• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The season has started

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You take take records 11 games in with a grain of salt. Reds are on pace for 30 wins, and Mets are on a 147 pace, and Pirates are leading the NLC...I think all of those will come back toward the norm over the season.

Every game counts, though. Odd, but it seems harder to dig out of an early season W/L hole than to blow a big early lead. Maybe different mindsets are in play...believing in your team after winning a bunch is much easier than after losing a bunch.

This isn't rocket science, nor is rocket science going to save the Reds.

Reactionary planning is a misnomer:it's usually lack of original planning. Senzel is suddenly playing 3b again in AAA. Go figure-Suarez is the latest Red to celibrate a LT contract with an immediate injury. I expect Senzel up soon- as soon as his arb/fa clock sets back. How much more AAA practice at 3b does a guy that played there 90% of his pro career need ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the 1990 W2W team proved that you can indeed win a pennant with a fast start IF you believe the fast start was the product of talent more than of good fortune. Once you believe you can win, guys like Billy Hatcher and Jack Armstrong and Joe Oliver suddenly get consideration for the All Star team.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romano, Mahle, Reed for some unknown reason to me and Bailey are scheduled in this series. I think we have a chance to win 2. And 1 sure lose with Reed. It's the offense that concerns me. But hell if 3 guys I've never heard of, can do it for the Phillies surly the Reds can catch a break to.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything can happen in the short term.

Long term, in baseball more than any other sport (because the season is the longest of any sport), regular season finishes are, IMO, more predictable...then, in post season, short term odds often prevail again...

As long as a team can PITCH consistently well, not play terrible D, and hit a little, they'll usually prevail in the long season. It's why the Cubs could take a break half of every week, playing around .500 until Labor Day and still breeze into the playoffs. Ditto the Nats, and as long as Kershaw and a couple Dodgers pitchers hold up, you might include the Dodgers in that mix. It's the same in the AL this year- Astros and Indians, with the Yankees and Red Sox just hoping to score enough in the thinnest pitching division in MLB, to get to post season.

The rest are wildcard contenders at best. There are a lot of pretenders in MLB right now, including our Reds. They may have a better chance of playing home games in Montreal in 2020 than being in post season as the Reds.

This is what, the 4th or 5th year of this "rebuild" ? From my seat, the team got worse every year. Maybe Reds single-A is loaded, but I'm unimpressed with what little I've seen so far at the big club, and fans don't show up very well in Cincinnati when the team is this bad.

MLB talking heads don't believe it, but it isn't the pace of play keeping fans away...it's the level of play.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weiss pitched in single-A last year. First 2 MLB hitters he faces looked like Mark McGwire hit those balls.

Think he's ready ?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rainey couldn't hit the Earth with rain.

I'm sick of hearing how great these guys arms are.

Maybe they'll move MLS to GABP.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did we just witness the most inept player personnel strategy move in history?
Here is a pro tip: The big leagues is not Baseball Training Camp 101.
Big league ballplayers will pound your skanky ass all the way back to Seoul.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy will try to sell you a low mileage Dodge Dart.

"In a situation after a three-inning start in the first game in Philly and a long [12-inning] game yesterday, I needed the young guys to be able to come in and pitch today," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "We knew that, coming in, unless Sal could go deep in the game, it was inevitable that those kids were going to pitch. That's not a bad thing. They're part of a big league bullpen and will have to pitch. Unfortunately, they really struggled to throw it over."

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zack Weiss was the closer in AA Pensacola in 2015 with 25 saves in 27 opps and was on the radar to make the club in 2016. His 2016 season ended early with TJ surgery. He started 2017 in A+ Daytona and finished in AA Pensacola. Overall the guy has pitched well after rookie ball with a TJ detour. Nonetheless the bleachers didn't know the difference, but I think he'll pitch better given the chance. When your ERA is infinity it can only get better...... maybe?

Tanner Rainey doesn't have any history that suggest he was even remotely ready to throw strikes at the MLB level. Whomever it is in the farm system evaluating his readiness needs to be evaluated himself.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was it 12 walks 3 errors and another that should have been called. This in no way is what I call a MLB game. I actually think the Cardinals felt sorry for the Reds when they were hitting in that ninth inning.

To put it in a nut shell, the Reds were pathetic.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, Weiss will have that inglorious moment etched on the pages of Reds record books.
The problem was pretty easy to identify. Price already sees that the bullpen is no better than it ever was and any attempts to stay close in a 1-run game aren't going to matter anyway. The other issue is that they are depending on Lorenzen and Hernandez to somehow bring a bag of magic rosin with them. Lorenzen is league average at best. Hernandez is a little better than that.
Meanwhile, Price is clueless about Garrett.
When Cody Reed looks better than anybody else you throw out there, it's sad.
The rebuild is collapsing with a bad architect to blame for it.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team hasn't been rebuilding through trade anymore than having a Saturday yard sale constitutes remodeling. Swapping short term service control players for less talented cheaper players doesn't make any team more competitive. It's just cheaper, and well, just cheaper.

The losing that followed has provided some future pieces, but I only see about half of the current roster as worth salvaging. This is going to be like breaking glass and picking out the best pieces to make a mosaic roster. I suggest they wear gloves. Some of these pieces have jagged edges.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is one of those: Is Suarez better/worse/the same as Player A B or F?
The answer is, in the Boston or New York Yankees lineup, yeah ... he turns them into a winner.
With the Reds, it depends on the other 7 or 8 guys. He would be hard to replace for that salary and still upgrade the numbers, but the Reds are the sort of team who gets to a point where they swap him for more Zach Weiss and Alex Blandino prospects ... then they tell us what a great farm system we have. As if I give a fuck about the Pensacola Penguins.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is often fun to evaluate a team in 18-game increments.
2-16 would be one of those.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Finnigan is going tonight. I didn't know he go through a rehab assignment. Hope he is ready.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Finnigan is going tonight. I didn't know he go through a rehab assignment. Hope he is ready.
His rehab made him fully qualified to join the rotation.

Walked 5 guys in 5 innings.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have run out of comments.
Price looks lost.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's becoming increasingly difficult to have faith in the people making the decisions for this club.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm not keeping up on Reds transactions, But where did Floro come from? secondly I thought 1982 was bad. This is just a nightmare. I believe the apathy of the front office has caught up with them.

I think we are going to start seeing some changes real soon. Price 1st, but I think the real blame starts at the top.