• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one "silver lining" for the B1G and the Pac12...

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McDonald's, Burger King, all those fast food restaurants. Why the hell are they anywhere near a college campus?

Long lasting health problems that you pay for.

Why are cigarettes even still allowed to be sold?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is where I land. It's going to be like the flu. There will be those who survive it and those who don't, but everyone is going to get it...especially as it mutates. A vaccine may help, but even flu shots don't stop the flu. It's just a reality we will live with in my opinion.
Right. It's too bad, but unavoidable, and it's here now. So everyone is going to get it. I just seen no reason to make civilization come to a halt when doing so will make no difference.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if only one athlete dies to covid19 this year, would you consider the season a success?

Yes, you can’t live your live worrying. Especially in a sport like football where people have died or permanently have had their lives ruined because of football. Do you know more people of college football age have died flying to driving to and from a football game than have from Covid?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC, ACC, and/or B12 decide to push through and play this fall, there will be A LOT of pressure to surrounding COVID during the season. If key players get it before big games...or if a team has a dozen or more players get it and they all miss a game or two, it's going to be be bad optics. The playoffs would have a lot of arguing to do if a team like Clemson lost a REALLY close game and Lawrence was out due to COVID, or Alabama loses a close game and half their starting defense was out due to COVID. Do they still go by the philosophy of choosing the best team, or do they put more weight on the record?

Or, obviously if they start the season and have to cancel it. The B1G and Pac12's decision to cancel could look really good in those scenarios. I'm not saying I agree with the B1G and Pac12 (I think they all should have at least started the season to see how it works out), but that is one way that they might come out on top of this whole debate on whether to start or not.

I don't blame the Big 10 & Pac-12 for erring on the side of caution, but I think they would have been better served to wait a couple more weeks to see if there was a downward trend in new infections.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame the Big 10 & Pac-12 for erring on the side of caution, but I think they would have been better served to wait a couple more weeks to see if there was a downward trend in new infections.

But if they are erring on the side of caution, why would they open the campus dorms up for 10k+ students to return? The football team and staff are around 100 people, and will be closely monitored and tested at least weekly. They will be playing other teams with the same protocols. So why do the presidents of these universities think that COVID is more dangerous to the football team than the students returning in MUCH larger numbers and without the close monitoring?

BamaDude

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if they are erring on the side of caution, why would they open the campus dorms up for 10k+ students to return? The football team and staff are around 100 people, and will be closely monitored and tested at least weekly. They will be playing other teams with the same protocols. So why do the presidents of these universities think that COVID is more dangerous to the football team than the students returning in MUCH larger numbers and without the close monitoring?

Ask the administrators.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask the administrators.

I don't think I need to ask them to see the hypocrisy. IMO, it's simply a PR move to make it look like they are concerned about the students. When the fact is, they would lose a TON of money if they closed down the campus. That's just my opinion. Opening the campus up is WAY more dangerous than allowing a closely monitored sports team play its season.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy that we are in a pandemic and hospitals are having to furlough nurses. Ever heard of that? A worldwide pandemic and Hospitals have to furlough their nurses...…………………...

But wear that mask in the lobby of the restaurant, but take it off once you sit down at your table.
That is the hospitals that are still in business. A lot of smaller communities have lost their hospitals.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know someone who got it, quarantined for the 14 days with their family all inside the household. He was the only one who got it. The rest of his family, who stayed in the same house for 14 days never got it. But this is super contagious?

If it is so contagious, why to get tested for it do they have to stick a Q-tip all the way up your nose? Why not just a cheek swab?

And have you seen people who work with and study viruses? They are in full on suits and masks. Sorry, but your neck roll mask piece of cloth or bandana that you lift up over your nose does nothing and is as effective as just pulling your shirt up over your nose.
My second cousin is an athlete at the university and they test them frequently. He tested positive but his only symptom was the loss of taste and smell.

Before the positive he was going somewhere in a SUV with his family including his 82 year old Grandmother. None of which have gotten it. Like you brought up super contagious?

The ironic part is in any discussion there is always one pointing fingers at others stating how uneducated they are in how serious this flesh eating zombie killer is.

In my state no one under the age of 25 without pre existing have died. Two with pre existing have died. Flu is way worse for that age group which is the age group of the athletes and students we are discussing.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coronavirus27.jpg

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is political about this? I am talking about the health issues regarding playing football. This thread and many threads on this forum right now is about playing football in regards to the virus and the dangers the virus presents.

What is political about arguing the safety and health of college athletes that is stemming from an argument about the virus. Unless you are saying the virus is political?
Actually several studies have shown that breathing will result in fatal consequences. Do you recommend that people stop this insanity before it is too late?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. It's too bad, but unavoidable, and it's here now. So everyone is going to get it. I just seen no reason to make civilization come to a halt when doing so will make no difference.

Actually keeping infections rates low will help keep hospitals at capacity or lower. If too many people get it at once, the hospitals won't be able to treat people who may have survived it otherwise. The whole purpose of having people stay at home is too keep the death counts lower.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lasting effects of CTE, higher chances of getting ALS, any tackle could result into immediate paralyzation, lots of dangers with playing football. Is it worth it for amateur athletes? Seems like we need to take the health and safety of players seriously here and not just related to this virus.

We should be seriously discussing the future of college football. Is it worth it?
So you are discussing the issues that are related to football. This is not. This is an extra issue that is trying to be controlled. Just as the others are trying to be controlled.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are discussing the issues that are related to football. This is not. This is an extra issue that is trying to be controlled. Just as the others are trying to be controlled.

The thing you have to realize about @OregonDucks is well...he's an imbecile.

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is where I land. It's going to be like the flu. There will be those who survive it and those who don't, but everyone is going to get it...especially as it mutates. A vaccine may help, but even flu shots don't stop the flu. It's just a reality we will live with in my opinion.
Like the Hong Kong flu of the late 60s? You know the one that ran it's course without shutting down society resulting in far fewer deaths in the US.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm not.

There haven't been any issues of any kind with them that I've heard or read about and I follow the NBA pretty closely.
You didnt answer if there is any lasting heart issues. All you are saying is you have heard of none. You just as doctors who are doing the research are not sure and there is a possibility.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will say my neighbor who is an ER nurse (with Asthma) and her husband (diabetic) got it a couple months back and she has had the Flu before multiple times. She literally thought they were going to die at home with no will and plan in place for transitioning her kids to a close family friend. It took about 6 weeks for both to fully recover and work again. This thing is a kick in the nuts for some.