• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one "silver lining" for the B1G and the Pac12...

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read the whole thread, because there is no silver lining.

The clouds are all dark.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An athlete can have their career ended every time they go to practice or a game. There is always risk in football, balancing it with full information is what we need to have, not fear mongering.

The way it works is actually quite similar ... there is nothing new to what is happening. Read up on it. The way it is identified, and managed is quite similar to the other 3 viruses I mentioned. UGA's medical staff has stated that they have been testing for this "new" heart disease for many years. Kind of surprised it's so new to the B1G and PAC (being very sarcastic).

So, let me ask you this. I assume you are for closing down all practices, any athletic activity at all, and send students home and close down campuses. Because if the issue is this heart disease, there is nothing that indicates it is unique to athletes. Any student can get it, and having 40K students on campus can't be safe. So, I assume you want everything shut down for the .001% chance of this happening.
An athlete can but you do not introduce extras that can do the same. You dont play in a storm with lightening.
No I am not for any of that. Your assumption was wrong. However I am not qualified to contradict an expert, I can understand how the decision was made. Its just not one I agree with based on my google knowledge.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An athlete can but you do not introduce extras that can do the same. You dont play in a storm with lightening.
No I am not for any of that. Your assumption was wrong. However I am not qualified to contradict an expert, I can understand how the decision was made. Its just not one I agree with based on my google knowledge.
We have no idea what the experts have said as the B1G has not released the details. Same with the Alpha 3, too, FWIW.

I can't imagine living a life where you are so irrationally scared that you shut down life for people who have almost a zero likelihood of getting seriously sick. I have skin in the game ... two college aged kids, one who is in Tuscaloosa right now, and the other who should be in LA at school but they are not letting them on campus. My 18 and 20 year olds are safe to go about their lives normally, but respectfully which means they will wear masks when in public. My 92 year old mother, and my 90 year old FIL are properly shut in to stay safe, and will stay that way pending a vaccine. My wife and I, at 60 and 57 and in good health, wear masks, social distance, and limit contact with people outside our sphere of friends. Not taking unnecessary risks, but not staying shut down either. This is common sense.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know in Austin only 5% of it's students will be on campus learning? 18% will be on a hybrid schedule (campus and online) and the rest are taking online classes exclusively.
Good grief. Guadalupe street is going to look like a ghost town!

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have no idea what the experts have said as the B1G has not released the details. Same with the Alpha 3, too, FWIW.

I can't imagine living a life where you are so irrationally scared that you shut down life for people who have almost a zero likelihood of getting seriously sick. I have skin in the game ... two college aged kids, one who is in Tuscaloosa right now, and the other who should be in LA at school but they are not letting them on campus. My 18 and 20 year olds are safe to go about their lives normally, but respectfully which means they will wear masks when in public. My 92 year old mother, and my 90 year old FIL are properly shut in to stay safe, and will stay that way pending a vaccine. My wife and I, at 60 and 57 and in good health, wear masks, social distance, and limit contact with people outside our sphere of friends. Not taking unnecessary risks, but not staying shut down either. This is common sense.
Ex is a has been and spurt is a drip that is under pressure!

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not read the whole thread, because there is no silver lining.

The clouds are all dark.
Skys are clear in SEC country.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

https://nypost.com/2020/08/10/colle...fueled-by-heart-condition-linked-to-covid-19/

Just one article discussing the effects on the heart.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I quote "Myocarditis, while rare, has shown up more in patients with coronavirus than other viral infections such as the common cold or the flu, according to limited studies done during the pandemic."

So, when it comes to the clinical efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with covid, only double blind studies count. But, when shutting down college football, limited studies are sufficient. And people wonder why we are so skeptical of this nonsense.

Most people with myocarditis recover completely, either with or without treatment, and have no lasting symptoms or complications. For example, if it is caused by a viral infection, the myocarditis may get better as the person's immune system fights the infection and they recover from the virus. Myocarditis and cardiomyopathy. This means that so long as there is a plan in place to test athletes (and students?) who get covid, the risk is very, very low. The SEC and other conferences have known about this for a long time (decades), and have tested for it for years. If the NBA, who are in the same or worse demographic, and have more of a history of myocarditis deaths, has decided it's okay, CFB can say it's okay.

Here is a great article on it that shows both sides of the issue: David Chao, MD: Investigating Both Sides of Myocarditis Divide. If you read this, you will understand why each side is taking the approach they are.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't make sense to insist everything come to a halt when for most students this is a big nothing. What about those who never even have symptoms and only find out they ever had it after the fact?

Everyone with a normal daily life will get this virus eventually. Not playing football is not going to keep the players from getting it anyway. If the old people don't want it, they can stay home. I have a daughter at Ole Miss myself and I intent to go to a game if I can. Damn sure going to my kid's First Jr High game in 2 weeks (he got his jersey today, dammit it's red).

Covid hasn't stopped school and it's going fine so far. Rational people with sense should expect more of the same.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early entries get to see the field. How is that "no early work".

Up to 85 total scholarship players on the roster. There can be no more.

The teams make room for early entrees by removing some players off scholarship and/or seniors
leaving school, or they were under the limit in the first place or some players were moved to an
injured scholarship.

It will be very difficult to remove players from scholarships when they haven't even played.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up to 85 total scholarship players on the roster. There can be no more.

The teams make room for early entrees by removing some players off scholarship and/or seniors
leaving school, or they were under the limit in the first place or some players were moved to an
injured scholarship.

It will be very difficult to remove players from scholarships when they haven't even played.

Oregon will have some players elect to go for the draft...which opens up scholarship spots.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon will have some players elect to go for the draft...which opens up scholarship spots.

I agree with that. Anybody who believes they might have a future in the NFL won't play in the spring.

But those EE's will be straight off a HS campus with no conditioning work or body development drills...they
will struggle greatly and won't get the proper work if a season is in progress.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that. Anybody who believes they might have a future in the NFL won't play in the spring.

But those EE's will be straight off a HS campus with no conditioning work or body development drills...they
will struggle greatly and won't get the proper work if a season is in progress.

For some. The 5* can contribute immediately.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I quote "Myocarditis, while rare, has shown up more in patients with coronavirus than other viral infections such as the common cold or the flu, according to limited studies done during the pandemic."

So, when it comes to the clinical efficacy of hydroxychloroquine in patients with covid, only double blind studies count. But, when shutting down college football, limited studies are sufficient. And people wonder why we are so skeptical of this nonsense.

Most people with myocarditis recover completely, either with or without treatment, and have no lasting symptoms or complications. For example, if it is caused by a viral infection, the myocarditis may get better as the person's immune system fights the infection and they recover from the virus. Myocarditis and cardiomyopathy. This means that so long as there is a plan in place to test athletes (and students?) who get covid, the risk is very, very low. The SEC and other conferences have known about this for a long time (decades), and have tested for it for years. If the NBA, who are in the same or worse demographic, and have more of a history of myocarditis deaths, has decided it's okay, CFB can say it's okay.

Here is a great article on it that shows both sides of the issue: David Chao, MD: Investigating Both Sides of Myocarditis Divide. If you read this, you will understand why each side is taking the approach they are.
This is it right there. I disagree but I am not a professional. I think they are safer on campus. But once again i am not a professional.
I have never said the SEC or other conf is wrong for playing, I am saying I understand why the B1G made the decision they did.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe some skill people but linemen and lb's don't have enough upper body strength to do the job.

Penei Sewell started as a true freshman on the Oregon OL and went the whole year without committing a holding penalty.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is it right there. I disagree but I am not a professional. I think they are safer on campus. But once again i am not a professional.
I have never said the SEC or other conf is wrong for playing, I am saying I understand why the B1G made the decision they did.

Forcing them to stay on campus and several other issues though is the question. Colleges are fighting tooth and nail that the students athletes aren’t professionals or “employees”.