• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season so far

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is just too much inconsistency in the lineup to sustain an offense. You can't expect to get into a bullpen if the starter goes 6 innings with 3 baserunners.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice series win against the Cubs. The Reds looked like they were hung over from celebrating last night.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with his assessment of the Reds potential trade value. Nearly everyone this club has acquired the last couple years are players that their former team didn't want or thought they weren't worth the cost of an arbitration salary. The Reds were willing to over pay because they obviously didn't have better internal options. They've had a couple guys produce, but none have any real trade value and that includes Scooter.

There will be a big chunk of payroll jettisoned at the end of the season. The farm is still bare, so I'd expect more of the same next year.

This team only has a few good looking prospects.... and by saying a few I may be over stating their depth.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the pitching options in the minors are Sims, perhaps, and Santillan. Maybe Herget. The Sanmartin kid is pretty good at Daytona.

I wasn't convinced they ought to make a run at Jose Iglesias, but now, I think maybe they should. Leaving Senzel in the OF makes good sense.

Trammell appears to be upgrading his OB numbers.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 and 2, road trip, against 2 good teams. Not to bad.... The hitting looks like it might be coming around.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Iglesias has done a fantastic job. But he will be 30 years old before next ST.... and the market for players in that age range has really depreciated. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed for another year with an option. Wouldn't think it'd be too pricey.

Whether it's an everyday SS or the role Iglesias was originally signed for there's an opening next season. How the club feels about Jose Peraza plays a role there. Dietrich is under team control through next season, so I suspect they love the long ball enough to keep him. He's still only has 27 hits with 14 of them being homer runs. Home run or bust poster child.

Overall the team has started to hit. Now they need the pitching to hold up. They have stayed close enough to contention that a hot streak could make mid summer a little more interesting.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Iglesias has done a fantastic job. But he will be 30 years old before next ST.... and the market for players in that age range has really depreciated. I wouldn't mind seeing him signed for another year with an option. Wouldn't think it'd be too pricey.

Whether it's an everyday SS or the role Iglesias was originally signed for there's an opening next season. How the club feels about Jose Peraza plays a role there. Dietrich is under team control through next season, so I suspect they love the long ball enough to keep him. He's still only has 27 hits with 14 of them being homer runs. Home run or bust poster child.

Overall the team has started to hit. Now they need the pitching to hold up. They have stayed close enough to contention that a hot streak could make mid summer a little more interesting.
I'd agree that anything over 2 years for Iglesias is excessive but until they come to a conclusion on Senzel's role, they need that veteran infield. Peraza needs to do more than he's done to make up for the fact that they are doing their best to at least get him some at-bats.

Reds offense has picked up and will keep doing that but the summer is brutal on fly balls to the Sun Deck.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2017 Scooter knocked Peraza out of an everyday second base job. This year it's Dietrich and Iglesias. Iglesias is a true SS and both Scooter and Dietrich being LHB's pounding home runs moved Peraza to the back burner. In 2018 Peraza had SS to himself and had a pretty good season. For whatever reason Peraza has struggled when he splits time/ AB's at multiple positions. Doesn't appear to be a guy that embraces it and or will strive in the utility role.

Dietrich up to 30 hits with 17 being home runs. I hope he keeps it up. If he got 100 hits for the season it'd be 56 home runs. I don't know which would come first.... the 100 hits or him burning a hole in a urine sample bottle. Either way I don't think he's hitting 50 home runs. The 17 home runs are a career high already.

If Senzel hits the way he's been projected it's a huge plus getting offensive production from CF. Offensive minded 2nd basemen have become more prevalent and easier to come by. Taylor Trammel has the speed and athleticism to play CF, but he's below average arm strength. We may see Senzel in CF and Trammel play LF in a couple years. Either way Senzel gives the luxury of a guy that can play both infield and OF if needed.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure, the Reds won't be jettisoning Peraza in favor of any of these guys, unless they put together some kind of coup package that signs some, finds a trade partner for others and just comes up with magic.

Dietrich has found a groove and the league will adjust.
Iglesias is a constant at SS and worth keeping in the short run.
Who knows what this roster will look like on Dec. 10.