• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Option Play

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Will the sophomore class of quarterbacks continue to enjoy a high level of success with it this season?

2) How will NFL defenses respond this year, to the read-option?

Please discuss.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spying, I guess, is the most obvious way to counter the read-option.
What else?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Will the sophomore class of quarterbacks continue to enjoy a high level of success with it this season?

2) How will NFL defenses respond this year, to the read-option?

Please discuss.

1....not stellar.

2....if it were me...I take the pitch away and let the QB run it...if he goes for 150, so be it, but he's not going to beat a playoff caliber team doing that the whole game.

My general feeling about the pro game, the QB is a facilator...not the primary playmaker...I saw the entire career of Vick in ATL. It took a couple of seasons before players knew the right angles to take on him and once they did the hits started to pile up. Secondly, after a while the WRs knew that if Mike didn't throw it to his 1st read he was going to run it so they didn't complete their patterns, etc. It kind of became the watch Mike show....in between the 20s, pretty good...inside the scoring zone against the better teams...not as good.

Apples & Oranges? Maybe a little...as these guys are better passers than Vick was early on. Certainly enough to force the DC to defend the entire field. Read option is not going away, but I don't expect to see in heavy doses as their careers go along.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1--I think Andrew Luck will still have success as he is a pocket passing quarterback and has at least a better OL in front of him. The others because they rely on their legs more I could see them struggling as I think teams will make them pay even more for trying to run this year working on hitting the quarterbacks every option play possible until coaches fear their quarterback getting hurt.

2--As was stated earlier I would get one of your speedier linebackers to shadow the quarterback everywhere he goes and tell him hit him as often as you can. Try to wear down that quarterback as much as you possibly can. Also definitely mix up the blitzing packages on these young guys. Try to get pressure from all over the formation and force them to have to make quick decisions.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
1....not stellar.

2....if it were me...I take the pitch away and let the QB run it...if he goes for 150, so be it, but he's not going to beat a playoff caliber team doing that the whole game.

My general feeling about the pro game, the QB is a facilator...not the primary playmaker...I saw the entire career of Vick in ATL. It took a couple of seasons before players knew the right angles to take on him and once they did the hits started to pile up. Secondly, after a while the WRs knew that if Mike didn't throw it to his 1st read he was going to run it so they didn't complete their patterns, etc. It kind of became the watch Mike show....in between the 20s, pretty good...inside the scoring zone against the better teams...not as good.

Apples & Oranges? Maybe a little...as these guys are better passers than Vick was early on. Certainly enough to force the DC to defend the entire field. Read option is not going away, but I don't expect to see in heavy doses as their careers go along.

So do you think Green Bay is a playoff caliber team?

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could work the whole year, but the qb's that continue to do it will have very short careers.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do you think Green Bay is a playoff caliber team?

I do, and I'll give you that one and ATL even though he didn't play that great in that one.

No axe to grind against any of those guys, but I've seen enough football at the level to that your QB cannot be your primary playmaker.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1....not stellar.

They are not only better passers than Vick they are better QBs in many ways - smarter, better leaders, can read the field better, etc. All of these guys are flexible & can adapt. Anyone who believes that the answer is to shadow the QB, try to hit them constantly or force them to pass is probably in for a very rude awakening.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not only better passers than Vick they are better QBs in many ways - smarter, better leaders, can read the field better, etc. All of these guys are flexible & can adapt. Anyone who believes that the answer is to shadow the QB, try to hit them constantly or force them to pass is probably in for a very rude awakening.

Probably true on all points. I will say this in Vick's defense...the worse thing to happen to Vick was Reeves getting fired...Mora/Knapp literally allowed a freelance offense.

To your point, they will have to adapt...any running QB is going to get hit, but that's not my point...let him run all he wants...I still contend that if your QB is the primary play maker, you're not going to hoist the Lombardi...won't happen and I really like RG3...thrilled that CLE was so stupid.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought that some of the arguments against using more option plays (that QBs will get hurt too much and cost too much money) are easily solved by drafting tough QBs in later rounds and paying them less.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought that some of the arguments against using more option plays (that QBs will get hurt too much and cost too much money) are easily solved by drafting tough QBs in later rounds and paying them less.

That is true if this is a pure option & it is used almost all of the time. Pretty sure all of the teams employing this will scale it back somewhat & they have to make one of their priorities protecting the QB & will adapt accordingly.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably true on all points. I will say this in Vick's defense...the worse thing to happen to Vick was Reeves getting fired...Mora/Knapp literally allowed a freelance offense.

To your point, they will have to adapt...any running QB is going to get hit, but that's not my point...let him run all he wants...I still contend that if your QB is the primary play maker, you're not going to hoist the Lombardi...won't happen and I really like RG3...thrilled that CLE was so stupid.

You are probably right & teams will need to shore up the rest of their team - including the defense to be true contenders. In the Redskins case they are trying to build pieces around RG3. However -it is a little tough this season due to the salary cap penalties. Over time - they will no doubt add receivers, lineman, etc (they are not bad in these areas now but obviously can get better).

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running the option in the pros is not like running it in college. In the NFL most Defensive Ends, Outside Linebackers, Safeties, and Cornerbacks have plenty of speed to sniff out a slow developing play like an option. The mismatches on the outsides just aren't as glaring as they can be at the college level sometimes.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running the option in the pros is not like running it in college. In the NFL most Defensive Ends, Outside Linebackers, Safeties, and Cornerbacks have plenty of speed to sniff out a slow developing play like an option. The mismatches on the outsides just aren't as glaring as they can be at the college level sometimes.

That's fair enough, but if you get a once in a lifetime guy like Vick then it's probably possible. I still think that Vick, Dunn and Duckett could have run the veer pretty effectively for a year or so.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair enough, but if you get a once in a lifetime guy like Vick then it's probably possible. I still think that Vick, Dunn and Duckett could have run the veer pretty effectively for a year or so.

I don't think so...Vick was most effective running the ball on broken plays or freelancing. Reeves had a real offense...there were some designed running plays for Vick, roll outs, and straight drop backs. In Veer...only 1 guy maybe 2 out in patterns basically to block...DEF would eat that up.

Being mobile IS a great thing (imo the reason Rodgers is the most dangerous QB in the NFL). The only reason the pistol, read option is working now is because these QBs can throw it very well and run it very well...we're going to see them throwing it more as DEF adjust to the scheme.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The option that is run in this case is not the same as the one that has been traditionally run in college. Also - unlike college or certainly years ago in college - the idea is not for the QB to expose themself on most plays. The idea is not even to run all the time - in many cases it sets up the pass. Additionally - it is not intended to be run most of the time.

This play fooled a lot of the type of defensive players you mentioned above. Over time - sure - defenses will adapt but so will offenses. Typically the NFL relies a lot more on strategy whereas college relies on mismatches. This is like a chess match except it also relies on very talented players.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are probably right & teams will need to shore up the rest of their team - including the defense to be true contenders. In the Redskins case they are trying to build pieces around RG3. However -it is a little tough this season due to the salary cap penalties. Over time - they will no doubt add receivers, lineman, etc (they are not bad in these areas now but obviously can get better).

Not that the games are similar, but a point guard like Allan Iverson was great to watch score 35 a night, can win games, but you don't win titles that way. I believe the same applies in the NFL...QB primary job is gettng the ball to the playmakers.

Trust me...I really like the dimension these guys bring, just not so much designed rushes...With Matt Ryan, play breaks down on 3rd &5, Falcons are probably punting...these guys can get you 5 yds in heart beat to keep the drive going.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both SF and Seattle. The two teams that got the most media hysteria over it last year, ran it only 7-10% of all offensive plays per game though out 2012. If you ran it every play in the NFL, your franchise QB would be eating from a straw or in a wheel chair for life by season 2. NFL DE's, LB, and S are too damn fast and physical to run that every play. Your QB would be blown up the majority of plays.

And there is nothing to magically figure out. Anyone with less than a bandwagon fan level of football knowledge knows that the option has been around since the dawn of football.

The whole point of the "read"-option that your seeing out there with QBs like Kaep and Wilson, is to mainly get the LBs and LEOs rotating from SAM to DEs in situations, to have to commit to either the RB or QB sooner than they should. LEOs are out there to also pay attention to what the TEs are doing which creates even more doubt since they got to judge what's going on with them as well, in seconds....

"Are they handing it off to the RB or is the QB going to fake it at the last sec, and run to the outside where he could have multiple options (TE, WR short and long, or run it himself if everyone is covered or he spots his own daylight) by design or makes the call as the play unfolds???" It's forcing the D to gamble and make a call sooner than they would like to. It increases the odds of fail by them. Reduces predictability of an offense.

It simply opens the playbook up a little more for offensive coordinators to have Qbs like this. It's vegas style odds and advantages. But at the NFL level, they still have to be depend on them to throw accurate long and short passes. Both Kaep and Wilson can throw the rock very accurately. Their athleticism just provides another dynamic.