• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Refs

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a Cowboy fan start this thread? What is the point? Are you gloating over the fact that the ref's possibly impacted the outcome of the game? That is just lame.

There is no question the Lions had other chances to make plays and win the game. When you have a 13 point lead late in the 3rd, you have to close the game out.

The interesting thing is the timing of the calls that went against Detroit. It seemed like everything was going against them when the Cowboys needed it most. I have never seen a PI flag thrown then announced by the head official and then reversed. I am not a conspiracy guy and I have a hard time believing these games are fixed. I am just really baffled by the series of events and I can't stand when the refs find a way to make the game about them.

BTW- I had no betting or emotional interest in the outcome of this game.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahum, you are talking about TWO choke tackles, and one grab around shoulder pads and pull back holding. They occurred when:

1) Dallas 4th down; Suh is being held when he makes the move to go inside. Due to this hold, Romo has the space and time to step up into his throw without anybody in his face (at a minimum). Result of the non-call: Dallas 1st down.

2) Choke tackle holding by the RT (and a Witten false start), should have negated the Detroit defensive holding on the play; a holding call that while correct, has rarely if ever been called this season (and I have seen quite a few plays where McCoy and Sproles got tackled in similar situations without flags being thrown). That was on a 3rd down.

3) Choke tackle by the LT (and throw down holding by the LG/C) on the TD pass.

I am rewatching the game right now. And I have seen numerous missed holds -- against BOTH teams. The Lions got away with some missed holding calls on the TD drive after the roughing the punter call. Were those missed calls any more important or less important than the missed holding calls on Dallas' last drive? The answer is no. Both drives led to TD's.

The whole point I am making is there are missed holding calls all the time, in every NFL game. The fact that you guys want to cherry pick a couple calls on one particular drive and say that was the difference in the game is pretty ridiculous. It's nothing but sour grapes.

The Hitchens PI was questionable. In real time, I thought it was face guarding. After watching the replay it looks like the Lions TE initiates the contact by sticking his hand in HItchens face mask. Hitchens than made the contact with Pettigrew's shoulder. Hitchens absolutely did not run through the receiver, not until the ball had already hit him in the back. There is the issue of the ref who threw the flag being very far away from the play, and the refs in the area with the better view saw no reason to throw the flag. I'm not saying the flag should have been picked up, but one can certainly make the argument that it should have never been flagged in the first place.

Dallas won, Detroit lost.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would a Cowboy fan start this thread? What is the point? Are you gloating over the fact that the ref's possibly impacted the outcome of the game? That is just lame.

I am wondering as much. And what would bigdaddy be saying in this forum had it been a Lion LB and a Dallas TE on that play, and the Lions win the game? Would he be conceding that the Cowboys should have played better and that one key penalty doesn't decide a game? I highly doubt it.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The procedure of breaking up existing teams of refs and going with highly rated guys who may not have worked together before is dumb. They are underestimating the teamwork aspect of the job. They should elevate the best teams of refs and if there is a glaring weakness with one or 2 officials replace them

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The procedure of breaking up existing teams of refs and going with highly rated guys who may not have worked together before is dumb. They are underestimating the teamwork aspect of the job. They should elevate the best teams of refs and if there is a glaring weakness with one or 2 officials replace them.

Yes, and this really makes the NFL one of the culprits here. Bad decision and predictably bad PR problem because of it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The procedure of breaking up existing teams of refs and going with highly rated guys who may not have worked together before is dumb. They are underestimating the teamwork aspect of the job. They should elevate the best teams of refs and if there is a glaring weakness with one or 2 officials replace them

yes, that probably would have gotten rid of that numbnutz that threw the flag in the first place yesterday before the more competent ref overturned it:rollseyes:

All kidding aside, I think that would be a much better idea.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, that probably would have gotten rid of that numbnutz that threw the flag in the first place yesterday before the more competent ref overturned it:rollseyes:

All kidding aside, I think that would be a much better idea.

Rangers/Isles at the Garden next Tuesday. First time in a while both teams are playing well. Lookin forward to it

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers/Isles at the Garden next Tuesday. First time in a while both teams are playing well. Lookin forward to it

Islanders are a much different team this year, but the friggin Rangers have been on fire lately.