• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The offseason stuff thread

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EK: "Waiting during a layover for my connecting flight to Dallas and some Priest comes up and starts quizzing me. Weird"
Also important to remember that it would be tampering if we did talk to him.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly's retaining 30% of Gudas' contract.

So they give up the better (IMO) player and retain salary while taking on a higher cap hit.

Why are they helping the Caps here lol
I've never understood why people think Gudas is some sort of underrated gem. He's a hard-hitting, but stupid stay-at-home type. I'm willing to say he fills the same sort of space that the Caps used John Erskine or Dennis Wideman for. Niskanen wasn't the best d-man ever, but he could move the puck and do a reasonably good job even-strength, PP and PK.

You are right that the Caps did better by this trade. They shed $11.5M over the next two years, while picking up a 1-year rental in Gudas, who costs them only $1.75M. The Caps get significant help with cap space, and the Flyers get... what? Roll the dice with Niskanen and hope he reverts to his 2013-14 form?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also important to remember that it would be tampering if we did talk to him.

So we sent

"The mouth of God"

_102220391_diegomaradona.jpg

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood why people think Gudas is some sort of underrated gem. He's a hard-hitting, but stupid stay-at-home type. I'm willing to say he fills the same sort of space that the Caps used John Erskine or Dennis Wideman for. Niskanen wasn't the best d-man ever, but he could move the puck and do a reasonably good job even-strength, PP and PK.

You are right that the Caps did better by this trade. They shed $11.5M over the next two years, while picking up a 1-year rental in Gudas, who costs them only $1.75M. The Caps get significant help with cap space, and the Flyers get... what? Roll the dice with Niskanen and hope he reverts to his 2013-14 form?
Good stay at home guys who can get the puck to the players who know how to move it are of great value. Gudas does that with ease.

He takes too many bad penalties and, yeah, he's had suspensions. If he can stay out of the DOPS office he's a good player and definitely an upgrade on Niskanen, who looks about as done as can be, for a team who still has Cup ambitions but may be looking at some pretty seismic changes in the next few years.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stay at home guys who can get the puck to the players who know how to move it are of great value. Gudas does that with ease.
I’ve only ever seen him make stupid stick penalties. As a puck mover, he’s not as valuable for offense.

He takes too many bad penalties and, yeah, he's had suspensions. If he can stay out of the DOPS office he's a good player and definitely an upgrade on Niskanen, who looks about as done as can be
Well, overpriced and not worth the effort, the Caps’ front office probably thought. Gudas won’t be re-signed though.

The Caps have, through good personnel management, come up with a decent (not great) defensive corps:

Carlson (7)
Orlov (4)
Kempny (3)
Jensen (4)
Siegenthaler (1)
Gudas (1)
Djoos (RFA)

That’s a good top 4, at least. The Caps also probably have the first right of refusal for Orpik, who is basically the older, slower version of Gudas.

for a team who still has Cup ambitions but may be looking at some pretty seismic changes in the next few years.
Like what- Ovechkin not renewing? There’s really not much else, since the core of younger forwards is there with Kuznetsov, Oshie, Jaskin, etc. Ovie could leave, yeah. Maybe he wants to start fresh with putting his mark in a new team or play in Russia. It really will come down to whether he wants to try for Gretzky’s goal record, I’d say, and what team gives him the best platform to do it.

Last edited:

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve only ever seen him make stupid stick penalties. As a puck mover, he’s not as valuable for offense.

Well, overpriced and not worth the effort, the Caps’ front office probably thought. Gudas won’t be re-signed though.

The Caps have, through good personnel management, come up with a decent (not great) defensive corps:

Carlson (7)
Orlov (4)
Kempny (3)
Jensen (4)
Siegenthaler (1)
Gudas (1)
Djoos (RFA)

That’s a good top 4, at least. The Caps also probably have the first right of refusal for Orpik, who is basically the older, slower version of Gudas.

Like what- Ovechkin not renewing? There’s really not much else, since the core of younger forwards is there with Kuznetsov, Oshie, Jaskin, etc. Ovie could leave, yeah. Maybe he wants to start fresh with putting his mark in a new team or play in Russia. It really will come down to whether he wants to try for Gretzky’s goal record, I’d say, and what team gives him the best platform to do it.
Never meant he was a puck mover, more that he can clear his own zone without icing the puck every two attempts or feeding it right into the path of a rushing first liner. Even with the bad penalties it’s better than what Niskanen was contributing at this point which is why I’m so confused as to why Philly would help out a division rival to this extent. They lost on both talent and money.

Backstrom and Holtby are both free agents next year and yeah, then ovechkin, is what I was referring to.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Kings have bought out veteran defenceman Dion Phaneuf.
Phaneuf has two years left and his seven-year, $49 million contract originally signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2015.
The 34-year-old scored one goal and added five assists over 67 games in 2018-19 with the Kings, his second year with the club.

Los Angeles Kings to buy out veteran D Dion Phaneuf - TSN.ca

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats a cliffhanger finish huh dash lol

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Kings have bought out veteran defenceman Dion Phaneuf.
Phaneuf has two years left and his seven-year, $49 million contract originally signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2015.
The 34-year-old scored one goal and added five assists over 67 games in 2018-19 with the Kings, his second year with the club.

Los Angeles Kings to buy out veteran D Dion Phaneuf - TSN.ca

OOF

Cap Hit of buyout
19/20, OTT: $729,167 LAK: $2,187,500
20/21, OTT: $1,354,167 LAK: $4,062,500
21/22, OTT: $354,167 LAK: $1,062,500
22/23, OTT: $354,167 LAK: $1,062,500

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice trade for the Pens.

If Dubas wasn’t in on this for Zaitsev I’m asking questions. Kahun would’ve made a very nice Kadri replacement.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never meant he was a puck mover, more that he can clear his own zone without icing the puck every two attempts or feeding it right into the path of a rushing first liner.
So... the minimum standard of quality for an NHL d-man.

Even with the bad penalties it’s better than what Niskanen was contributing at this point which is why I’m so confused as to why Philly would help out a division rival to this extent. They lost on both talent and money.
Oh, okay I see. Yeah, I agree. I'm going to guess it's because Philly has a poorly run front office. Even in the old Caps GMGM days, a deal as bad as this one was rare.

Backstrom and Holtby are both free agents next year and yeah, then ovechkin, is what I was referring to.
Well, they just freed up enough cap space for both, in a given year. The most pressing needs though are to resign depth forwards like Vrana, Burakovsky and Connolly. That's what this move was all about. I'm going to guess Chandler Stephenson is gone, and there's a tough decision to be made about Dmitri Jaskin.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... the minimum standard of quality for an NHL d-man.
Right, but it's not like they're out there in abundance. There's definitely a value to them.

Well, they just freed up enough cap space for both, in a given year. The most pressing needs though are to resign depth forwards like Vrana, Burakovsky and Connolly. That's what this move was all about. I'm going to guess Chandler Stephenson is gone, and there's a tough decision to be made about Dmitri Jaskin.
I think it's more of a "do they want to keep the same gang together" decision than a cap issue (at least for now; changes if they decide to go headfirst into the FA market). I know the Caps have a couple of goalie prospects they like and may be facing a similar situation as TB did with Bishop, and Backstrom's as much a legend as Ovie but if he's looking for that last payday there's a chance they pass.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, but it's not like they're out there in abundance. There's definitely a value to them.
It’s the #1 most cheapened position across the NHL, and has barely improved in overall quality since the expansion era of the early 1990s. Great d-men are rare, and a decent group of 3-4 is all most teams can reasonably ask for. I’m just not going to get excited by someone like Radko Gudas. I’ve seen him before on the Caps as John Erskine, Jeff Schultz, Joe Reekie even...

I think it's more of a "do they want to keep the same gang together" decision than a cap issue (at least for now; changes if they decide to go headfirst into the FA market). I know the Caps have a couple of goalie prospects they like and may be facing a similar situation as TB did with Bishop, and Backstrom's as much a legend as Ovie but if he's looking for that last payday there's a chance they pass.
It will really depend on what Backstrom wants to be paid. The guy could command a top-20 salary, were he to hit free agency. It’s an interesting case to see how much he values playing for the team that drafted him and has both given him so much, and benefited from his stellar play.

As for Holtby, I don’t know. The market for goalies is set pretty rigidly by the NHL board of governors these days. There are always so many good prospects that no single guy seems guaranteed to stay with one organization for 8 years, let alone his entire career. The Caps have done reasonably well over the last 15 or so years in having a quality goaltending pipeline.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This does two things for the Jackets:
1) Makes Chicago leave Ryan Murray alone
2) Moves Jack Johnson up the Pens D rotation
With Riikola and Ruhwedal on 1 way deals hopefully that means he is 8th now.