• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NWA is back and has a TV show (sorta)

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billy Corgan (yes, the one from the Smashing Pumpkins) bought the National Wrestling Alliance a couple of years back and has been slowly rebooting it. Did some partnerships with ROH previously but now they are branching out on their own.

Today they announced a weekly TV show, broadcast for free on youtube, starting October 8th. Live streams at 6:05pm but you can watch it any time after.

The style is suppose to be a studio based show, just like the NWA shows from the 70s/80s.

ThereIsNoPlace

The New Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you know if they use a computer-generated Eazy-E?
DopeyRemorsefulChrysomelid-size_restricted.gif

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had their tapings and looking over the spoilers, they have a few recognizable names, especially if you watched TNA before it became Impact.

Nick Aldis, James Storm, Homicide. Then there's Colt Cabana, Mr. Anderson (aka Mr. Kennedy in WWE), Aron Stevens (aka Damien Sandow in WWE), and Melina.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First episode below (1 hr long). Definitely has that retro/old school look and feel. I'm sure if you grew up with this kind of presentation this would be a major nostalgia trip for you. For those that didn't, it's still unique and different in a good way. I might not catch it every week but it was fun enough to pass the time and I'll check it out again

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Episode 2 was just as solid as the first. I'm impressed by how well produced it is and just how much they get done in an hour

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good replacement though I'd prefer if he were in the ring. Barrett was underrated

Their match style is so old school and methodical it might be the right place for him to wrestle since hes been injury prone

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ive never been the biggest Marty Scurll fan but still what a coup for the NWA. The "hottest free agent" thing is sort of a cliche but it works here as everybody wanted to know where he shows up next

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new episode is a lot of fun

BIG POPPA PUMP HAS GOT YOUR HOOK UP! HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME!

Seriously though, if you've got the time, NWA is a fun little wrestling show. I recommend it

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's a lot of buzz for the Aldis/Scurrl segment that closed the most recent episode of NWA Power and rightfully so.

Aldis's career rehabilitation is every bit as impressive as Cody or Drew, it's just happening in front of a smaller audience. He carries himself like a star and is of the most compelling performers in wrestling right now.

AEW has an anti-writers stance but ROH should strongly consider giving Corgan/Lagana creative control. They're doing incredible things on a shoestring budget. I'd love to see what they could do with that type of financial backing. Plus what does ROH have to lose.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a lot of buzz for the Aldis/Scurrl segment that closed the most recent episode of NWA Power and rightfully so.

Aldis's career rehabilitation is every bit as impressive as Cody or Drew, it's just happening in front of a smaller audience. He carries himself like a star and is of the most compelling performers in wrestling right now.

AEW has an anti-writers stance but ROH should strongly consider giving Corgan/Lagana creative control. They're doing incredible things on a shoestring budget. I'd love to see what they could do with that type of financial backing. Plus what does ROH have to lose.

I quit watching ROH after Supercard last year after a couple years of being frustrated with ROH's really shitty writing. Like they would have good matches, but nothing had any meaning. The last parts of 2018 up until the 2019 Supercard show, the only thing worth a damn on ROH was the NWA stuff that those two produced. So yeah, they deserve more resources wherever it comes from

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quit watching ROH after Supercard last year after a couple years of being frustrated with ROH's really shitty writing. Like they would have good matches, but nothing had any meaning. The last parts of 2018 up until the 2019 Supercard show, the only thing worth a damn on ROH was the NWA stuff that those two produced. So yeah, they deserve more resources wherever it comes from
I've never been one to watch a lot of ROH. I try to watch it here and there but not on a regular basis. The Matt Taven reign at the top probably killed a lot of their business. They definitely should've either had Lethal retain or Marty win the belt at MSG.

It's well deserved. I really enjoyed those 10 minutes. I definitely think that an ROH/NWA partnership continuing would be beneficial for both companies. On top of that, if they can add in AEW to that partnership, it'd still work out well for everyone because there's a lot of people that need more ring time that don't get a lot in AEW so going to either of those places, or New Japan would only make the talent and the company better in the long run.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

The thing that shocks me is how competitive they've been with contracts. I figured they would go smaller after the Elite left but it seems like they're spending a ton of money to acquire and retain talent. If you put that type of budget behind a Corgan/Lagana vision I think you'd have an ROH renaissance.

If you include their time together in TNA you have Broken Matt Hardy, the 10 pounds of gold vignettes, the old school studio show aesthetic, the rise of Nick Aldis...

I know they're entering some type of creative partnership with ROH but I honestly think they should take the lead in it.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've never been one to watch a lot of ROH. I try to watch it here and there but not on a regular basis. The Matt Taven reign at the top probably killed a lot of their business. They definitely should've either had Lethal retain or Marty win the belt at MSG.

It's well deserved. I really enjoyed those 10 minutes. I definitely think that an ROH/NWA partnership continuing would be beneficial for both companies. On top of that, if they can add in AEW to that partnership, it'd still work out well for everyone because there's a lot of people that need more ring time that don't get a lot in AEW so going to either of those places, or New Japan would only make the talent and the company better in the long run.

Apparently the story behind the Taven run is that ROH wanted to book Scurrl to win the title at MSG but Scurrl was against it as he was going to be taking losses in an NJPW tournament.

I'm not sure if it'll be a partnership with an ROH level company but AEW definitely need a working agreement somewhere that will allow their younger talent to get some experience off TV. That'd be the most obvious way to improve the women's division.

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the story behind the Taven run is that ROH wanted to book Scurrl to win the title at MSG but Scurrl was against it as he was going to be taking losses in an NJPW tournament.

I'm not sure if it'll be a partnership with an ROH level company but AEW definitely need a working agreement somewhere that will allow their younger talent to get some experience off TV. That'd be the most obvious way to improve the women's division.
That makes sense. In that case, they probably should’ve put it on him after the Super Juniors tournament because the ROH product took a nosedive with Taven on top.
Not only the women’s division, but it’d help guys like Private Party as well. They’d be great candidates for going to Japan when they do both of their tag tournaments.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that shocks me is how competitive they've been with contracts. I figured they would go smaller after the Elite left but it seems like they're spending a ton of money to acquire and retain talent. If you put that type of budget behind a Corgan/Lagana vision I think you'd have an ROH renaissance.

If you include their time together in TNA you have Broken Matt Hardy, the 10 pounds of gold vignettes, the old school studio show aesthetic, the rise of Nick Aldis...

I know they're entering some type of creative partnership with ROH but I honestly think they should take the lead in it.

It appears the Elite leaving and starting AEW was a wake up call to ROH that they needed to get their shit together. They literally had all the creative talent that became AEW on their roster and the financial resources to make it happen but they blew it. The deal with Marty and some moves they've made over the last few weeks indicate they are making a serious investment to try to turn their ship around and be competitive. But really, they had no choice. While wrestling is really popular at the moment, I've thought that one of the companies (ROH, Impact, MLW) would eventually fold after AEW came along. With them and WWE (who is signing up everyone), there just isn't enough people out there to keep things going. Eventually, something will have to give. If ROH didn't make an investment now, they could have died quickly

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was disappointing, I was hoping for a Netflix series with Dre and a robot EE