• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Really, Real Opening Night Thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Covington is a very good defensive player and has a decent jumpshot. He could be a really good 3-and-D player. Supposedly, the 76ers are working on an extension for him and will hopefully announce it in November (they can't technically extend him until then.) Based on how he was acquired, I'm pretty sure they can load some of the salary into this year so that they can free up salary in years 3 and 4 when they should hopefully be competitive.

Depending on who you ask, some 76ers fans think he's worthy of a near-max contract (I'm not one of those people but I definitely do want to see him extended). I'm hoping the treatment that guys like Roberson got this offseason helps bring the number to something reasonable.
If he keeps playing the way he has, 15 or less would be great.

I wouldn't give him Hardaway or Bazemore money....not yet.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he keeps playing the way he has, 15 or less would be great.

I wouldn't give him Hardaway or Bazemore money....not yet.

The beauty with the frontloaded option is that they could essentially pay him $18 million per year but the way it would work out is something like:

17-18: $22 million (renegotiated, per CBA)
18-19: $14 million
19-20: $13 million
20-21: $12 million
21-22: $11 million

He'd essentially be getting 4 years, $72 million but he'd be making under $15 million in the years that matter. That's basically Bazemore/Hardaway money but without the financial restrictions on the cap during the extension years.

At least, that's what they tell me over on libertyballers.com:

Robert Covington Renegotiation and Extension Math

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The beauty with the frontloaded option is that they could essentially pay him $18 million per year but the way it would work out is something like:

17-18: $22 million (renegotiated, per CBA)
18-19: $14 million
19-20: $13 million
20-21: $12 million
21-22: $11 million

He'd essentially be getting 4 years, $72 million but he'd be making under $15 million in the years that matter. That's basically Bazemore/Hardaway money but without the financial restrictions on the cap during the extension years.

At least, that's what they tell me over on libertyballers.com:

Robert Covington Renegotiation and Extension Math
Yeah, that would work.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good lesson for Lonzo. Prior to that, Beverely crowded him on an in bounds, Lonzo got annoyed and shoved him (which truthfully should have been called a tech but wasn't). Then Beverely hard fouls him as he crosses half court as retaliation for the shove. Lonzo is annoyed again and he turns the ball over on the in bounds. Patrick Beverely just gave him his "Welcome to the NBA" lecture

Yep. All things considered, I thought he did ok. He was thrown in against arguably the best defending guard in the league, in his first game at 19. He kept his composure and still moved the ball ok. It would have helped if his teammates hit some shots. Doesn't matter who the point guard is when the teams shoots 40% from the field.

Reactions: LAD

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple days into the season?

Larry-David-Laughter-on-Couch.gif

And sitting at 0-2.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. All things considered, I thought he did ok. He was thrown in against arguably the best defending guard in the league, in his first game at 19. He kept his composure and still moved the ball ok. It would have helped if his teammates hit some shots. Doesn't matter who the point guard is when the teams shoots 40% from the field.

In fairness, Lonzo and Ingram shot 4-21 (19%). The rest of the team shot 33-70 (47%). Also, the Clippers only shot 39% from the field, although they shot 36% from 3 (compared to 25% by LAL) on 17 more 3PA than LAL and missed only 1 FT (compared to 9 misses by LAL).

Regardless, the Lakers can't get too upset about the W-L record though. The key for them is just to have this team start to gel over time. They've got a few pieces but I think it's going to take a while.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that would work.

I've got no clue what his demands are but I'm happy to know the 76ers can overpay him and still not hurt the team's cap situation too much.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, Lonzo and Ingram shot 4-21 (19%). The rest of the team shot 33-70 (47%). Also, the Clippers only shot 39% from the field, although they shot 36% from 3 (compared to 25% by LAL) on 17 more 3PA than LAL and missed only 1 FT (compared to 9 misses by LAL).

Regardless, the Lakers can't get too upset about the W-L record though. The key for them is just to have this team start to gel over time. They've got a few pieces but I think it's going to take a while.

Yeah, Ingram has been struggling with his shot all pre-season and it continued last night. As Beverley showed, guys are gonna bring a little something extra for Lonzo. He'll need to learn his lessons and look to do better the next time.

Agree about the record. This season is less about wins and more about development, learning roles and establishing an identity.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bksballer89 said:
I got lonzo going for 45(%FT),22(%FGs), & 15(TOs)

Sorry this ended up being optimistic with him opening up 0%FT, 16.7%FG, but hey, only 2 TO's.
Luckily the NBA season is long and it is just one game. No where to go but up.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Ingram has been struggling with his shot all pre-season and it continued last night. As Beverley showed, guys are gonna bring a little something extra for Lonzo. He'll need to learn his lessons and look to do better the next time.

Agree about the record. This season is less about wins and more about development, learning roles and establishing an identity.

The overreaction to this game for Lonzo is hilarious to me. Lonzo was guarded by IMO, the best perimeter defender in the NBA (tied with Avery Bradley). Beverly is a ferocious defender and it was Lonzo's first NBA game, including not having played in the last several pre-seasons games. He'll be fine.

What Lonzo will need to do in the short term is although he's a facilitator by nature, he's going to have to find a way to keep the defense honest by being able to score a bit too. His shot is funky and but we've seen worse work out. I think it's mostly a confidence issue for him and once he gets back to that he'll be much better.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The overreaction to this game for Lonzo is hilarious to me. Lonzo was guarded by IMO, the best perimeter defender in the NBA (tied with Avery Bradley). Beverly is a ferocious defender and it was Lonzo's first NBA game, including not having played in the last several pre-seasons games. He'll be fine.

What Lonzo will need to do in the short term is although he's a facilitator by nature, he's going to have to find a way to keep the defense honest by being able to score a bit too. His shot is funky and but we've seen worse work out. I think it's mostly a confidence issue for him and once he gets back to that he'll be much better.

Do you think anyone seriously thinks that Lonzo sucks because he had a bad first game against a good defensive player? Of course not. But part of having an outlandish human hype machine for a father means that people will enjoy it a little bit when you don't live up to the hype.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think anyone seriously thinks that Lonzo sucks because he had a bad first game against a good defensive player? Of course not. But part of having an outlandish human hype machine for a father means that people will enjoy it a little bit when you don't live up to the hype.
Fair enough.

Lavar is sickening.

But, it bothers me that people are getting so much joy out of seeing this kid struggle.

I hate the Lakers. But, I love the Bruins and hope for good things for Lonzo.

It's a slippery slope when your dad says you are better than Steph.

Beverly punished him defensively.

Dame, Wall, Westbrook, Curry, Paul gonna give him hell on both ends.

We'll, maybe not Dame....lol

But, Dame, Kyrie gonna light him up on offense.

But, don't they do that to everyone?

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a good lesson for Lonzo. Prior to that, Beverely crowded him on an in bounds, Lonzo got annoyed and shoved him (which truthfully should have been called a tech but wasn't). Then Beverely hard fouls him as he crosses half court as retaliation for the shove. Lonzo is annoyed again and he turns the ball over on the in bounds. Patrick Beverely just gave him his "Welcome to the NBA" lecture
Lonzo is gonna have to pick up some weight - preferably in the form of muscle.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Lavar is sickening.

But, it bothers me that people are getting so much joy out of seeing this kid struggle.

I hate the Lakers. But, I love the Bruins and hope for good things for Lonzo.

It's a slippery slope when your dad says you are better than Steph.

Beverly punished him defensively.

Dame, Wall, Westbrook, Curry, Paul gonna give him hell on both ends.

We'll, maybe not Dame....lol

Lonzo has benefited from his dad's antics and he will now suffer a bit because of them. It puts Lonzo in a bad spot because, at some point, he may be forced to come out and say, "My dad is an obnoxious jerk and I'm tired of his bullshit. He doesn't speak for me, only I speak for me." Until he does that or at least puts his dad in check to some extent, I think players are going to view him as LaVar's son and not as his own man.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo is gonna have to pick up some weight - preferably in the form of muscle.
Glad you specified muscle.

Had a flash to round- shoulders Ray Felton looking like a blowfish last night.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im worried about a guy whos changed his shooting motion 3 times since draft night. im worried about a kid who literally forgot to put his uniform on.
im worried about lonzo having his old man shot.

1.im worried about a guy whos changed his shooting motion 3 times since draft night : Bright side is he's showing his adaptability

2. im worried about a kid who literally forgot to put his uniform on: He was chosen by the team to demonstrate their unpreparedness via visual aid

3.im worried about lonzo having his old man shot: Better his shot than his looks :D

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lonzo has benefited from his dad's antics and he will now suffer a bit because of them. It puts Lonzo in a bad spot because, at some point, he may be forced to come out and say, "My dad is an obnoxious jerk and I'm tired of his bullshit. He doesn't speak for me, only I speak for me." Until he does that or at least puts his dad in check to some extent, I think players are going to view him as LaVar's son and not as his own man.
I want to know what his response was when Beverly basically told him " I ran up n you because of your Dad".

I would have told Pat to suck my entire ass.

He may be a blowhard. But, he is his father.

Right or wrong, you couldn't say shit to me about my parents and not expect some venom.

As far as him telling Lavar to cool it?

Not going to happen anytime soon.

Took the Williams sisters in tennis, the Jackson kids like Michael and Janet, a while to break away from their domineering parent.

Kyrie Irving is still dealing with that and he has been in the NBA for years.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think this would be a perfect situation to have a Kobe Bryant as a consultant for the team. He could work with Lonzo on all of those things you've mentioned. I think with more confidence will come a nature to score more. Because he's a pass first PG I think he would be able to balance the two well.