• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks' Guide to Losing

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a joke that was
100% PR move.

You have to cater to your audience though and most Seattlelites will eat that shit up like Kobayashi

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how many comp picks will we get from all that? hoping we can keep sheldon richardson and mcdougald.

As Seattle's cap space is so low (estimated at $16 million before draft and injury reserves) I can't see them even attempting to re-sign either of them unless they rework deals. I was gonna wait til the offseason, but it's coming up already so here's something I have come up with (in my very own amateur way).

Cliff Avril - Avril could choose to just retire, which may be what's best for him. If he does, Seattle's cap hit reduces by $7.5 million. The cost savings would be the same if he is cut. His contract was constructed in such a way that it was very possible the last year was gonna be renegotiated anyway. Optimum Savings: $7.5 million

Kam Chancellor - Another injury that people have speculated that his career is at stake. If Kam decides to retire, I can't see Seattle trying to get his signing bonus back - they just don't seem to want to stick it to their players that much (to be fair, most teams wouldn't when the retirement is injury related). So, Kam's retirement would save $2.3 million. Optimum Savings: $2.3 million

Richard Sherman - Though Sherman's injury is severe, it shouldn't be anything career threatening to him. His trade/cut savings are a huge $11 million, though I am not sure I see either of those happening. The Hawks could save by restructuring his deal as well - something like 3 more years, $16 million more dollars, while converting next year's salary to signing bonus. Numbers are just estimates - but his cap could look like this moving forward:

2018 - Salary $1 million Bonuses $5.9 million Dead $13.2 million Cap $6.9 million (saving $6.3 million)
2019 - Salary $4 million Bonuses $2.5 million Dead $7.5 million Cap $6.2 million
2020 - Salary $5 million Bonuses $2.5 million Dead $5.0 million Cap $7.2 million
2021 - Salary $6 million Bonuses $2.5 million Dead $2.5 million Cap $8.2 million

All speculation - and who knows what either side would think of - but hey, I'm having fun. Optimum Savings: $11 million

Earl Thomas - Earl hasn't been severely injured this season - but he has missed 7 games the last 2 seasons, so his durability may be breaking down. He's another guy coming into the last year of his deal - and could be asked to help create cap space to fill other places. His trade/cut savings are $8.5 million. Though, personally I think they would look to extend him and just restructure this coming season's salary. 4 years, $23 million with $8.5 million salary converted to signing bonus ($10.5 million total signing bonus).

2018- Salary $1 million Bonuses $4.4 million Dead $10.4 million Cap $5.4 million (saving $5 million)
2019- Salary $4 million Bonuses $2 million Dead $8 million Cap $6 million
2020- Salary $5 million Bonuses $2 million Dead $6 million Cap $7 million
2021- Salary $6 million Bonuses $2 million Dead $4 million Cap $8 million
2022- Salary $7 million Bonuses $2 million Dead $2 million Cap $9 million

Yes, this is simplified - but I don't have to do the negotiations. Optimum Savings: $8.5 million

K.J. Wright - Another veteran entering his final year. I'd give him a similar extension like Sherman:

2018 - Salary $1 million Bonuses $2.8 million Dead $8.2 million Cap $3.8 million (saving $3.8 million)
2019 - Salary $4 million Bonuses $1.8 million Dead $5.4 million Cap $5.6 million
2020 - Salary $5 million Bonuses $1.8 million Dead $3.6 million Cap $6.6 million
2021 - Salary $6 million Bonuses $1.8 million Dead $1.8 million Cap $7.6 million

Optimum Savings: $7.2 million

Jeremy Lane - Lane has been the odd man out this season. He was traded, before that fell through - and despite being healthy - he's continued to be pushed down the depth chart on a defensive backfield behind Griffin, Coleman, Maxwell and Thorpe - let alone when Shead and Sherman return to the roster. He can opt out of his contract on his own this offseason, which would save Seattle $4.75. Cutting or trading him this offseason gives Seattle the same savings. Optimum Savings: $4.75 million

Michael Bennett - If Seattle has had enough of Bennett's issues (as fans see them) and decide to part ways with him - then their savings are $3 million. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a guy as good as Bennett for $3 million - and so I think they'll stick with him at least for one more season and look to part ways in 2019, when his savings are over $5 million (and he has a potential out of his own). Optimum Savings: $3.025 million

Bobby Wagner - Wagner has a potential out in his contract for this season. I hope he doesn't use it - but if he does, Seattle would save $8 million against the cap for next year. They could also negotiate an extension to keep him in Seattle longer as well, even with 2 years left on his deal. Maybe something like 3 more years, $30 million more in salary with $25 million in salary bonus.

2018- Salary $1 million Bonuses $6.6 million Dead $28.2 million Cap $7.6 million (saving $6 million)
2019- Salary $5 million Bonuses $6.6 million Dead $21.6 million Cap $11.6 million
2020- Salary $10 million Bonuses $5 million Dead $15 million Cap $15 million
2021- Salary $10 million Bonuses $5 million Dead $10 million Cap $15 million
2022- Salary $10 million Bonuses $5 million Dead $5 million Cap $15 million

Optimum Savings: $8 million

Overall, if Seattle just parts ways in one way or another from these older defensive players, they could save $52.275 million off their salary cap, but their entire defense would be gutted even worse than it is right now. If they renegotiate with those I speculated and part with the rest the number is $38.675 million. My guess is that it's somewhere in between.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think avril and lane are likely gone, hard to see the rest of them leaving unless chancellor retires.

not sure how we keep richardson, they might be content swapping that 2nd rounder we gave up for him with a late 3rd comp pick?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when do the coaches have to bear responsibility? ever? never?

if your QB is making a lot of bad decisions, at some point the coaching is partially responsible.

the lack of discipline isnt just on defense, its all over the place. ifedi and graham making mistakes and looking lazy as hell, wilson making consistently stupid decisions. this isnt the first game he has made terrible decisions, its been all year long.

im not willing to chalk that up to "more throws, more mistakes", he is making terrible mistakes that a vet QB should NOT be making.
Coaches bear responsibility on everything.
RW presently does not have the power run game we are used to. A greater emphasis is placed on the pass game. The D knows this. It seems logical to me that an increased demand on the pass game should lead to more pass mistakes. It is not by choice that we pass more.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of players will be gone because the Seahawks are tight for cap space.

J. Graham
S. Richardson
L. Joeckel
B. McDougald
L. Wilson
O. Aboushi
M. Tobin
P. Richardson
E. Lacy
T. Rawls
B. Walsh
M. Wilhoite
M. Smith

All these players are going to be free agents, some suck so no big deal, others will be missed. Going to be a lot different roster next year.

The only guys I want the Hawks to keep are Richardson (x2), Joeckel, McDougald... Plus, I'd like us to send Bennett packing too, We'd save a million plus releasing him...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michael Bennett - If Seattle has had enough of Bennett's issues (as fans see them) and decide to part ways with him - then their savings are $3 million. Unfortunately, I don't think you can get a guy as good as Bennett for $3 million - and so I think they'll stick with him at least for one more season and look to part ways in 2019, when his savings are over $5 million (and he has a potential out of his own). Optimum Savings: $3.025 million

Not just 3.025 million but he's slated to get 19 million... I feel like we could find someone who would be better now and long term for 19 million...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just 3.025 million but he's slated to get 19 million... I feel like we could find someone who would be better now and long term for 19 million...

Next year he’s a 7 million cap hit. Cut or trade him, he’s still over a5 million cap hit. Won’t it make more sense to wait another year? Then the dead money goes down. For 2 million in savings, think it would be wiser to keep him another season.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of players will be gone because the Seahawks are tight for cap space.

J. Graham
S. Richardson
L. Joeckel
B. McDougald
L. Wilson
O. Aboushi
M. Tobin
P. Richardson
E. Lacy
T. Rawls
B. Walsh
M. Wilhoite
M. Smith

All these players are going to be free agents, some suck so no big deal, others will be missed. Going to be a lot different roster next year.

Yep look at those names like i said etc etc etc. There will be players leaving that will upset a lot of people. I think they work on keeping the "younger" guys but let those 28+ walk

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep look at those names like i said etc etc etc. There will be players leaving that will upset a lot of people. I think they work on keeping the "younger" guys but let those 28+ walk
Sure, Seahawks need to transition into the next crop of players to lead the Seahawks to another Super Bowl championship. Hopefully that transition isn’t to painful. Course the crying moaning and groaning negative Nancy’s who think ever season should be a Super Bowl year will do their best to make it painful.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guys I want the Hawks to keep are Richardson (x2), Joeckel, McDougald... Plus, I'd like us to send Bennett packing too, We'd save a million plus releasing him...

I like your choices. Also would like to add P. Rich on staying. RW has very good chemistry with his WR's and with JG likely gone, it would be nice to keep the core of WR's intact.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapter 2:

When the division is on the line, WHY BOTHER TRYING?

Seriously, what the hell was that? How can you go up against some rival in your division and NOT want to show up?

Last time I remember a display like that, we had Rick Mirer at quarterback.

RICK

FUCKING

MIRER!!

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moderator can you please delete my post for it is in the wrong thread. I copied and pasted it to the right thread

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fucking idiots.

Wilson has to force plays because they can't run and can't pass protect.

Most of those long passes are after scrambles.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if your QB is making a lot of bad decisions, at some point the coaching is partially responsible.

the lack of discipline isnt just on defense, its all over the place. ifedi and graham making mistakes and looking lazy as hell, wilson making consistently stupid decisions. this isnt the first game he has made terrible decisions, its been all year long.

im not willing to chalk that up to "more throws, more mistakes", he is making terrible mistakes that a vet QB should NOT be making.

Complete bullshit and an ignorant post.

Wilson has no run game and no pass protection.

And Jimmy Graham has chocked more than a $10 hooker.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's Bennett's mindset, always has been. Dude is a douche in person also, don't let his phony on camera ass fool you.

The Bennett brothers are two of the most self-absorbed, douchebag pieces of trash that this league has ever produced.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol... Wilson is the only reason that the Seahawks aren't staring down the barrel of a top 5 pick.

Trust me, as a Bears fan. I know what shitty offense looks like. Wilson has been a damn messiah this year, and you can only lean on that for so long. It finally gave way last week, it was inevitable.

As a guy, I find Wilson to be a cringe-worthy corn ball, but god damn... dude deserves a helluva ovation for how he played this year.

If he kept going the way he was, and led the team to the playoffs. He was MVP in my book, hands down. With the injuries they've accumulated on defense, there's nothing going on with that team outside of him.