in 5 games total afterwards. Sure, it takes time to adjust but every ball player has their off days and if you are platooning it means you cannot have an off day during that start and leads to pressing and not having professional type AB’s. Kind of like how Vogelbach tries putting professional AB’s but his patience while being a strength isn’t a strength when he isn’t the everyday starter.

Like I’ve stated I firmly believe the mental part of baseball is down played and is the one part of baseball getting phased out with these new analytics.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your last sentence is what every person I have talked to has said and why I dislike platooning young players. They need to not be afraid of going 0-4 then not getting 4 AB’s in 5 games total afterwards. Sure, it takes time to adjust but every ball player has their off days and if you are platooning it means you cannot have an off day during that start and leads to pressing and not having professional type AB’s. Kind of like how Vogelbach tries putting professional AB’s but his patience while being a strength isn’t a strength when he isn’t the everyday starter.

Like I’ve stated I firmly believe the mental part of baseball is down played and is the one part of baseball getting phased out with these new analytics.

Definitely.

I understand the benefits of having platoon players, but as someone who never played above little league, I'd imagine it would be difficult not having regular ABs every game. Going 0-4 and not playing for another 3-4 days probably takes a much bigger mental toll on someone than going 0-4 and having the chance the next day to make up for it.

I know we disagree on the value of analytics, but you're completely right regarding analytics disregarding the mental part of baseball. Even if I had all the physical talent in the world, I'd never be able to be a professional player. I'd lose my mind if I went into a slump and I'd try to adjust everything to the point where it could make things worse.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely.

I understand the benefits of having platoon players, but as someone who never played above little league, I'd imagine it would be difficult not having regular ABs every game. Going 0-4 and not playing for another 3-4 days probably takes a much bigger mental toll on someone than going 0-4 and having the chance the next day to make up for it.

I know we disagree on the value of analytics, but you're completely right regarding analytics disregarding the mental part of baseball. Even if I had all the physical talent in the world, I'd never be able to be a professional player. I'd lose my mind if I went into a slump and I'd try to adjust everything to the point where it could make things worse.

I don’t hate analytics in totality I just hate this launch angle stuff. To combat the shift you are suppose to try to hit a HR? Sure having a power hitter get a single is a temporary win for the defense but they is just as likely a chance he scores if he just gets on base as there is hitting a HR. To me, that has to be taxing mentally continuing to fail to beat the shift because numbers say you are a coward for laying down a bunt.