• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Players...old fodder...Is it...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major or not.

Everything about it, purse size, course difficulty, strength of field says MAJOR. But it doesn't have the official title.

IMO this is a power struggle...the PGAT is so desperate to host a major that they won't let this go.

I'm fine with 4...I did listen to the arguments Chamblee, et al were making the other night in favor of it. All of those are valid points about 4 not being an intended number, strength of field and the difficulty, etc.

But aside from the PGAT getting it's ego stroked, why is there a need for another major?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A major or not.

Everything about it, purse size, course difficulty, strength of field says MAJOR. But it doesn't have the official title.

IMO this is a power struggle...the PGAT is so desperate to host a major that they won't let this go.

I'm fine with 4...I did listen to the arguments Chamblee, et al were making the other night in favor of it. All of those are valid points about 4 not being an intended number, strength of field and the difficulty, etc.

But aside from the PGAT getting it's ego stroked, why is there a need for another major?

I don't see it as a Major. The PGA is pushing too hard to try and make it one by hyping the course and field. There are several other tournaments I'd rather win than this one, including the real four Majors.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as a Major. The PGA is pushing too hard to try and make it one by hyping the course and field. There are several other tournaments I'd rather win than this one, including the real four Majors.

I don't either...imo it's been a contrived event to give the players (PGAT) some control over an "important" tourney...thus they sought out the highest purse, deepest field, this special venue, etc.

Obviously this started some time ago, but I think the players were miffed when they split from the PGA that the tourney stayed with the PGA of America and became their cash cow. The USGA, Augusta National, and R&A have their cash cows also.

The PGAT being the most powerful tour in the world...left out in the cold....until The Players.

I'm not a huge fan of Sawgrass...I've had means and opportunity to play it and just didn't...the people that I know that have played it said it was just okay...not worth the $.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't either...imo it's been a contrived event to give the players (PGAT) some control over an "important" tourney...thus they sought out the highest purse, deepest field, this special venue, etc.

Obviously this started some time ago, but I think the players were miffed when they split from the PGA that the tourney stayed with the PGA of America and became their cash cow. The USGA, Augusta National, and R&A have their cash cows also.

The PGAT being the most powerful tour in the world...left out in the cold....until The Players.

I'm not a huge fan of Sawgrass...I've had means and opportunity to play it and just didn't...the people that I know that have played it said it was just okay...not worth the $.

The only hole I'd like to take a crack at is 17.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

It's also remarkable that the least respected major seems to have had the most exciting finishes as of late.