• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The real reason the Lions sucked week 1

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia - DL - Lions
NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports Lions veterans were "griping" about new coach Matt Patricia during training camp.

Specifically, the "number of rules put in place" and "how hard he worked them" during the summer. The Lions, of course, got blown out of the building in Patricia's debut on Monday. It will be a dynamic to watch as the season unfolds. Ex-Bill Belichick assistants have a way of flying too close to the sun trying to implement his ways elsewhere.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Its official. They are pussies.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets see if they snap out of it and bounce back. They certainly should be fresher now. Training camp been over for 2 weeks.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Patricia - DL - Lions
NFL.com's Mike Garofolo reports Lions veterans were "griping" about new coach Matt Patricia during training camp.

Specifically, the "number of rules put in place" and "how hard he worked them" during the summer. The Lions, of course, got blown out of the building in Patricia's debut on Monday. It will be a dynamic to watch as the season unfolds. Ex-Bill Belichick assistants have a way of flying too close to the sun trying to implement his ways elsewhere.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Its official. They are pussies.

Definitely not a good look for them. But Stafford was flat out terrible. 4 picks at home from a ten year vet? PATHETIC!

The biggest black eye to me on the coaching staff was spending so much draft stock on the running game. Just to see it be every bit as bad as last year.

Our first round pick Frank Tomlinson was just beaten like a ragdoll.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad coach who rids a mediocre team of talent seems like the reason to me.

Quin will fire Cooter before the end of next month to throw people off. But that won't work.

Hopefully it's only this season and next that we have no hope of being competitive. Then a real GM and HC can get in here before Staff's prime is over.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad coach who rids a mediocre team of talent seems like the reason to me.

Quin will fire Cooter before the end of next month to throw people off. But that won't work.

Hopefully it's only this season and next that we have no hope of being competitive. Then a real GM and HC can get in here before Staff's prime is over.

BQ and MP will have 1 more year after this.

Just out of curiosity, what talent did MP get rid of? Offense is the same with 1 better O-lineman and RB. Defense we lost Whitehead. Zettle only played because Hyder got hurt.

So exactly what talent was chased out of here?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One problem I have with MP so far is he is trying to be BB instead of MP. Not sure that is going to work for him. He needs to light a fire under this team. Does not have to be too much Ra-Ra but cant just accept what is going on emotionless and say we need to get better.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not with the defense and special teams looking horrific.
This could be a very long season.

The fact is, look at our off season from what our GM has done.

Last year, Lions were bottom third in pressures and sacks. He did NOTHING to improve that. Our linebackers have sucked for years. I give him credit for at least trying to improve it with Jarrad Davis but the other two spots are completely void of talent.

He tried to fix the running game which was dead last or close to it. Outside of PFF. Who had Ragnow going in the first round? That pick reminds me so much of Laken Tomlinson. The jury is out but the early results look rough. He was flat out whiffing on blocks.

Lions owners never hire anyone proven. We seem to be the "break in" franchise for assistant coaches and GM's to learn on the job.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year, Lions were bottom third in pressures and sacks. He did NOTHING to improve that. Our linebackers have sucked for years. I give him credit for at least trying to improve it with Jarrad Davis but the other two spots are completely void of talent.

He tried to fix the running game which was dead last or close to it. Outside of PFF. Who had Ragnow going in the first round? That pick reminds me so much of Laken Tomlinson. The jury is out but the early results look rough. He was flat out whiffing on blocks.

Lions owners never hire anyone proven. We seem to be the "break in" franchise for assistant coaches and GM's to learn on the job.

Actually Kennard is playing better than any of our LBs. Still not great, but decent. Davis is still undisciplined.

Ragnow was an early first round pick before the injury. The injury was the only reason everyone had him as 2nd round.

Everyone knows the defense was going to be bottom half and then some. The offense was supposed to carry this team. Loaded with talent. Hugely underachieving.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BQ and MP will have 1 more year after this.

Just out of curiosity, what talent did MP get rid of? Offense is the same with 1 better O-lineman and RB. Defense we lost Whitehead. Zettle only played because Hyder got hurt.

So exactly what talent was chased out of here?
Ebron, Whitehead and Zettle all are better football players than what they were replaced with.

Golladay will get most of those targets. But if he gets hurt, it's only munchkins. Stupid move not to give him the 5th year. Even worse that pushing a no TE agenda, based on lack of talent.

Hyder only has been cut four times. Everybody only plays because someone else doesn't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Kennard is playing better than any of our LBs. Still not great, but decent. Davis is still undisciplined.

Ragnow was an early first round pick before the injury. The injury was the only reason everyone had him as 2nd round.

Everyone knows the defense was going to be bottom half and then some. The offense was supposed to carry this team. Loaded with talent. Hugely underachieving.
Don't worry, tJBC will get fired soon. And the future former Lions GM and HC can hire Jim
boeheim or whoever from Syracuse.

The Jets never scored that many points in a game before and the offense underachieveing is the issue? Winning 50-48 is going to be a lot to ask of Staff.

Teryl Austin is 2-0 with his new gig. Has to feel like he got out of prison.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron, Whitehead and Zettle all are better football players than what they were replaced with.

Golladay will get most of those targets. But if he gets hurt, it's only munchkins. Stupid move not to give him the 5th year. Even worse that pushing a no TE agenda, based on lack of talent.

Hyder only has been cut four times. Everybody only plays because someone else doesn't.

Ebron is still not good. No way I would sign him long term. Whitehead no better than Kennard. I liked Zettle but he cant hold the edge.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Will be.

Already was at an alltime low in optimism before Monday's curb stomping. Now I'm certain we're the worst team in the division.

Ragnow is the Tomlinson pick over, everyone had him lower, except Detroit. Good thing the 5th back in the draft cost two second rounders also. I'm just glad we haven't traded for Gronk yet. But I'm waiting for that one. The longer Quin is employed, the higher the chances of dumb.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, tJBC will get fired soon. And the future former Lions GM and HC can hire Jim
boeheim or whoever from Syracuse.

The Jets never scored that many points in a game before and the offense underachieveing is the issue? Winning 50-48 is going to be a lot to ask of Staff.

Teryl Austin is 2-0 with his new gig. Has to feel like he got out of prison.

Yes it is. ST too. 2 TDs and 3 possessions inside the 30. Defense responsible for about 25 of the 48 points. When an offense with a gazillion early round picks only scores 10 and gives up 7 plus field position for at least 9 more then that is a much bigger concern.

We could have the number 1 defense in the league and we would have still gotten blown out in that scenario.

Would have loved to keep Austin. I was his only supporter on this board. Now all of a sudden you guys love him?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is still not good. No way I would sign him long term. Whitehead no better than Kennard. I liked Zettle but he cant hold the edge.
Well, short term might've been a good idea until he's replaced. Holes at positions usually are bad.

Underperforming happens when talent is stripped. It will get worse when vets lose faith and run their mouth. These two think they're BB, players don't. More guys who would add to overall depth will be let go for no good football reason.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is. ST too. 2 TDs and 3 possessions inside the 30. Defense responsible for about 25 of the 48 points. When an offense with a gazillion early round picks only scores 10 and gives up 7 plus field position for at least 9 more then that is a much bigger concern.

We could have the number 1 defense in the league and we would have still gotten blown out in that scenario.

Would have loved to keep Austin. I was his only supporter on this board. Now all of a sudden you guys love him?
Who don't you support besides ex-Lions that are better than current ones?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who don't you support besides ex-Lions that are better than current ones?

Either of our current or past coordinators besides Austin. Our D-line. Our LBs. I gave Caldwell a few years but was done by year 3. Never like any of our HCs after year 1 since Fontes left. Hate the owners. Never liked any of our QBs until Staff.

I could go on and on.

How about you tell us who you supported when they were on the team? You seem to love everyone who leaves and bitch about anyone who comes in. Hell you bitch about the same players you now love when they were still with the Lions.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i_have_seen_some_shit_meme_by_dangerdude991-d9hwu2k.png

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either of our current or past coordinators besides Austin. Our D-line. Our LBs. I gave Caldwell a few years but was done by year 3. Never like any of our HCs after year 1 since Fontes left. Hate the owners. Never liked any of our QBs until Staff.

I could go on and on.

How about you tell us who you supported when they were on the team? You seem to love everyone who leaves and bitch about anyone who comes in. Hell you bitch about the same players you now love when they were still with the Lions.
Willie Young, for starters. (Too much of a badass though.)

Ebron

Ruddock

Whitehead

Fairley

Suh

Reif

I didn't want any of them to play elsewhere.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron was not great, but he is far better than anything we brought in. We did not need to sign him to an extension, but why cut him and not spend any of the money saved on a replacement?

Spending what they did this free agency to downgrade at linebacker was a hell of a thing too. We paid starting money for players that barely made it off of teams practice squads last year.

I agree that Zettle is a flawed prospect, but he was a hell of a lot better of what else is on our team. The only none Ansah DE even close to his level is only a year removed from a torn Achilles, which takes 2 years to fully recover.

Overall the team lacks depth because of Quin's mismanagement, and the new coach came in and thinned out all of the already weak positions before any kind of backup was in place.

Add in the worst O coordinator in football so defenses know the play calls and it will be a rough year.