• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE OFFICIAL UNOFFICIAL STEELERS BS THREAD..PART 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelersrie

Go Lil E #88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GodBless01.jpg

freedom-isnt-free2.jpg

grivvysmaller.jpg

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not quite ready, Rie. Gonna visit friends in the Burgh, and have some things to do first.

Good pictures, BTW. Was the last one someone you knew?

Steelerin MS

Seriously?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Set for the weekend, pool guy was here, bought too much meat grill is going to be tired. Beer fridge is full, All Is Good!

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rie, I know you're not on right now, but thank you for reminding me...

I need to pick up a small flag for a vet's grave in the town where I live. A forgotten vet...the Legion, VFW and Scouts decorate all the other veteran's graves, but this one fellow's resting place always gets overlooked, so I've sort of adopted him.

The irony is that most of those other vets survived their wartime service, came home, raised families and died of natural causes, usually old age. Not to take anything away from them, but "my" veteran paid the ultimate price. His name, lest it be forgotten by history, was Samuel Deforest, and he died in 1864 at Chattanooga, TN, of wounds sustained in battle. He was young enough to be my son. I guess he's been overlooked because his grave stone is so badly worn, it's hard to read. Only history nerds like me read old tombstones, I guess.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I need to pick up a small flag for a vet's grave in the town where I live. A forgotten vet...the Legion, VFW and Scouts decorate all the other veteran's graves, but this one fellow's resting place always gets overlooked, so I've sort of adopted him.

The irony is that most of those other vets survived their wartime service, came home, raised families and died of natural causes, usually old age. Not to take anything away from them, but "my" veteran paid the ultimate price. His name, lest it be forgotten by history, was Samuel Deforest, and he died in 1864 at Chattanooga, TN, of wounds sustained in battle. He was young enough to be my son. I guess he's been overlooked because his grave stone is so badly worn, it's hard to read. Only history nerds like me read old tombstones, I guess.

that's a great story, north

WestEndVol

Rarest Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's really awesome that you would do something like that.

:rip: :usa2:

Steelerin MS

Seriously?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great story North. I will sit back and think about my friends I lost throughout my military career and afterwards. That is a great gesture on your part. Hat's off!

NorthCoastSteelersFan

Sleep...now.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really awesome that you would do something like that.

:rip: :usa2:

Thanks, but it's no great sacrifice on my part. A small flag costs a couple of bucks at the drug store, and I walk my dogs in that cemetery every day.

Memorial day is about those who served, and I never had the privilege, but I try to remember those who did, especially since my Dad was a disabled WW II vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.