• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The one "silver lining" for the B1G and the Pac12...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC, ACC, and/or B12 decide to push through and play this fall, there will be A LOT of pressure to surrounding COVID during the season. If key players get it before big games...or if a team has a dozen or more players get it and they all miss a game or two, it's going to be be bad optics. The playoffs would have a lot of arguing to do if a team like Clemson lost a REALLY close game and Lawrence was out due to COVID, or Alabama loses a close game and half their starting defense was out due to COVID. Do they still go by the philosophy of choosing the best team, or do they put more weight on the record?

Or, obviously if they start the season and have to cancel it. The B1G and Pac12's decision to cancel could look really good in those scenarios. I'm not saying I agree with the B1G and Pac12 (I think they all should have at least started the season to see how it works out), but that is one way that they might come out on top of this whole debate on whether to start or not.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the SEC, ACC, and/or B12 decide to push through and play this fall, there will be A LOT of pressure to surrounding COVID during the season. If key players get it before big games...or if a team has a dozen or more players get it and they all miss a game or two, it's going to be be bad optics. The playoffs would have a lot of arguing to do if a team like Clemson lost a REALLY close game and Lawrence was out due to COVID, or Alabama loses a close game and half their starting defense was out due to COVID. Do they still go by the philosophy of choosing the best team, or do they put more weight on the record?

I think that in this scenario, it wouldn't be looked at much differently than if they missed a game due to injury.

Sure, there would be some folks, especially some B1G and PAC fans who would try to call them out over it, but I don't think it would change much or have much effect.

Or, obviously if they start the season and have to cancel it. The B1G and Pac12's decision to cancel could look really good in those scenarios. I'm not saying I agree with the B1G and Pac12 (I think they all should have at least started the season to see how it works out), but that is one way that they might come out on top of this whole debate on whether to start or not.

I think they would get credit for trying. I know when the NBA started talking about playing in the bubble, a lot of people were very critical of it and saying there was no way it will work.

Now it's the bubble that others sports are trying to emulate as much as their numbers and logistics allow, because it's worked pretty much perfectly.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if someone gets it the SEC, Big 12 and ACC should show some balls and let the players play.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if someone gets it the SEC, Big 12 and ACC should show some balls and let the players play.

I agree with you, but what if a Marlins or Cardinals situation happens where a dozen or so of the team comes down with COVID?

Would you want to play a team where every guy on that team on the field was practicing with those guys last week?

It could help the current image of the PAC12 or the B10 if a few games are canceled during the season due to COVID this fall?

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still should do what baseball did. Start the season, and see what happens. If you have to call it off, then so be it. But at least try.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You still should do what baseball did. Start the season, and see what happens. If you have to call it off, then so be it. But at least try.

Again, I agree, but if it comes crashing down, it will make the B10 and P12 look much better than they do now.

Personally, I'm rooting for thee SEC, B12, and ACC to have a full season in the fall!

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if only one athlete dies to covid19 this year, would you consider the season a success?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if only one athlete dies to covid19 this year, would you consider the season a success?
Yes.

You would have to prove he contradicted it by playing football which would be impossible. The baseball players that are popping positive aren't getting it on the field.

Now if a bunch come down with it (I doubt anyone dies) and many of them have heart damage then that's an absolute tragedy. The probability of that happening even to a small group is very low.

They are at more risk of serious injury.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes.

You would have to prove he contradicted it by playing football which would be impossible. The baseball players that are popping positive aren't getting it on the field.

Now if a bunch come down with it (I doubt anyone dies) and many of them have heart damage then that's an absolute tragedy. The probability of that happening even to a small group is very low.

They are at more risk of serious injury.

Here is where it makes me shake my head at it all. I don't think I've heard of one college or professional athlete that has died from it, Also, they are worried about heart and lung problems from it, but they play football. CTE doesn't bother them? How about all the back and neck injuries every year?

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its going to be a mess.

All it will take is 1 small outbreak to shut everything down. Thats even if they get to the point where they actually start a season. Not that I agree with this, but the political pressure would be way too heavy for them to carry on.

Its unrealistic to expect 18-22 year olds to comply to basically staying at home for the whole time. At least a few players are bound to get it, which likely leads to them transferring it to teammates

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that in this scenario, it wouldn't be looked at much differently than if they missed a game due to injury.

Sure, there would be some folks, especially some B1G and PAC fans who would try to call them out over it, but I don't think it would change much or have much effect.

I think they would get credit for trying. I know when the NBA started talking about playing in the bubble, a lot of people were very critical of it and saying there was no way it will work.

Now it's the bubble that others sports are trying to emulate as much as their numbers and logistics allow, because it's worked pretty much perfectly.
I disagree, most injuries are not contagious.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I agree, but if it comes crashing down, it will make the B10 and P12 look much better than they do now.

Personally, I'm rooting for thee SEC, B12, and ACC to have a full season in the fall!
I know you aren't doing this but we are going to see a lot of B1G and PAC fans hoping that the Alpha 3 conferences fail. It's already happening on twitter. You want to have your decisions validated, that's natural I suppose.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only one athlete gets paralyzed in a year, or one athlete gets CTE issues, do you consider it a success? The game of football has incredible risks for permanent injury.

Since 2000, 33 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) football players have died in sport: 27 nontraumatic deaths and 6 traumatic deaths, a ratio of 4.5 nontraumatic deaths for every traumatic death. On average, 2 NCAA football players die per season. NCAA Football Off-Season Training: Unanswered Prayers… A Prayer Answered.

High school and college football fatalities averaged 12.2 per year, or 1 per 100,000 participants. There were 164 indirect (systemic) fatalities (average, 8.2 annually [or 0.7 per 100,000 participants]) and 79 direct (traumatic) fatalities (average, 4.0 annually [or 0.3 per 100,000 participants]). Fatalities in high school and college football players - PubMed

What about concussions: According to the statistics collected by the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program, concussions that occur in student athletes are common and should always be assessed by a medical professional. Between 1.7 and 3 million sports- and recreation-related concussions happen each year. Around 300,000 are football-related. Concussion Statistics and Facts | UPMC | Pittsburgh.

I can go on and on. Yet, only now we are concerned with injuries and death in an inherently dangerous sport.

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you aren't doing this but we are going to see a lot of B1G and PAC fans hoping that the Alpha 3 conferences fail. It's already happening on twitter. You want to have your decisions validated, that's natural I suppose.
This - hopefully as we move closer to the season we see more support for the conferences that are trying their best still to make this work. Already a shitty world out there, hopefully we can at least have some college ball in the process.
:suds:

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

117116884_1419092868289904_615767437362773180_n.jpg

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, most injuries are not contagious.

Is there a risk of 'permanent' injury every time a football player takes the field in practice or a game?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If only one athlete gets paralyzed in a year, or one athlete gets CTE issues, do you consider it a success? The game of football has incredible risks for permanent injury.

Since 2000, 33 National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) football players have died in sport: 27 nontraumatic deaths and 6 traumatic deaths, a ratio of 4.5 nontraumatic deaths for every traumatic death. On average, 2 NCAA football players die per season. NCAA Football Off-Season Training: Unanswered Prayers… A Prayer Answered.

High school and college football fatalities averaged 12.2 per year, or 1 per 100,000 participants. There were 164 indirect (systemic) fatalities (average, 8.2 annually [or 0.7 per 100,000 participants]) and 79 direct (traumatic) fatalities (average, 4.0 annually [or 0.3 per 100,000 participants]). Fatalities in high school and college football players - PubMed

What about concussions: According to the statistics collected by the UPMC Sports Medicine Concussion Program, concussions that occur in student athletes are common and should always be assessed by a medical professional. Between 1.7 and 3 million sports- and recreation-related concussions happen each year. Around 300,000 are football-related. Concussion Statistics and Facts | UPMC | Pittsburgh.

I can go on and on. Yet, only now we are concerned with injuries and death in an inherently dangerous sport.
:ninja:

You said it a lot better than I did.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was the 2018 season a success after the MD football player died of a heatstroke?

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One kid gets it and then boom, everybody gets it. It spreads like wildfire. There’s simply no way this season’s happening. The other conferences will eventually follow suit. It sucks to be sure, but it’s also the reality.