• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The not-way-too-early FA wish list

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not way too early to be talking free agents because our boys will be sitting home in October just like the rest of us, so we might as well start focusing on who we can realistically target for 2020. I had to emphasize that word because even tho the Sox are easily in financial position to match any ball club in the majors with respect to offering the highest dollar contract to the most in demand players, we all know that they won't. In other words, the FA who will likely receive the biggest contract in the offseason, namely Gerrit Cole, will undoubtedly be off our team's radar (actually, Anthony Rendon has a legit shot at nabbing the highest offseason contract, but we're set at 3b with Moncada, so even if we could afford Rendon, I doubt he'll be on any Sox shopping list).

I'm open to opinions as to positions of need or specific FAs we should target. I definitely see a need for at least one SP, perhaps a couple of BP, and without question an OF, preferably RF. I wouldn't mind two OFs, which would allow Jimenez to primarily man the DH spot, as this is a sore need for this club, being that no team in the AL has had less production from the DH spot than the Pale Hose.

Potential targets:

(SP) Jake Odorizzi
(SP) Zack Wheeler
(SP) Hyun-Jin Ryu
(BP) Will Harris
(BP) Chris Martin
(BP) Juan Nicasio
(RF) Nicholas Castellanos
(OF) Cameron Maybin
(RF) Avisail Garcia

As to landing a SP, I'm guessing our best and most affordable chance is either with Odorizzi or Wheeler. I'd like at least one of those middle BP pitchers. As for the OF, Castellanos is my top choice, altho Maybin, who's always been a topnotch defensive OF but never much with the stick, has quietly had a productive year with his bat as well - perhaps a really late bloomer. Or who knows, maybe Avi will find his way back in a Sox uni.

BTW, all of the above are unrestricted FAs, meaning there are no club or mutual options held on any of them.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not way too early to be talking free agents because our boys will be sitting home in October just like the rest of us, so we might as well start focusing on who we can realistically target for 2020. I had to emphasize that word because even tho the Sox are easily in financial position to match any ball club in the majors with respect to offering the highest dollar contract to the most in demand players, we all know that they won't. In other words, the FA who will likely receive the biggest contract in the offseason, namely Gerrit Cole, will undoubtedly be off our team's radar (actually, Anthony Rendon has a legit shot at nabbing the highest offseason contract, but we're set at 3b with Moncada, so even if we could afford Rendon, I doubt he'll be on any Sox shopping list).

I'm open to opinions as to positions of need or specific FAs we should target. I definitely see a need for at least one SP, perhaps a couple of BP, and without question an OF, preferably RF. I wouldn't mind two OFs, which would allow Jimenez to primarily man the DH spot, as this is a sore need for this club, being that no team in the AL has had less production from the DH spot than the Pale Hose.

Potential targets:

(SP) Jake Odorizzi
(SP) Zack Wheeler
(SP) Hyun-Jin Ryu
(BP) Will Harris
(BP) Chris Martin
(BP) Juan Nicasio
(RF) Nicholas Castellanos
(OF) Cameron Maybin
(RF) Avisail Garcia

As to landing a SP, I'm guessing our best and most affordable chance is either with Odorizzi or Wheeler. I'd like at least one of those middle BP pitchers. As for the OF, Castellanos is my top choice, altho Maybin, who's always been a topnotch defensive OF but never much with the stick, has quietly had a productive year with his bat as well - perhaps a really late bloomer. Or who knows, maybe Avi will find his way back in a Sox uni.

BTW, all of the above are unrestricted FAs, meaning there are no club or mutual options held on any of them.

From what I see, Gerrit Cole isn't under any type of potential team control either. No?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I see, Gerrit Cole isn't under any type of potential team control either. No?
No, not at all, he's a total FA this offseason. However, the reason I didn't include his name on my list was because I'm going on the assumption that the Sox won't pony up the $$$ to sign him, and I think we all agree it will take some big time numbers to ink him. Otherwise, he'd be #1 on my wish list and 2nd place wouldn't be all that close.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not at all, he's a total FA this offseason. However, the reason I didn't include his name on my list was because I'm going on the assumption that the Sox won't pony up the $$$ to sign him, and I think we all agree it will take some big time numbers to ink him. Otherwise, he'd be #1 on my wish list and 2nd place wouldn't be all that close.

I mean... he's going to be sizably cheaper than what we offered Machado. I don't see a single reason why we wouldn't do it. The White Sox FO is under so much pressure to ink a big name and spend this money. They might just overpay for the hell of it. Definitely not a year I worry about them being cheap.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean... he's going to be sizably cheaper than what we offered Machado. I don't see a single reason why we wouldn't do it. The White Sox FO is under so much pressure to ink a big name and spend this money. They might just overpay for the hell of it. Definitely not a year I worry about them being cheap.
Hey bud, I hope you're right. Like I said, he's #1 by far on my wish list, but I simply don't feel the Sox will outbid what will undoubtedly be a number of suitors. The one area we might disagree on is what that contract amount will be. I think it's going to be monstrous, flat out monstrous. You obviously feel it will be a lot less. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey bud, I hope you're right. Like I said, he's #1 by far on my wish list, but I simply don't feel the Sox will outbid what will undoubtedly be a number of suitors. The one area we might disagree on is what that contract amount will be. I think it's going to be monstrous, flat out monstrous. You obviously feel it will be a lot less. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

That's fair enough. I just know pitchers do not get what positional players do. So, we're not talking Machado money. That's all I mean. I'm sure it will be sizeable.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are nowhere near .500 this year. No way Reinsdorf signs somebody like Cole for huge money.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are nowhere near .500 this year. No way Reinsdorf signs somebody like Cole for huge money.
I would dearly love to disagree with you, but I can't because I think you're right.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duplicate

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the players that we should keep on our current ML roster:

Garcia
Abreu
Anderson
Moncada
Jimenez
McCann
Giolito
Bummer
Colome
Nova
One of Rodon or Lopez (Not a huge fan of either, I guess we can give Lopez another go at the latter part of the rotation since he's showed some promise and, well, we have a million holes so whatever we probably have to eat one of them into next year...but both probably means we suck ass again since it's doubtful we'll fill 10 or so gaping holes with scraps from FA and rookies)

That's it. Everyone else on the roster can eat a dick.

Even with all the ones I list staying intact, who the f*ck knows if we are any good anyway...I think that would be an average team at best assuming we filled the holes with players that aren't complete dung like the ones in the current slots.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an interesting take and a good read from NBC Sports Chicago, where the focus should be on adding power in the offseason:

Sox can aid crusade to contend by adding pop this winter

The one they're primarily focused on is JD Martinez, who according to the going talk, plans to exercise his opt out option. But if he does, it will come at a hefty price. He's already making huge coin and thinks it not enough. Again, like I was stating about the Sox's chance at landing Gerrit Cole, my guess is it would be an uphill climb to think they'll pony up for Martinez, altho just like with Cole, I would love to be wrong about that.