• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The rule of 3

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Throughout the sharks history, when they score 3 they win in the PO's. I think in all the nabby years since 06-07, they only lost a total of 1 game when they scored at least 3. That's a total of 44 games. If they scored 3, they were 15-1 (16-1 if you include this year). That's probably the best winning % when scoring 3 goals in the league, which means that it's not the goalie's fault. That also means they scored 2 or fewer in 28 of 44 games (64%).

Many people blamed nabby for the PO losses, but that trend seems to continue with niemi too, and would likely be true no matter who is in net.

Here are the % of 3+ goal games for the past several champions:
Chicago in 2010: 22 games, 15 games with 3+ goals = 68%
Pitt in 2009: 24 games, 17 games with 3+ goals = 71%
Det in 2008: 22 games, 15 games with 3+ goal = 68%
Ana in 2007: 21 games, 12 games with 3+ goals = 57%
Car in 2006: 25 games, 15 games with 3+ goals = 60%
Tam in 2004: 23 games, 14 games with 3+ goals = 61%
NJ in 2003: 24 games, 14 games with 3+ goals = 58%
Det in 2002: 23 games, 14 games with 3+ goals = 61%

I'm sure I could go on for a while...

the sharks since 06-07 are at 36%.

On top of that: here are their PP ranks throughout the playoffs since the lockout:
2005-6: 10th out of 16 (15% = 11 of 72)
2006-7: 14th out of 16 (7% = 4 of 57)
2007-8: 12th out of 16 (12% = 8 of 56)
2008-9: 8th out of 16 (16% = 4 of 24)
2009-10: 9th out of 16 (19% = 14 of 71)
2010-11: 16th out of 16 so far (0% = 0 for 7).

That's a total of 41 of 287 = 14.3%. Based on this year's regular season, that would have been good for 28th.

Interestingly, the PO before Jumbo arrived (2003-4), the sharks ranked 7th in PP, their best ranking.

Over this period, they sharks have had a variety of top Dmen including campbell, boyle, ehrhoff, Blake and others who captain the PP. 3 of those 4 have already won a cup (and one may soon), so it's not them.

So what does all this mean?

Well, who plays the vast majority of the PP time over that period and 'captains' the PP? Who absorbs the vast majority of the salary? Who MUST be counted on to provide consistent scoring but has regularly failed by being so up and down?

There are only 2 common denominators. Only 2 players that have been the same over the least 6 years. Only 2 guys with well-earned reputations for disappearing in the PO's and playing without fire. Only 2 guys...

If the sharks want a cup, they must jettison Jumbo and Patty.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its only one game, buddy. Yes I know Patty and Joe have done next to nothing in these first 2 games, but you can't throw in the Towel yet. The whole entire team played like SHIT except for Vlasic and maybe Nitty "just cuz he didn't play", but the Sharks will re-group.

But I will say, that it would have been nice to see them show some hatered or anger in their voices and facial expression when shown on tv for interviews. I wanted to see some emotion of ANGER!

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the Sharks score a lot, they have a good record.....and when they don't score a lot they have a bad record.

:D

On a serious note, Jumbo is too 1-dimensional on the PP. Teams just pressure him right away and goalies know he's not going to shoot the puck. Also, Marleau used to never be known as a choker until Thornton came along. He was actually quite clutch before Jumbo came.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, and also, this just in: you win when you score more than your opponent!

Who knew?! LOL. :p

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jettison a guy who's among the active career leaders in both goals and GWG's in the PO's...sounds like a solid strategy...

On the other hand, we wouldn't have to wonder how many goals the Sharks would score in the PO's if they got rid of Thornton and Marleau since they wouldn't be in them.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If dougie lost them both and replaced them with nobody, then yes, the sharks would be out of the PO's, but they have a lot of value and there are at least 14 other teams that would die to have them. So, I think it's time IF they choke again (not saying they will, but I have yet to see anything from those two that seems to hint that they will elevate their game in the PO's enough to prove anything. They were null-factors in game one and worse in game 2. The inconsistency is inexcusable.

As for patty, when he's going, he's great. He had an awful series against colorado, then a respectable series vs. detroit, then a great series vs chicago where he was the only good player on the team. However, consistency sure isnt his thing and in the last 5 years, he has just 30 points in 46 games with a nice -11. That sure doesnt win a lot cups. Of course, Jumbo is equally inconsistent and bad.

And it's not so simple as just scoring more than the other team. This team doesnt score, period. Their PP stinks to high heaven in the PO's, and their best players are at their worst in postseason. Their reputation is league-wide and incredibly well deserved. They belong on a team like edmonton that would be satisfied with the PO appearance. I wouldnt rather miss the PO's then watch those two play so inconsistently, but I'm just not so sure those are the only two options.

Also, one game? poster must be new to the sharks. How we can claim it's one game is beyond me. Sure they may well win this series (I would still bet they do) but they will be destroyed by any of chicago, vancouver, or anaheim is that matchup comes up. Any team with proven winners and whose best players actually elevate their game in the PO's has and will destroy the sharks. Pavs, clowe and couture can only carry a team so far.

God knows I hope I'm wrong, but these first two games against the kings who are by far the worst team, without thier #1 center and heart and soul, and then without their #2 center as well, and the sharks are flat out lucky not to be down 2-0 at home! That is completely pathetic.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They would have to replace them with players of the same level and that would be next to impossible to do. We're talking about bringing in an Iginla/Richards combo and even then I doubt it would make much of a difference in the team's overall PO preformance.

The Sharks problem is IMO they have too many players with too many deficiencies in their games to be consistant against the better teams in the league. When aquiring players Dougie also puts too much emphsis on charicter over skill. Then when he does go for skill he butchers it by getting someone like Heatley.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think it's impossible getting someone of high caliber for them. Boyle is a perfect example of the kind of player they can acquire. Weber could be acquired potentially. Brad richards is a proven PO performer and would make a perfectly fine replacement for jumbo. The options are out there if dougie had the balls to try it, but it seems that it's gunna be the jumbo-patty show for the next 3+ years, so I suppose there is no reason to expect otherwise no matter what happens.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still dont get the point of this rant, i mean if they were on the brink of getting swept or out of the playoffs, it would make sense

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I still dont get the point of this rant, i mean if they were on the brink of getting swept or out of the playoffs, it would make sense

I could wait a few weeks, but what I saw in those two games at HP is exactly what I have seen for 6+ years from those guys. The PP is totally stagnant with Joe trying to force things and noone moving. the endemic problems that they have and had had for 6 years in the PO's are still there in full force and it's so painfully clear and annoying that I'm boiling over. Even in the olympics, those two were horrible in the big games. Every year, I expect something different, but it's the same. They may take over a game or two and perform, but the lackluster effort and inconsistency is terribad.

I'm just tired of hoping and trying to believe in those two. God knows, I hope they suddenly change and start playing consistently this year, but what would make it suddenly click after so long?

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe you can all finally agree that Doug Wilson is fucking clueless and needs to stop ruining the team (and go ruin another one for a change) and join me in cheering and partying like it's 1999 the day he's fired?

(and stop blaming the players who have to put up with playing with/covering for useless overpaid garbage teammates?)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think it's impossible getting someone of high caliber for them. Boyle is a perfect example of the kind of player they can acquire. Weber could be acquired potentially. Brad richards is a proven PO performer and would make a perfectly fine replacement for jumbo. The options are out there if dougie had the balls to try it, but it seems that it's gunna be the jumbo-patty show for the next 3+ years, so I suppose there is no reason to expect otherwise no matter what happens.

No way in hell either of those two could be traded for Weber or anyone close to that level. With their salaries you'd be lucky to get someone the calibre of Patrick Sharp plus a high pick. Most likely it would be a salary dump player and a high pick and prospect. Richards is a UFA so it's an automatic that there's no chance he'd end up in San Jose. With the surrounding group of forwards on the Sharks I highly doubt he'd be any more effective than either Marleau or Thornton.

Marleau and Thornton are only a small part of the reason the team has failed in PO's past but unlike many on the team they have the ability, and have shown the potential, to be part of the solution.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been saying that for years about dumbo, he can't wheel and deal.

Stackem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Premature post-jaculation... This whole thread is offseason material...

We're still a couple weeks away from the whole doug sucks, no he doesn't, yes he does dude, screw you, you know crap about crap, joe needs to go, replace him with who, how about the coach, what about him, its his fault replace him, but we already tried that, then its patty's fault, what about heatly, heatly sucks worse then patty and joe, but we need a legit sniper, why, cause we never had one, well we got one, howd that pan out, screw you again, screw you harder, blow the team up, blow a goat, you don't know what you're talking about...

:fencing:

ahhhh good times...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We're still a couple weeks away from the whole doug sucks, no he doesn't, yes he does dude, screw you, you know crap about crap, joe needs to go, replace him with who, how about the coach, what about him, its his fault replace him, but we already tried that, then its patty's fault, what about heatly, heatly sucks worse then patty and joe, but we need a legit sniper, why, cause we never had one, well we got one, howd that pan out, screw you again, screw you harder, blow the team up, blow a goat, you don't know what you're talking about...

ahhhh good times...

It's never a bad time for a "Heatley sucks" post...:frusty:

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Heatley sucks! :deadhorse:

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ahhhh good times...

Haha. Yeah let's wait till the offseason to talk about this. We do it every year so this year shouldn't be any different.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe you can all finally agree that Doug Wilson is fucking clueless and needs to stop ruining the team (and go ruin another one for a change) and join me in cheering and partying like it's 1999 the day he's fired?

(and stop blaming the players who have to put up with playing with/covering for useless overpaid garbage teammates?)

Normally I would disagree here - I would argue that he did an excellent job locating talent and got a proper coach here that has kept our regular season positions in the 100s...

I am, however, interested to see what happens in Tampa Bay... There is a team that was rudderless, gets a new GM and now look where they are. I am willing to challenge my convictions for sure.