• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL The Red Sox Conundrum: Trade Mookie Betts or sign him to a mega deal?

Trade Mookie Betts or sign him to a mega deal?

• Trade him for a winfdfall of prospects and restock the farm.

• Sign him to a monster deal.

• Boston Baked...Potato Salad?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vote and discuss

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@cerealboi

what does Dombo do?

I'd shop him quietly and see what type of return you're looking at. He'll likely only be on this other team for a year, so the return may not be overwhelming. If Dumbo doesn't like the offers, offer him 340 for 12 years or something like that.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd shop him quietly and see what type of return you're looking at. He'll likely only be on this other team for a year, so the return may not be overwhelming. If Dumbo doesn't like the offers, offer him 340 for 12 years or something like that.
This, end thread.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very rarely do long-term mega-deals work out in baseball. If you are an analytics person, you would probably say trade him.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very rarely do long-term mega-deals work out in baseball. If you are an analytics person, you would probably say trade him.
I typically agree, but mookie is a franchise player if there ever was one. It may not be pretty as he hits mid to late 30s, but the next 5-6 years should be nice. Phillies kinda set the long term market with Harper.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I typically agree, but mookie is a franchise player if there ever was one. It may not be pretty as he hits mid to late 30s, but the next 5-6 years should be nice. Phillies kinda set the long term market with Harper.

yeah, a lot of times, teams will do those long term deals knowing they'll get a lot of value in the first half and then just pay the piper on the last half. Mookie is a special player so it will be interesting to see how long he can stay at a high level.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston has the financial resources to give themselves the option of signing him- but there’s an incredible risk in signing a guy like this to a guaranteed contract that is market value.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^ This

But this is not the Dombrowski way ... they should have never got Sale ... that is going to be your Cabrera for years. The only difference is I like Cabrera and Betts.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer to keep him as a Red Sox fan.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the return will be as big as Red Sox fans think.

Sign him. With the money he’s after, there’s only a handful of teams that can swing it.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and that set the mark of what Mookie would command so would the Red Sox be wise to actually do that? I don't think so, especially considering the inconsistency of there SP and the fact that Sale can't stay healthy and he has already hindered what the Red Sox can do with his re-signed contract

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that set the mark of what Mookie would command so would the Red Sox be wise to actually do that? I don't think so, especially considering the inconsistency of there SP and the fact that Sale can't stay healthy and he has already hindered what the Red Sox can do with his re-signed contract

They can definitely afford mookie long term. In the next few years dead weight panda, Castillo, and pedroia will be coming off the books. Porcello is all but gone. That frees up more than 60 mill per. They might have to scrimp on pitching, but mookie is the face of the franchise type player.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can definitely afford mookie long term. In the next few years dead weight panda, Castillo, and pedroia will be coming off the books. Porcello is all but gone. That frees up more than 60 mill per. They might have to scrimp on pitching, but mookie is the face of the franchise type player.

well they need pitching, which is evident... But yes Mookie is the franchise player I just am not so sure they will do it. Price, Panda, Castillo, were stupid money that clearly bit them in the ass so they might be thinking in the long run Mookie could (don't think he would but stranger things have happened).

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they need pitching, which is evident... But yes Mookie is the franchise player I just am not so sure they will do it. Price, Panda, Castillo, were stupid money that clearly bit them in the ass so they might be thinking in the long run Mookie could (don't think he would but stranger things have happened).
well they better get some new pitching scouts the last good pitcher to come out of the minors is Lester Keep mookie and u have a nice core of mookie/xb/devers/beni/chavis they can go get pitching:suds:

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would be that easy to get a windfall of prospects like it used to be. Whoever traded for him would either only be getting him for a short time or have to have a long term deal with him in place. Not every team could afford to do that. Plus he is better at home. I would keep him.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would be that easy to get a windfall of prospects like it used to be. Whoever traded for him would either only be getting him for a short time or have to have a long term deal with him in place. Not every team could afford to do that. Plus he is better at home. I would keep him.

agreed. I don't think we're going to get that much for him.

Mookie's been a 5+ WAR player five years in a row now and he's already 11th among all-time Sox players in WAR. He's probably not going to have another season like 2018, but the 2019 and 2016 versions of Mookie are well worth the money IMO. It's not like they'd be in his 40s at the end of the contract either. I say sign him. JBJ might be gone soon and the Sox don't really have any particularly interesting OF prospects on the way up (except maybe Duran, but there's not much power there)

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well they better get some new pitching scouts the last good pitcher to come out of the minors is Lester Keep mookie and u have a nice core of mookie/xb/devers/beni/chavis they can go get pitching:suds:

Yeah the current one's blow worse than Rock trying to do cocaine!