• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The quest to the reigning of Flowers

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your thoughts regarding the Lions doing whatever it takes to get Flowers to sign with the Lions

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions should go all in to sign Patriots edge rusher Trey Flowers

If Flowers does make it to free agency, the Detroit Lions need to go all in and do everything possible to bring him to Detroit. Whether that’s camping out at his house at 11:59 p.m. on the eve of free agency, giving Flowers $85 million-plus on a five-year deal, or both, Flowers is the kind of transformative player worth moving mountains for.

So rarely do young, ascending players like Flowers, 25, hit free agency. And to find such a player who not only has experience, but has excelled, in the exact defense and precise role he’d play on your team? That’s rarer than an officiating call benefiting the Lions.

Flowers has improved every season since the Patriots drafted him out of Arkansas in the fourth round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Last season, Flowers earned an elite 90.4 grade from Pro Football Focus, and there’s every reason to begin he’ll only keep improving from there.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What makes Flowers so special, and what makes him such a perfect fit for the Lions, is that he is not just an electrifying pass rusher. In fact, he may be even more dominant in the run game.

Last year, Flowers racked up 7.5 sacks and earned Pro Football Focus’s 13th best pass-rushing grade for edge rushers. Yet that seems downright pedestrian in comparison to Flowers’ dominant work on run defense, which ranked third among edge players. You just don’t find that kind of all-around game in many players.

That’s exactly why signing Flowers won’t be easy. With other premium edge rushers like Jadeveon Clowney, Dee Ford, and Frank Clark expected to be tagged, the pool of available edge players shrinks considerably. And almost every team in the league will have Flowers at the top of their free-agent wish list. Flowers’ former defensive coordinator Brian Flores in Miami and former Patriots legend Mike Vrabel in Tennessee seems like obvious completion for Flowers.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nor will it be cheap to sign him. Flowers is likely to command a top of the market deal and then some. Spotrac estimates that Flowers will earn over $15 million per season, and it’s not hard to imagine that he’ll get a five-year contract north of $80 million, with a large part of that deal guaranteed.

And many don’t believe that Lions General Manager Bob Quinn values edge rushers enough to break the bank for Flowers. Quinn has not yet been willing to spend a Day 1 or Day 2 draft pick on an edge rusher. And Quinn’s free agent signings at the position have been underwhelming to say the least (Cornelius Washington, anyone?)

Yet, I don’t believe that Quinn would, or should, hesitate to sign a franchise-changing player of Flowers’ caliber. Indeed, it was just last year when Quinn paid $17 million for just one season of Ziggy Ansah. If Quinn really didn’t value pass rushers, and thought Patricia could scheme pressure with lesser paid players — a theory that failed spectacularly last year — the Lions would have have let Ziggy walk. They didn’t.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go for it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flower's will probably end up getting 5 yr 82.5M-85M with at least 45-50M in guarantees, imo

That sounds a little high but only 25 and it is better then giving it to the 39 year old we currently have at that position. I would grab Preston Smith too. The rest would be too expensive for what they IMO.

I'm pretty sure my lousy attempt to guess at guaranteed money is going to be short.

@Old Lion , I retract my stating that you had called me crazy when I threw out a guess that Flowers would get 82.5M-85M. You simply stated "sounds a little high".

We won't know what he gets for another month.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flower's will probably end up getting 5 yr 82.5M-85M with at least 45-50M in guarantees, imo

17 million a year is very salty.
We gave Ansah what? 15 and that is an average of the top 5 salaries at DE?
So basically we would have to pay him 1-2 over DE money?
Dude is maybe a top 10 player but certainly not in the JJ Watt class of talent.

the following from the above article
If Flowers does make it to free agency, the Detroit Lions need to go all in and do everything possible to bring him to Detroit. Whether that’s camping out at his house at 11:59 p.m. on the eve of free agency, giving Flowers $85 million-plus on a five-year deal, or both, Flowers is the kind of transformative player worth moving mountains for.

TBD on March 13th

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My other want is Washington DE/OLB Preston Smith. I wanted him coming out of Miss State back in 2015. he might be somewhat costly but I like him more than Trey Flowers. If you could get Smith for around 11-12M per year MAX I'd be happy.

WTF Blue, you need to go back to the rock you dug/crawled out from under.

Once again, I'm merely pointing out your own snafu's.

:pound:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are the Lions' top 5 priorities this offseason

2. Sign Trey Flowers or a different star on defense
The Lions need an edge rusher as well as a cornerback to fix their pass defense woes, as they sat near the bottom of the league's pressure rates all season long and will not have Ezekiel Ansah to franchise tag this time around. But this priority goes beyond just finding a pass rush and more toward finding a real playmaker on defense. General manager Bob Quinn said he wants to find them, the types who end drives on third down or in the red zone and can help create turnovers, all areas Detroit lacked in sorely with just the one Pro Bowler in Slay and very little other athleticism on the unit.

Well, you don't find a playmaker without spending up. It's possible to do it in the draft, but few rookie defenders come in and make that kind of impact in Year 1, and you certainly can't bank on it. If Detroit wants another defensive playmaker for 2019, it needs to pony up in free agency.

Luckily for the Lions, one of the top options is a pretty perfect fit. Trey Flowers rose up under Matt Patricia's tutelage in New England, and he's ready to hit the market after racking up 26.5 sacks in the past three regular seasons and postseasons combined. He's one of the few top-tier free agents who is used to Patricia's culture, which could scare off some others. He'd be the easiest way to spend that $50 million in cap space and get something highly impactful in return.

It doesn't have to be Flowers (wrong, it should be or must be Flowers, bb_72) or a defensive end, but the Lions badly need to add a star to the defense to really affect the quarterback. That will likely come at cornerback or edge rusher, but it needs to be someone established and who isn't just a bet on potential because the wins need to start arriving.