• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NFC South Thread ...

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... here it is, what you've all been waiting for - ok preview here.

As I see it, here are some big questions:
Are the Falcons really as good as all that? Can Ryan take them to the next level?

Will the Aints D get better, as they buck a trend and move to a 3-4?

The Bucs secondary was #32 last year. How much will it improve with Revis and (maybe) rookie CB Jonathan Banks?

Can Cam start putting up wins to match up with his stats? Can the D-line play like it did down the stretch last year, and pressure the QB to take some heat off a dubious secondary? Can we get the run game going this year?

I also wonder how well the division's teams are going to fare against NFCW.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general public seems to be writing Atlanta in as an automatic winner of the South......and I couldn't disagree anymore. Sure the Falcons will be good but I just do NOT see them sustaining what they did last year. Personally(and fan bias aside), I got my Saints taking it this year. I think our defense will be average(or close to average). 2 lesser known names that could(and I think will) be impact players on our defense is Junior Gallete and Kenny Vaccaro. Gallette will be our best rusher and Vaccaro brings a tough nosed mindset that on defense that we've needed for a WHILE. Our offense goes without saying, though there will be a couple of young guys that will have to step up at receiver. I think people are sleeping BIG TIME on Tampa Bay. They have some nice pieces there. As for Carolina, I guess the big question is can Cam find his rookie year magic again?

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The general public seems to be writing Atlanta in as an automatic winner of the South......and I couldn't disagree anymore.
Panthers went 1-1, and should have swept them last year. I think every divisional game this year is a coin toss. Falcons lost a couple key OLmen.
I got my Saints taking it this year. I think our defense will be average(or close to average). 2 lesser known names that could(and I think will) be impact players on our defense is Junior Gallete and Kenny Vaccaro.
Wouldn't be surprised, and they're the team that could cause the most damage to our record, since we swept them last year. Vacarro was a good pick for you guys. Don't know what the psychological impact of having Payton back will be, but I'm guessing major upside.
As for Carolina, I guess the big question is can Cam find his rookie year magic again?
During the last 8 games, he was one of the best-rated QBs last year, and we won 4 out of 5 after a 3-8 start. He has to be more accurate, especially on the touch stuff in the red zone. We're lacking playmakers at wideout beyond Steve Smith, but there have been some good reports about Armanti Edwards and Ted Ginn (though there's plenty of reason to be skeptical, there). Brandon Lafell has to step up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea.

The numbers say that the Falcons got lucky and should regress and that the Panthers were unlucky and should improve.

But even with the Falcons regressing, they had such a big lead over the rest of the division that they'd need something to go wrong not to be the favorite. I think their offseason is a bit of a push. They got Steven Jackson but the wimpy Peter Konz might be their Center and I have no clue about their RT. I mean, we've all seen Jackson behind bad olines before but its not going to generate any real improvement in the run game. They got Osi but they are relying on young players at CB which is not something that Im terribly comfortable with in that division. So they are probably the same team from last year except maybe they lose an extra close game or 2.

I believe the only grass games for the Saints are @Tampa, @Chicago, @Carolina. Thats not bad at all. They have new coaching on D which could help. They have the scandal behind them. I do think there is one year of Drew Brees having a great year with a bad Defense and I believe they finished 7-9 but the general thought is that if the D gets any better than bottom 3 in the league then they'll be at least challenging for a Wild Card.

Tampa Bay is a scary team on paper but they need it to click. If the Dline is healthy and they improve, If Revis comes back, If the Oline stays healthy, If the good Josh Freeman shows up...

Well, thats one heck of a team.

There are definitely a lot of ways for that to fail.

Carolina finished strong last year and had a pretty good point differential, both of which suggest that they'll see improvement. They also had a really good draft but DTs can sometimes take a year or 2 to develop. Their secondary still looks pretty bad, though, and they are in the wrong division for that. I could see them even doing better against the NFC West than the NFC South.

RonBorges

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased because I like Bucs, their coach, and some of the moves they made recently.

I am hoping that Tampa emerges. I think Saints will fall out of the mix and compete with Carolina for 4th place in the Division.

I hate dome teams, so I will be rooting against Atlanta... but they are loaded.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I live in NFCS country.

My thoughts...It could be a brutal in DIV this year. I'm thinking nearly every team will split the DIV games. ATL & NO have the best offenses, TB probably the best DEF, but I just don't see them or CAR winning enough road games to win the DIV.

DEF comes together quicker than OFC so the Saints may not have much problem switching to a 3-4, but they don't have many playmakers on DEF...ATL 11-5 to win take the south, but I would not be surprised to see them go 10-6 and that might be a tie break situation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea.

The numbers say that the Falcons got lucky and should regress and that the Panthers were unlucky and should improve.

But even with the Falcons regressing, they had such a big lead over the rest of the division that they'd need something to go wrong not to be the favorite. I think their offseason is a bit of a push. They got Steven Jackson but the wimpy Peter Konz might be their Center and I have no clue about their RT. I mean, we've all seen Jackson behind bad olines before but its not going to generate any real improvement in the run game. They got Osi but they are relying on young players at CB which is not something that Im terribly comfortable with in that division. So they are probably the same team from last year except maybe they lose an extra close game or 2.

I believe the only grass games for the Saints are @Tampa, @Chicago, @Carolina. Thats not bad at all. They have new coaching on D which could help. They have the scandal behind them. I do think there is one year of Drew Brees having a great year with a bad Defense and I believe they finished 7-9 but the general thought is that if the D gets any better than bottom 3 in the league then they'll be at least challenging for a Wild Card.

Tampa Bay is a scary team on paper but they need it to click. If the Dline is healthy and they improve, If Revis comes back, If the Oline stays healthy, If the good Josh Freeman shows up...

Well, thats one heck of a team.

There are definitely a lot of ways for that to fail.

Carolina finished strong last year and had a pretty good point differential, both of which suggest that they'll see improvement. They also had a really good draft but DTs can sometimes take a year or 2 to develop. Their secondary still looks pretty bad, though, and they are in the wrong division for that. I could see them even doing better against the NFC West than the NFC South.

Pretty fair assessment there. I think Konz will be fine @ C though his natural position...imo the issue will be RT & DE.

IMO the team that is a big mystery is TB...you're right, on paper they look solid even though I think they way over paid their #2 WR.

CAR...until they put a legit WR opposite Steve Smith they will be an up and down team

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta will be #2 for sure. #3 possibly. I'm predicting them to go 9-7, 7-9/8-8 if White/Jones/Gonzo get injured (one of them).

That team has zero defensive talent and their offense is full of has beens in Gonzo and Jackson who are long overdue for injuries. Jones/White are studs but if either go down that's it for the Falcons. Ryan is not an elite Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Brees QB. He needs the weapons to get it done.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta will be #2 for sure. #3 possibly. I'm predicting them to go 9-7, 7-9/8-8 if White/Jones/Gonzo get injured (one of them).

That team has zero defensive talent and their offense is full of has beens in Gonzo and Jackson who are long overdue for injuries. Jones/White are studs but if either go down that's it for the Falcons. Ryan is not an elite Brady/Rodgers/Manning/Brees QB. He needs the weapons to get it done.

You're making some hater type (no basis) comments, and some legit football comments, so I'm wondering what your angle is here.

Zero? William Moore, Spoon, Samuel, and Umeniyora would start on just about every team in the league.

Full of has beens? You mentioned 2 players and that's full I suppose. I would ask you to look at their performance from LY...yea they are closer to the end than the middle no doubt, but still effective.

Elite...this is the term of the era I guess. What does it mean? (serious question) Every QB needs weapons...Brady & Manning have been running the same OFC systems since they started, yes they can make avg. WRs look better. I challenge you to find any other QBs that can do that. Rodgers imo is the best total pkg player at the position and he doesn't.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL...all these graphics, logos, etc. and I never paid any attention to yours until just now...I get it now. Go Hawks!

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly looking at the first team preseason snaps. Atlanta has the same kind of offense drive down the field get a TD one drive, then a FG the next, then punt one drive. Nothing new and different. Also, I saw that when Jackson was going the receivers didnt make plays at times. We'll see how this plays out. Saints defense looks like it may be built to stop pocket passers. And their blitzes in the past have confused Atlanta and Ryan. I think either the saints or panthers win the division. No one has won this division two straight years and luck doesnt go your way two straight years in the final minutes. Atlanta will have some tough games at Miami, Arizona(they did last year), Carolina, Toronto(bills off of a bye week) or Green Bay and at home against NE, TB, Seattle. And the saints games come down to who want them more. Usually, the saints have wanted it more. Is Roddy's trash talking legitimate or a distraction? Do the falcons deserve the success the saints have had or are they perpetuating their way to it. They have done a good job forcing the media to disrespect Brees and the saints. We'll see if the falcons have finally told the saints its their turn or not and if Brees is flat out dethroned.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is Atlanta doesnt want to sweep the saints and then saints still make playoffs.